Leaf differences...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenfire

Reaction score
I have 5 plants growing right, 2-3 weeks old. They are growing very fast, i got a 175w MH system covering a 2x2 spot, plants are sitting 2.5 feet from light. Room temp is a constant 80.

Are you able to tell whether or not a plant is male or female by the leaves. One of my plants has a significantly broader tip than the other one that is the same age. Both seeds were from the same plant...

Here's the plant with the nice point tips....
06270613090sd.jpg

Here's the one with the broader tipped leaves. Sorry the image is so poor, those MH lamps put out alot of light, makes the camera go nuts! Both plants are same age, same conditions, from the same plant.
06270613107zb.jpg

Here's a picture of most of the lil babies...
06270613115ar.jpg

Hope you guys can shed some light on this!!!

Thanks and may the fire be with you! :D

There is only one way to tell sex. and thats by pre-flowers. Which is in the "sex ed" thread sticky at the top in Gen. Indoor growing section.
Leaf size and type and all that has to deal with the strain. That right there is a very complex read dealing with phonetypes and a whole bunch of stuff.

Three ways to determine sex.
1. Wait 6+ weeks of veg. until the plant shows.
2. Take clones and flower them to tell sex.
3. put the seeded plant into flower.

1 & 2 are the best ways if you wish to keep a mother "aka donor" plant for more cuttings. Which=less time and more bud. The way most of the pros on here do it.

This will probably spur more questions, but hope I answered the immediate one for ya.

Gees, I bet I see this question every day, doesn't anyone read first?

UNLESS THERE HAS BEEN GREAT STRESS ON THE PLANT, IT WILL NOT SHOW UNTILL IT IS PUT INTO FLOWER MODE, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS OMG!

naturalhi said:
Gees, I bet I see this question every day, doesn't anyone read first?

UNLESS THERE HAS BEEN GREAT STRESS ON THE PLANT, IT WILL NOT SHOW UNTILL IT IS PUT INTO FLOWER MODE, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS OMG!

Point taken. No need to be rude.

I just asked out of curiousity, where's the wrong in that?

Mutt, thank you for answering the question and not being rude like others. However, how do i go about telling they are m/f at 6 weeks. What exactly am i looking? I read something about pistils and the shape of something looking similar to a spade. I've seen a few pics on it, but they were blurry.

Thanks

Greenfire...we see alot of posts like this..but your right..no one should be rude. Just take some time to look around and chances are you'll find the info you need..if not.. post a new thread...

as for your leaves..a short wide leaf usually means it's an Indica..long pointy leaves will typically be a sativa strain..browse through the site and you'll find ALL the info you need. If not..holla atcha boy...haha -peace

Greenfire said:
Here's the plant with the nice point tips....
Thanks and may the fire be with you! :D

Now, personally, the Rev likes the ladies with the nice pointy tips. Especially if they are those great big Cadillac bumper bullets.
Grow big. Be nice. Be cool. :cool:

Glad to know what kind of strains i am growing now, or atleast an idea anyways!

I think it is a possible defenciency of some sort! I dont know whether to increase the nitrogen or what. Should i just go for just a general plant food or something more specialized! :cool:

Lower the light.
A 175 watt MH should be no more than 10" above the plant tops, but do it gradually, several inches/day. When it gets to 10", maintain that distance.

Greenfire said:
Glad to know what kind of strains i am growing now, or atleast an idea anyways!

I think it is a possible defenciency of some sort! I dont know whether to increase the nitrogen or what. Should i just go for just a general plant food or something more specialized! :cool:
Hey Greenfire, if you follow this link, it'll take you to more information than you have seen yet. The information is from actual growers who have already typed out all the instructions. Please don't make us type out the same thing as you can read here.

Some people get mad easy when beginner questions are asked. I don't. I get mad when the answer is given and still not read.

Have a good read and if there is anything you don't understand after reading each of the areas, THEN ask questions about things you already know something about.

Good Luck to you.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE GROWING INFORMATION YOU COULD WANT

Hey Greenfire. These guys are shootin' you straight. Start digging for information in the forums. Check the FAQs. It is a simple courtesy to other members NOT to ask redundant questions that have been answered in detail at a nearby location. Also try the search. I have found this to be a very helpful bunch of folks... a tad twisted at times but the Rev enjoys that. They have lots of years of growing experience to draw upon. There are a few that are severely brain-damaged but hey, why do you think they call it dope.
It says in the bible (I think that's in the chapter on growing dope) that the lord helps marijuana growers that help themselves. I didn't pay much attention the few times I went to church but you catch my drift. In my day job, I'm a teacher and know there is no bigger sin than to be lazy and not utilize the abundance of information that is readily available (literally) at your fingertips.
Sermon over. Please be generous when the collection plate comes around. The hot tub here at the Rev's church is in need of repair and the liquor cabinet (with the holy wine) needs replenishing. Give till it hurts. Praise the lawd and pass that joint. :cool:
Rev

Reverend Willis said:
there is no bigger sin than to be lazy and not utilize the abundance of information that is readily available (literally) at your fingertips.

