Large calyxs but widely spaced

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur Grower

Blending in...
Reaction score
What is this? This is the first time I've seen calyxs like these. They're big but not packed together very tight. It's Barney's Farm LSD.

Maybe the calyx are normal size and they are just so far apart they SEEM big? Have you seen anything like this?

AG

BigCalyx.jpg

BigCalyx1.jpg

Its nicknamed popcorning and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them beautiful buds AG.
T4

Thanks Time4! Do they generally fill in or what?

Roddy-are you talking about upper left near the top? Is it hermying?

AG

Some do some dont but how far in flower are they as they look about done to me.
T4

Time4Plan-B said:
Some do some dont but how far in flower are they as they look about done to me.
T4

I'm thinking maybe 10 more days.

AG

Time4Plan-B said:
Its nicknamed popcorning and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them beautiful buds AG.
T4

Maybe it's different across the pond but over here I believe it's called fox tailing and it happens with most of the Dank Sativa leaning strains I hve grown.
The only pop corning I hve heard of is the crappy lil buds down low being called popcorn bud. You hve some nanners in that first shot for sure. Probably late, sterile nanners but you might find some selfed seeds in your bud as well. jmo

Hey Hammy, what exactly am I looking for when I look for nanners?

AG

Amateur Grower said:
Hey Hammy, what exactly am I looking for when I look for nanners?

AG

The red circles are of what IMO are almost certainly nanners.

BigCalyxnan.jpg

Yep, I see 'em. Anyone know of a thread here I can read about these? I'd like to know what's going on.

AG

Ok so I found some good threads here on MP and understand what nanners are now. Not good.

I'm still supposedly a week to 10 days out from harvest. I'm going over all 4 of my plants in the morning with a scope and will see how bad it is. I'm harvesting the Crazy Miss Hyde Sunday so maybe it's unaffected.

AG

Late nanners are usually harmless....as long as your bud doesn't get heavily seeded you shld be fine and the late nanners hardly ever create beans. Just destroy any beans you may find. jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
Late nanners are usually harmless....as long as your bud doesn't get heavily seeded you shld be fine and the late nanners hardly ever create beans. Just destroy any beans you may find. jmo
:yeahthat:

Don't go crazy and muck up the buds. Seeds take weeks to develop and if you're only 10 days or so from chop ..............

Wet

Yeh Hammy foxtailing/popcorning all the same thing and nanners this late are no worries whatsoever.
T4

Where I'm from its called fox tails and popcorn is the tiny buds on the bottom of the plant.

Is your timer one click off! I have seen this before and it was caused by a budding cycle of 12:15/11:45 by accidentally clicking 1 too many tabs on a timer. Made the tops foxtail and nanners show up.

Yes you are correcto mundo Maine i got mixed up i do however call foxtailing popcorning as well but popcorn is lower down under developed smallish buds as you say.
T4

So I'm wondering if this happens to other strains or what? The calyxs are HUGE and seem to be filling in some, but they won't be tightly packed come harvest.

SDC10001.JPG

SDC10002.JPG

SDC10003.JPG

SDC10004.JPG

OGKushman said:
Is your timer one click off! I have seen this before and it was caused by a budding cycle of 12:15/11:45 by accidentally clicking 1 too many tabs on a timer. Made the tops foxtail and nanners show up.

OG I checked that. I DO use a manual timer but I've checked and it's lights out at 9:01pm, lights on at 9:02am. Good suggestion though.

AG

i think it's a good feature myself.. most the dready girls i've had were quality smoke ;)
loses some bag appeal though maybe. (but i don't care about that ;))
on the nan front.. for my own curiosity; were these feminized or regular seeds?

i always thought it was strain dependent.. i'm baffled by OGK's post.. 1/2 hour difference fooked his crop? (it was on that the whole time eh?, he didn't change it near the end or something?) and he had quality genetics?

not questioning you, seems you know your stuff.. that just seems so weird to me.. especially when i've heard of many respected breeders talk about different light times working well (and never having a problem when i fooked around with my light times)

Latest posts

Back