Leaf Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewGuy

Reaction score
1.Soil
2.ThunderHead Soil Used, 7ml Pure Blend Pro "vegi formula" per gallon.
3.MH 250 watt Light
4.Ph 7.0-7.5
5.Growth stage approx 2 weeks
6.Temp 80-85 degrees, Humidity 60-75%
7.3x3 Foot grow area, with fan.
8.24 Hour light cycle

This is my first grow, and I am seeing that the very outer edges of the leaves are curling up. I have noticed that the ph level is higher then I would like, could this be the cause? And if so would vinegar be a good choice to get it down to the 6.3-6.5 range. I have not watered in 16 days but my h2o meter is still in the high moist range and no signs of "droopyness". Any help is appreciated.

NewGuy said:
I have not watered in 16 days .
I'll take it for granted that you're growing inside. What size container is your plant in? 16 days is one hell of a long time to not need water.

NewGuy said:
Ph 7.0-7.5 I have noticed that the ph level is higher then I would like
Yikes! Owww! Flush the plant with fresh water for a few days until your "ph-up-down" stuff gets to you and then keep that ph right at 6.5

Do a google on "ph up ph down", without the quotes. Bunches of people selling it.

Stoney Bud said:
I'll take it for granted that you're growing inside. What size container is your plant in? 16 days is one hell of a long time to not need water.

Yes inside, I agree that is long inbetween waterings, but the meter says its wet...not lookin droopy and I dont want to overwater, i guess that is what i'm afraid of. Its a single plant in a 1 foot by 1 foot container. I was thinkin that the soil was soaking up some of the humidity but I have no idea to be honest.

Stoney Bud said:
Yikes! Owww! Flush the plant with fresh water for a few days until your "ph-up-down" stuff gets to you and then keep that ph right at 6.5

Do a google on "ph up ph down", without the quotes. Bunches of people selling it.
Can I get this locally? Can I flush with distilled h2o?

hi ya newguy
look at a fish/aquarium store or a spa/pool place fo ph adjustment solutions.
6.Temp 80-85 degrees, Humidity 60-75%

those are both a li'l high. You might be needing more ventilation, too IMO

Hick said:
hi ya newguy
look at a fish/aquarium store or a spa/pool place fo ph adjustment solutions.

those are both a li'l high. You might be needing more ventilation, too IMO

Thanks for the info, I did locate some ph down here locally via the web. About what humidity % would you recommend? I could raise the light some more and hopefully that will give me 3-5 degrees cooler, if not I might want to try a bigger fan.

I just adjusted my light and angle of my fan and it resulted in a drastic drop in the temp. What type fan is it?

El Diablo Verde said:
I just adjusted my light and angle of my fan and it resulted in a drastic drop in the temp. What type fan is it?

The fan is just a cheapy one, I bought the PH Down today, ran a test of the water that I have been using....it registered 8.0+, I guess the ph meter that I was using is junk. I just got done putting about 5 gallons of water with a PH of 6.5 through it and we will hope for the best. I will update as soon as I see any difference.

NewGuy said:
Yes inside, I agree that is long inbetween waterings, but the meter says its wet...not lookin droopy and I dont want to overwater, i guess that is what i'm afraid of. Its a single plant in a 1 foot by 1 foot container. I was thinkin that the soil was soaking up some of the humidity but I have no idea to be honest.
Ok, at two weeks old, the plants aren't using much of anything. You can drop your nutrients back to a half strength mixture and water only enough to wet the area of the plants root ball. It sounds like your nutrients are too strong for this stage of growth.

What do you think...

2-5-06 (Small).JPG

Anyone? I see the purple start to decrease on the stems, think that I will be ok.

You 'did' flush it?..give it a few days.

Let it dry out for a few days. Let it recover.

Hick said:
Let it dry out for a few days. Let it recover.

It seems like we are still having issues. When I water this time I will add some epsom salt and see if that will help, what do ya think?

NewGuy said:
It seems like we are still having issues. When I water this time I will add some epsom salt and see if that will help, what do ya think?
What do you mean when you say "It seems like we are still having issues"? I would just cut back on the nutes and leave it alone. Lots of plants die because someone messes with them too much. Give it only water for a week. No nutes. Tell us what it looks like then.

As far as the leaves turning a "rust" like color, I only gave nutes one time back about 2 weeks into the grow, since then it has only been spring water.

2-9-06 (1) (Small).JPG

NewGuy said:
As far as the leaves turning a "rust" like color, I only gave nutes one time back about 2 weeks into the grow, since then it has only been spring water.
Ok man, the nutes that were in the mix when you bought it are probably causing the problem. Most of them put enough nitrogen in them to cause problems with young MJ plants. It may go away as the plants get larger. So far, it doesn't look bad enough to worry about. As long as you don't put any more nutes in there until the plants are at least a foot tall, you should be ok.

Let us know if it gets any worse. Next time, don't use potting soil with nutrients already in it. Use half strength Hydro nutrients in plain soil mixed as:

One part soil
One part perilite
one part vermiculite

With 4 inches of gravel in the bottom and raised so that only the gravel is in any standing water.

Latest posts

Back