AMEN!!!! Reverend

Stoney Bud said:
Hey Greenfire, if you follow this link, it'll take you to more information than you have seen yet. The information is from actual growers who have already typed out all the instructions. Please don't make us type out the same thing as you can read here.

Some people get mad easy when beginner questions are asked. I don't. I get mad when the answer is given and still not read.

Have a good read and if there is anything you don't understand after reading each of the areas, THEN ask questions about things you already know something about.

Good Luck to you.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE GROWING INFORMATION YOU COULD WANT

Stoney! I have acually read both the indoor and outdoor and general growing guides, as well as many others from various oher websites. They all pretty much say the same thing to me, some are more specific than others, this sites information happens to be more specific than others. However...

One thing i havent been able to find on this site, and on other sites, is what the plant looks like when it is nutrient deficient. What those deficiencies look like, pH or nitrogen are the two major ones from what i can gather. So maybe you can shed some light on this...i think my first question was worded wrong due to incompetence on my part of not acquiring knowledge. This problem isn't listed anywhere from what i can see tho. It does talk about proper nutrient levels, but what happens if i give it a general plant food that increases both pH and nitrogen, then if one of them was at a good level it would become dangerously high. The soil they are in says it has enough 'food' in it for 3 months. Obviously, this wont be siffucient for the purposes i have demanded from the soil! Since the soil does provide some nutrients, and i dont know the levels, knowing what defeciency would prove useful, so that i could correct it specifically. :D

Anyways....basically said the same thing over and over....sorry bout being a n00b! :rolleyes:

Greeny!;)

Greenfire said:
Stoney! I have acually read both the indoor and outdoor and general growing guides, as well as many others from various oher websites. They all pretty much say the same thing to me, some are more specific than others, this sites information happens to be more specific than others. However...

One thing i havent been able to find on this site, and on other sites, is what the plant looks like when it is nutrient deficient. What those deficiencies look like, pH or nitrogen are the two major ones from what i can gather. So maybe you can shed some light on this...i think my first question was worded wrong due to incompetence on my part of not acquiring knowledge. This problem isn't listed anywhere from what i can see tho. It does talk about proper nutrient levels, but what happens if i give it a general plant food that increases both pH and nitrogen, then if one of them was at a good level it would become dangerously high. The soil they are in says it has enough 'food' in it for 3 months. Obviously, this wont be siffucient for the purposes i have demanded from the soil! Since the soil does provide some nutrients, and i dont know the levels, knowing what defeciency would prove useful, so that i could correct it specifically. :D

Anyways....basically said the same thing over and over....sorry bout being a n00b! :rolleyes:

Greeny!;)
Maybe this will help ya Greenfire. http://growfaq.marijuana.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=29&id=52&artlang=en

Gosh, i dont know what it is, it could be any of those! Thanks for the post with the pics, that was extremely helpful! I guess i am just going to give it a veg nute and see what happens...Any problems, i obviously know where to go for help! :D

Oh, i did do a search for "deficient" on the board, a very informative post popped up, said the same thing that the one you posted did. However, your link had very helpful pics, while the ones on the board didnt have any pics.

Greeny

Greenfire said:
Gosh, i dont know what it is, it could be any of those! Thanks for the post with the pics, that was extremely helpful! I guess i am just going to give it a veg nute and see what happens...Any problems, i obviously know where to go for help! :D

Oh, i did do a search for "deficient" on the board, a very informative post popped up, said the same thing that the one you posted did. However, your link had very helpful pics, while the ones on the board didnt have any pics.

Greeny
Hey Bro Grunt, that was a perfect set of pics man!

Greenfire, I understand a little more about your problems now. The pre-mixed nutrient soils are made for general gardening. You'll chase your tail around trying to compensate for whatever is lacking in it. My best advice to you before your plants get any larger is to transplant them into a plain soil/perlite mix with no nutes. Then buy some nutrients from one of the many online stores that sell marijuana specific nutrients.

If you are in a position where you can't do that, then Bro Grunt is your best bet for figuring out your nutes. He uses/used miricle grow and produced great plants.

I'm pretty much a hydroponic person. When I do soil like I do for my Mothers, I use the plain soil/perlite mix and watered down hydroponic nutes.

Good luck to you. Let us all know how it goes.

Plant Trouble
Plant Abuse Chart and Photos by Nietzsche
Contributed by: Nietzsche

Those are good pix. The author gets right to the point with his title... Plant Abuse Chart and Photos I'm sure he's right that we growers abuse our plants. The plants are not sick, they are abused. Something I've learned from my Superthrive overdose (and recovery) is that I need to use minimal amounts of "everything" that I feed my plants... until I have grown that strain successfully from seed to smoke.
And Stoney, I'm rethinking my soil mix after reading your last post. I'm using Flora Nova nutes and I would think they cover most of the bases in their Grow & Bloom Nutes. This grow I'm using BOGs recipe (Perfect Mix from Wallys, perlite, and a cup of bone meal and a cup of blood meal).
It makes sense to use a clean (nute-free) baseline to start the plants growing and then watch them for their needs.
Hey Greenfire, hows 'bout some update pix. I predict you will do well in your growing endeavors. You're absorbing lots of stuff. You'll find great tips for the rest of us as well. Best of luck. :cool:

Latest posts

Back