kelvin vs. lumens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

seagull

in your opinion, whats better having the correct kelvin band or having more lumens.

This example is during a veg period:
ge 1000 watt metal halide is 100000 lumens but only 3700 kelvin
coolsun 1000 watt metal halide is 80000 lumens and 6500 kelvin (correct kelvin color, but 20% less lumens)

thanks

I'm no expert on it, so I might be wrong, but I think the Coolsun would be preferable. Giving you more lumens at the correct wavelengths.

that sounds intelligent, and the coolsun was 60 dollars more, so its priced as better quality. Plus it is a beautiful blue hue, when I entered the chamber for the first time with the new light bulb installed, well all I can say is, its amazing.

Your numbers seem a bit odd. Do you remeber the name of the 100000 lumen halide? That is off the charts as far as I know. Your are thinking of an HPS. For veg you may have chosen correct if your looking for your plants to have as little stretching ad possible. However I am currently growing 3 plants, 2 NL #5 and a Master Kush, under a 600w hps. These were placed under that lamp as soon as they showed roots. I am using a GH Rainforest 6, these plants are growing at an unbelievable rate. I keep that light as close as I can. I guess my point is, The 6500K light, though more nutritious, will almost if not always lose out to the higher light intensity.

general electric bulb, look for 1000watt mh hid, on their web site.

Latest posts

Back