Leaf problems, should I flush?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoralReefer

Reaction score
My plants started developing yellow and then brown crispy leaves, starting at tips. About a week ago I discovered bud worm and webbing, I sprayed with BT and have seen no other signs of worms. I last watered 3 days ago, adding some 2-1-6 Emerald Harvest Grow nutrients. From what I’ve read I could have nutrient burn and should flush with pure water. The soil is still quite wet, especially at bottom. Should I flush when soil is already this wet?
I’m going out of town later this week and would like to get ahead of these problems, but not sure what is going on, as the symptoms mimic many things.
Your advice is appreciated!!!

Coral welcome to MP !-- Someone else will be along to point U right !--- I just switched from water to dirt and still figuring it all out !-- U are welcome to join us at the Home of the Old Farts Club in the coffee table section -- Dispite what it says we are more of a community than a nursing home -- We do a Wake and Bake every morning that last all day !-- Coastal Lady ?-- I just moved from Corpus Christi Tx. Over to East Texas - still only about 50 miles upstream from the gulf !-- Helping my nephew get a grow-up and running until the beach house sells - Then I'll get set back up !-
Again Welcome to MP -- Lots of people know their stuff around here they'll fix U up !

If you could post up some pics, it would really help. And we need more info. How old are your plants? What (specifically) are they planted in? Do your pots/soil have good drainage? How much are you feeding them? What is BT? Did you check your plants with a scope for mites as you have webbing? The more details you can give us, the better able we are to help you. And a picture is often worth a thousand words.

View attachment 255012 Here’s a pic
View attachment 255012
If you could post up some pics, it would really help. And we need more info. How old are your plants? What (specifically) are they planted in? Do your pots/soil have good drainage? How much are you feeding them? What is BT? Did you check your plants with a scope for mites as you have webbing? The more details you can give us, the better able we are to help you. And a picture is often worth a thousand words.

There is a pic attached here. Let me know if you can’t see it.
The plants are 1.5 months old. They were doing very well until I noticed a few white flys and made up a spray with water, ground rosemary and dish detergent (which had vinegar in it). I sprayed, then that afternoon I noticed blotching on the leaves which I assume I burned because the solution was too strong. (My mistake). I flushed the soil next day with clear water.
The plants were originally potted in Foxfarm Happy Frog, red solo cups to start. Then repotted in 5 gal. With the Foxfarm and organic soil mix, perlite, vermiculite. I didn’t start adding nutrients until a few weeks later. 2-1-6. Not heavy, and in between clear waterings. The budworms were discovered about 8 days ago, treated with neem oil spray. Then 2 days later got some caterpillar spray with Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT). They seem to be gone.
The bottom leaves continue to get yellow and brown. Starts on tips. These plants seem to have been stressed and not as big as they should be at this point. I really can’t tell what the problem is, and want to get them back to green health. As you can see they are flowering. So, nutrient burn? Not enough nutes? Change nutes to flowering type with no nitrogen? Thanks for any help!

951281BE-A878-47D2-AE30-17F4742E1A7B.jpeg

Here’s a pic

Next time you water, test the ph of your fert solution, then test the ph coming out the holes of the pot. Note if there is a drop. If so, you'll have to make up this difference by adjusting your watering solution to compensate. Be sure you're letting your pots get light between waterings. I think you're locked out from being wet and acidic, but can't tell for sure without a runoff test. The test kits with the liquid color indicator drops are really cheap and take years to go bad... it's a great tool to have on hand!

Thanks Stinkyattic. I can try a ph test tomorrow. The soil is still damp, and the problem is I’m going out of town on Thursday. Trying to let the pots dry out before watering again, but I have to set up a self watering system when I’m gone, so don’t know what to do if they are still too wet on Thursday AM. If I have lockout, I heard you should flush. Will this just make the route too wet again?

Flushing is a very broad term. Even doing the runoff test itself is a very minor flush. The most basic umbrella definition is that a flush happens any time you water enough to carry 'stuff ' out of the soil.
Flushing for fertilizer salt buildup is common.
Flushing to adjust pH is too! If your test comes out low, then you'd flush with water that's a bit higher than your target, to neutralize excess acid and aim for around 6.8 coming out of the pot, and then give a final watering with your fertilizer adjusted to 6.8-7 if your soil was acidic to begin with, which is far.more common than basic which mostly only rockwool and coco growers would ever see, or if you mixed in way too much lime by mistake.
Don't forget to feed as the last step after a flush. Your plant needs food, and you just fixed the soil to help it eat! I tend to use a chemical fertilizer of known npk after a flush, and even though you're in flower right now you still need some N, so something like pure blend pro (honestly, either grow or bloom since it's just a single post flush feeding and you're going to skip feedings for a week being out of town) mixed at half strength would be appropriate.
But check the runoff test before getting too focused on a solution- gotta nail down the problem first : )
Also: how cold does it get at night in your area?

Ok, did a soil test with both probe and soil test kit. Both read about 7.5 Alkaline. Did a nutrient test and it showed nitrogen Ok, but potassium very low and phosphorous a little low.

So you're going to want to adjust your fertilizer solution to about 6-6.3 when you do your final watering with fresh fertilizer, which will bring your soil closer to where it should be, which is around 6.8.

So you're going to want to adjust your fertilizer solution to about 6-6.3 when you do your final watering with fresh fertilizer, which will bring your soil closer to where it should be, which is around 6.8.

So you think I still need to do a clear water flush? Or....
I also bought Bush Docker Sledgehammer (saponin). If needed, I understand this is usually used before harvest.
Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back