Kids and MJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrivers

Reaction score
So I was thinking the other day at work about a couple things. How would I bring up to my kid(s) when the time comes (currently have none) that I smoke and should I be ok with it if they do too? This is what I came up with. I want them to be responsible because I could lose my license to practice so IF they are doing/going to do it BE RESPONSIBLE. More than likely would not smoke with my kid until they are older, say in their twenties, and I know they are responsible enough. I know how I was about smoking back in the day and I didn't have an appreciation the way I do now for it. Hopefully I'll be able to express that to them and who knows maybe they will too if they do decide to use MJ. Am I the only one that has thought about this or any of you come across this?

Well when I started smoking I told my dad after I started (knowing that he did too whilst he thought he was hiding it) right after that we started smoking together all the time. It may be bad to say but it really brought us alot closer together.

I have a 12old and he is only weekends with me and it is hard to hide the smoke and the grow from him.
But no case is equal ... Know ppl that the sons knows and they all are ok with it.
Smoke with him will be allright ... but like you said just for some years from now.
But if you don't have them no worries ... For now.

P.S.: I smoke with my mother and i think it is ok ... Except when she "demands" weed from me. That is lame :doh:

I have a 12 year old an eight year and as I Just found out last week, one on the way. I have no intentions of smoking with them till they r adults and only if they bring it up. To be honest tho, I hope that they have no want or need to smoke anything ever. Keep those lungs healthy.

ChewbacaKz said:
I have a 12 year old an eight year and as I Just found out last week, one on the way. I have no intentions of smoking with them till they r adults and only if they bring it up. To be honest tho, I hope that they have no want or need to smoke anything ever. Keep those lungs healthy.

:clap: :woohoo: :clap:

Well CONGRATZ friend, here's to you and yours (and the lil one on the way :aok: )

:peace: ,

7greeneyes :)

I live in a very conservative state that will probably never legalize MJ. The schools here, once a year, have Red Ribbon week where they spend the whole time teaching the kids of the dangers of drugs. :rolleyes: This doesn't include just the illegal stuff, but alcohol and over-the-counter meds like Tylenol too. The whole thing disturbs me, esp. the fact that there's no talk of moderation and my kids ask if I'm getting drunk whenever I grab a 2nd beer. :mad:

My kids are now 13, 12 and 7. I worry most about them telling a teacher or friend about odd smells, suspicions, etc and I do my best at hiding my use. I think the older ones already know. I'm not always good at hiding it but I try my best and my daughter's been known to snoop thru my things..anyways, I digress..

What I've been doing is talking to or sharing news articles with my older kids about the states that have legalized MMJ and the ailments MJ helps, and how. I try not to be too obvious, and I don't do this very frequently. It's working with them and I notice my oldest becoming more open-minded and understanding. I'm 99.9% sure he knows I use. The 12 yr old is a little harder but I think she's softening up.

I about died one day when I had a car-full of kids and somehow we got on the subject of drugs after a Sublime song, lol.. and my oldest said herion is good medication for pain. :eek: I didn't quite know what to say. :eek:

As far as them smoking with me, or asking me for any, NO WAY. Well I say no way. I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there. But for now I stand firm that none from me, or even with me until they've turned 18 and graduated high school. I may even change that to 21.

(My parents divorced when I was young and I lived with my (happy alcoholic) dad who was so awesome! He bought me beer and cigs from 15 yrs old and up. I know he smoked on rare occassion, he knew I smoked on rare occassion. My house was the house everyone liked to hang out at. Never did my dad and I smoke together though, or share mj.

Just threw that in there so I didn't sound like a total prude. :p)

Yeah, well...I think I'd rather they came to me than got some junk off the street. jmho We all know, if their friends are doing it, they'll do it as well, might as well deal with it than hide from it!

Roddy said:
Yeah, well...I think I'd rather they came to me than got some junk off the street. jmho We all know, if their friends are doing it, they'll do it as well, might as well deal with it than hide from it!

