Lanky stems on clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
Was wondering if I could bury about 4” of my plants stem during my next transplant. It seems if I could, my height could be adjusted more manageably. I’ve done this with tomatoes and it worked fine but hated to risk my lanky girls if it would hurt them.

You can, but I don't see that going well, but never tried it. I would work on the "why" this happened and correct for it. Usually not enough light is the cause.

Bubba

Yes go for it

my solution to lanky stems is this: when my beans have germinated (in a paper towel) I place the germinated seed in a beercup of ProMix soil….the trick is to only fill the beercup up halfway with soul….

as soon as the seedling pops through the soil and grows up to the top of the cup , I top it off with more soil which buries the lanky stem

i hope that made sense

ive done this hundreds of times with no problems

Yes, but after you do that, what light do they receive? Here, hope I'm wrong, but problem is going to repeat itself. May be wrong, but I'm thinking the light at hand is not sufficient?

Bubba

You can, but I don't see that going well, but never tried it. I would work on the "why" this happened and correct for it. Usually not enough light is the cause.

Bubba
I've done 100's just like this, half way then fill

sounds as if the light source needs to be closer the the sprouts...that always causes lankiness...how far are your plants to the light...as for filling the cups, always leave room for more soil...

Yes, but after you do that, what light do they receive? Here, hope I'm wrong, but problem is going to repeat itself. May be wrong, but I'm thinking the light at hand is not sufficient?

Bubba

Bubba
I’ve had an LED grow light directly on top of them to try to prevent stretch. There is not heat from the lamp only colors that they seem to love being all up into. I have a group of 8 clones from my first grow in about week three of veg all of which are growing different from two strains. a couple look like mini bonsai trees only 6” tall full of nodes every 1/8-1/4 inch or so. Then a couple that want to be tall which I have already topped or fimmed to get some node growth instead of height. A couple also that are growing pretty much normal I guess, not tiny and not tall. I would like to clean out the bottom of the two tall ones and bury about 4” of the bottom stem under the dirt in my next transplant to keep them at a more level playing ground with the other plants. The tall ones are about 12” high so I don’t want them to much bigger as I plan to scrog them in the tent when their moms are finished with them.

Yes go for it

my solution to lanky stems is this: when my beans have germinated (in a paper towel) I place the germinated seed in a beercup of ProMix soil….the trick is to only fill the beercup up halfway with soul….

as soon as the seedling pops through the soil and grows up to the top of the cup , I top it off with more soil which buries the lanky stem

i hope that made sense

ive done this hundreds of times with no problems
My plants are clones from my first grow about 3 weeks into veg. Not seedlings. I wanted to clean up the bottom 4” of two plants and bury it with my next transplant in hope of balancing out my canopy. I’m sure I will end up with some scrog thing a bit more on these two plants but the extra four inch of nothing under this plant would help at this stage..

My plants are clones from my first grow about 3 weeks into veg. Not seedlings. I wanted to clean up the bottom 4” of two plants and bury it with my next transplant in hope of balancing out my canopy. I’m sure I will end up with some scrog thing a bit more on these two plants but the extra four inch of nothing under this plant would help at this stage..

ive done that too with no problems…when I transplant outdoors in the spring I will bury them a little deeper , just like tomato plants as you mentioned

I think I am having a spectrum problem myself. There is a lot of technology coming out and already here on LED's. There are scum like Amazon selling a lot of knock off junk, priced really low, slapped together without regard to colors emitted. Don't trust Amazon reviews, anything from Walmart and anything associated with Miracle Grow and its corporate parents when it comes to growing weed. That's my 2 cents.

My view is this. You have not enough light. If that is the cause for excessive stem length, why wouldn't the same thing happen again?

Treat the problem not the symptoms. Oh well, best of luck in these endeavors.

Bubba

I think I am having a spectrum problem myself. There is a lot of technology coming out and already here on LED's. There are scum like Amazon selling a lot of knock off junk, priced really low, slapped together without regard to colors emitted. Don't trust Amazon reviews, anything from Walmart and anything associated with Miracle Grow and its corporate parents when it comes to growing weed. That's my 2 cents.
I agree on the cheap lights. I needed a light to veg out my plants in my MBR until their turn in the tent For flower. I read reviews like crazy only using the ones referenced to cannabis. I didn’t have a huge budget but did end up buying one on Amazon for around 60.00 I think which just happened to work out great. The one I got has four adjustable lamps with 4 spectrum colors which you can change using some or all of them even on different plants. I have it set to all the colors after advice from users of this site that the lights were not just a gimmick and the plants really do respond to them especially during the veg stage. It has a remote control where you can adjust each lamp separately and has a dimmer switch also has timers but allows 24/7 which is where I have it set now. most all of the plant lamps on Amazon do not have settings to accommodate for weed as far as the timers go. It also is on a tripod that I can adjust up to about 5 foot. It is doing a great job so far. The plants are loving it and are putting out growth almost fast enough to watch them grow as I’m looking at them. I did see many lights as you did that just looked like good lights but weren’t worth a sh#t. I just got lucky with this lamp.
3755A25A-48A3-42FF-88A3-3BC018989AD5.jpeg

Latest posts

Back