Lake water to water plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
So I live on a lake tributary which is directly behind my backyard separating us from the neighborhood on the other side. It is about 20 foot across and maybe 4-6 foot deep depending on the day. There are fish that swim that you can see and many of my friends fish the lake but never keep the beautiful bass they catch because they say that the water is polluted. People play In the water all the time. They bring out giant party floats and kids play all day in the water while their parents get wildly drunk. I even have used the lake to paddle board a couple of times my new summer hobby…. The former owners of my house dropped a line in the tributary that has its own pump that we use to water our grass with. I also fill the dog pool up for my BB to play in but I must say she smells like fish and needs a soap bath before coming in.
my question is I was wondering about using this water to water my plants. I guess I could have it tested or test it with what I have at least. It’s definitely not city water and seems at least with that fishy smell it may be good for my plants both outside and in the tent I have a ph pen and a PPM meter although I don’t understand the whole PPM thing so much to well only that my kitchen sink water is under 200 and that is supposed to be a good thing. Any thoughts on using this lake water to water with?

Attachments

• 66E28E3E-5F44-4249-B901-1259B6904C8B.MOV
    23 MB
it sounds like a romantic and noble way to garner water but what is upstream or close by...kinda dicey to take a chance with...bugs may find their way into your garden and we don't want that...

Looks like the trees and shrubs like the water. Hasn’t killed the grass either, right? I’d probably use it myself but I’d look into what kind of pollutants. Ecoli? Industrial run off? That is what I would look for.

it sounds like a romantic and noble way to garner water but what is upstream or close by...kinda dicey to take a chance with...bugs may find their way into your garden and we don't want that...
Yes boo, that’s what I was wondering about But I can’t help to think that this fishy lake water wouldn’t be good for the plants unless maybe oil from the boats? Maybe it would draw other bugs because of whats in it. maybe bugs in the water itself too I guess. It usually blows some mud out before we hook it up to the garden hose and our grass loves it. They charge a lot for city water here so I’m glad we have access to this water for the lawn

Looks like the trees and shrubs like the water. Hasn’t killed the grass either, right? I’d probably use it myself but I’d look into what kind of pollutants. Ecoli? Industrial run off? That is what I would look for.
I don’t know it’s a small but beautiful lake with no litter and used routinely all summer. ecoli maybe from swimmers pooping maybe? I don’t think anything industrial empty’s there maybe runoff from lawns and fertilizer tho.

That’s an idea
That one plant…
1652234533713.gif

Would you drink that water? But I know several people who grow depending on water provided by mother nature and they are growing bad azz weed. Who has died from pot? .......
But I wouldn’t drink it intentionally tho. To much beer pi ss in it for me.

I have used lake water many times on Gorilla Grows. Unless that lake is stagnate that water should be awesome for your plants.

Looks like it is moving and not just sitting is this a cut through stream between two larger lakes?
And would you fill a pool and swim in it on a 100deg day?

Fish don't s-hit in the water. Some people call it fertilizer. What do you think bat guano is?
That’s why I’m thinking it may be good for the plants especially smelling like fish… I’m gonna do a ph and ppm test just for sh it’s and giggles to see how close it is to what I need. I’m sure the water would contain algae and whatever is in the lake. The water is very clean to look at with the naked eye as you can see the fish swim by but I’m wondering is there anything that would hurt the plants. Come to think of it I watered my garden with this water just about every time we watered the grass last year when the hose was in the garden area. My peppers and eggplants didn’t seem to have a problem and grew very productive… I have a feeling it would be better for the plants than the stuff that comes from the city

Looks like it is moving and not just sitting is this a cut through stream between two larger lakes?
And would you fill a pool and swim in it on a 100deg day?
It does have a slight movement but ends just 500 ft past my property. They dug it years ago to help the lake overfill I think. The pipe in the water connected to the pump is just laying in the water so you get black muddy water at first when you turn it on. After waiting for it to clear up I will hook the hose with sprinkler or fill the dog pool up yes I would get in it to cool off as I have also been in the lake with the paddle board but I like my dog would need a good bath afterwards as it smells pretty fishy.

Pesticides could be a problem though.
Yes I thought about that too. There are lots of beautiful yards that bank up to the lake with I’m sure runoff from what’s making them beautiful yards so pretty. god knows what’s in the runoff from their yards but maybe worth a chance on at least one of my plants depending on the ph readings I get I mean it may be the perfect feed for cannabis…

Latest posts

Back