Yes this is true, very good point.

I'd rather them not do it at all to be honest. I hope they stay more like their straight-laced dad then their hell-raiser mom.. :giggle:

I guess what I'm doing is basically grooming them to be more accepting of my and other adult use and not considering their (potential) use. Like I said, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, if we come to it. Hopefully not, lol.

I have total mixed feeling on this. i think it all depends on the kid and how he is brought up. i know a number of families where smoking is just a way of bringing friends together. they dont see it as anything out of the ordinary. and see it AS ordinary. i mean they even sit in the circle and will pass it to the person next to them without hitting it... i've had conversations with the boys who are 13 and 15. the 13 yr old has a 3 ft mohawk and the 15 yr old has dreads past his but. they both have smoked but dont do it on the regular. it's some thing they were brought up around their whole lives. in the grow rooms and everything. but like i said it all depends on the kid and how you bring them up. they told me it just makes em tired...could u imagine smoking the stuff we do now when u were 13?!?!?!? these kids must almost trip from this stuff! lol

Lemon Jack - smoking with your dad is not a bad thing at all. i wish i could've smoked with my father when i had the chance. it would've brought us together even more.

my parent house was always the place where all the kids hung out too. my mother was very open and let us drink when we were 16 as long as our buddies were sleeping over...stuff like that. but i mean i'm not sure what i will do when it comes that time...i dont have any kids...but by that time it will be legal.

My kiddos, not that it really matters, have a very straight-laced dad who was brought up in a very conservative, religious family. Our kids are pretty clean cut and have always been in scouts. We live in middle class suburbia where everyone pretty much knows everyone else (damn I hate that part). The smoking openly with family thing seems so foreign to me. Even as an adult of 30+ yrs it felt weird getting high with my dad. I'm sure if I started out doing it young I'd feel differently. But for me it was/is taboo.

This is a great thread and I look forward to hearing other peoples points of view. You guys have some very valid points.

I'm hoping 4u chimes in.

Growing up as the black sheep in a really conservative family I don't think silence and "it's bad, don't do it", are good approaches. My 2 kids are still really young, so I kind of have a while before addressing anything about it. Having my plants in the back yard, my 5 yr old has asked about them. I started a veggie garden too just so the mj plants wasn't the only thing I was outside tending to.
That being said, between me and the mrs, and all the things we have done, good and bad, our kids aren't going to get away with anything. My parents were oblivious having never done any drugs. I'm sure we will have a talk about it, and will be pretty open minded, but how that conversation is going to come up beats me. Haha.

My kids never asked about the 2 odd plants I had growing in the back yard in 2007. They were in 3rd and 4th grade and I kept another 3rd grader and her 6th grade sister after school. :eek: I sure was bold and it was hard as hell keeping them inside that summer when they wanted to go out and play. :p The most nerve-wracking thing was when the AC broke and we had to have the unit replaced. I had sheets draped over the plants while the dudes were out installing the new one. :eek: Talk about paranoid.

Too bad I deleted my old pics and acct here and left in a huff or I could have shown you I think I took a few..lmao.

My good friend has a daughter in elementary school, that knows dad smokes. He is a non-grower. She knows that it's just dads medicine for his shoulder. That makes me even leery. With all the DARE programs, they could lose their kids! (My daddy smokes stuff to make his shoulder feel better). Thats all it would take I would think.

Stoneage said:
With all the DARE programs, they could lose their kids! (My daddy smokes stuff to make his shoulder feel better). Thats all it would take I would think.

Yep. And here in Texas I think they can take everything, not just the kids but the house and car as well. Don't quote me though. All of this scares the crap out of me.

mjrivers said:
So I was thinking the other day at work about a couple things. How would I bring up to my kid(s) when the time comes (currently have none) that I smoke and should I be ok with it if they do too? This is what I came up with. I want them to be responsible because I could lose my license to practice so IF they are doing/going to do it BE RESPONSIBLE. More than likely would not smoke with my kid until they are older, say in their twenties, and I know they are responsible enough. I know how I was about smoking back in the day and I didn't have an appreciation the way I do now for it. Hopefully I'll be able to express that to them and who knows maybe they will too if they do decide to use MJ. Am I the only one that has thought about this or any of you come across this?

Nice thread and your views are shared by Many my friend...Thanks to SmokeMom for PM me asking me to Share My story...I been growing now for just over 5 years...Been smokeing for over 25years and am a leagle grower here in Seattle...My children were young and I kept it from them Untill they got to Middle school where I sat them down and had the Talk...Explained to them That they school would preach that Smokeing MJ is Bad and is a crimina act..Also told them They could come to me for the real Answers...Explained to them That I was leagle in the eyes of the State and that my Hobby is still Hush hush...My kids have yet to experiment with MJ and they know if they do decide to try it ..I want them to come to me..not dealers on street..My Oldest isnow 18 and about on her way to a full scholarship..as well as My 16 year old...Jr..is 13 and well what Can I say..hes a run Like I did Im sure...My Kids dont speak of my growing or use of MJ...its still Rule #1 in My house...when the time comes..you will have to make the decision to tel them or Not....Im Glad I told Mine...

take care and be safe

:ciao: SmokeMom

7greeneyes said:
:clap: :woohoo: :clap:

Well CONGRATZ friend, here's to you and yours (and the lil one on the way :aok: )

:peace: ,

7greeneyes :)
Ty very much, we r very excited

I raised two sons. One is now 20 and studying to be a doctor. The eldest is 26 and a Marine. I never hid anything from them. I smoked in front of them all their lives -- still do. I just treated it like alcohol -- not for kids. My eldest went through a period where he was stealing my pot and turning on his friends. I caught him, we fought, I won. ***t happens, but after that we sat down and talked. He smoked with me from then on, and I DID become worried he was choosing the wrong path, but everything has turned out well. He is a Marine and has quit smoking. He told me he had turned on my youngest when he was 9 or 10 (with my stolen weed) but my youngest had and has higher asperations and smoking weed is not on his list of things to do. So, neither of my kids smoke (now) even though they were brought up with me smoking every day. My eldest is 26 now and can do what he wants -- he's a grown man, and I am proud as Hell of both of my boys. I don't believe hiding it from them would have accomplished anything -- kids are smart -- they will eventually find out, and it is MUCH better at that point to have your own input into the subject as opposed to D.A.R.E. in the classroom. Be a true shame to get busted by your own kids.

We quit smoking pot completely when our daughter was about 6 or 7. I didn't smoke again for 20 years or so. Our daughter didn't drink or smoke pot till she was in NY and 21 years old. Now she is 35 and i have been smoking with her for about 5 years or so now. we have the best time. She is so funny. Our son is super straight and just kind of rolls his eyes at me but doesn't get on me and I trust him. I smoked with him once, but he could be drug tested so he doesn't partake.
That is our story...ps, our house was always the house too. Wouldn't have it any other way. we have been lucky, we have great people as kids. They aren't perfect, but that's ok too. Either am i.

thanks for all the stories everyone. Gives me something to think about now when that time comes. I started smoking when I was 10 yrs old (was just that thing to do when your best friends older bro is a dealer) my mom never knew until I hit 14. she approached me because she found a bowl and I said yea I smoke occasionally and she said I don't want this in my house or on you. That was the end of that I stopped till I was 18 and after yrs and yrs of being very transparent with my life to my mother we have a great relationship. I grow and she knows and when i lived with her she would come up and sit with me and my friends while we smoked (never partook of it). She knows why I do it and realizes it better than pills and codeine. not only did my transparency help with smoking but our whole relationship opened up also. My mother and sister are the only ones I've had my entire life and I plan on having that same relationship with my kids so we'll see how it goes.

and congratz Chew on the new addition soon :banana: I cant wait for mine! but finishing up my last yr of med school is more important right now haha

Latest posts

Back