Leaves yellowing and drooping..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
So, I'm 9 weeks into flowering and my leaves have becomes yellow and droopy.

At first, I thought it was because I hadn't watered in a while, but water isn't having any effect on it.

I understand that this is supposed to happen at the end of the plant's life, but my trichomes are still not amber.

I bought a 30x loupe today, and they're not amber as far as I can see. Perhaps I need a 60x loupe..?

Yellowing is normal later in flower. If your close to pulling her down just let her finish.

If they start to evenly yellow out early...hit them harder with nutes.

I don't know if you'll be able to see that much with the HPS on.

Basically, all the leave are this yellow:
IMG_20140523_191457.jpg

And this droopy:
IMG_20140523_191506.jpg

Yellowing is normal later in flower. If your close to pulling her down just let her finish.

If they start to evenly yellow out early...hit them harder with nutes.

I gave them a 20% extra dose of BioBloom yesterday. So far, no change.

JMO for how ever many grains of salt...

The curling/drying leaves and tip burn look like too much nutes.

The leaf wilting and the crunchy looking buds look under watered or too low humidity.

Maybe some clean waterings once or twice.

My sativa does loose leaves when it flowers. They yellow and drop of, bottom first. But, they stay moist through the yellow stage.

JMO for how ever many grains of salt...

The curling/drying leaves and tip burn look like too much nutes.

The leaf wilting and the crunchy looking buds look under watered or too low humidity.

Maybe some clean waterings once or twice.

My sativa does loose leaves when it flowers. They yellow and drop of, bottom first. But, they stay moist through the yellow stage.

Mine are definitely not moist. The leaves are as dry as a bone and usually are, even though the soil is damp. Any more, and I'd risk over-watering.

I'm not under-watering and this happened after I watered clean for a week.

The humidity is in the high 40% usually, sometimes 50%. I have a humidifier, but I figured if the humidity got above 60%, that would be a problem for the buds.

Everything sounds right.

Maybe they're just getting close to done. I am getting close to being done and I am dry and a little droopy. ;)

Low RH and fans can cause crispy leaves. Def not a nute burn. Droopy leaves =over/under watering.

I think she is just about done, and the look off the plants at this point are more a result of a not quite balanced and health issues grow throughout the life cycle. Even though they look good, and look like they haven't suffered terribly throughout their lives, their environment has been out of balance enough to cause them to die back earlier than normal. I wouldn't give anymore nutes, I would be cutting them back to half strength ffor the final weeks ripening. Just begin collecting the ffan leaves as they fall to remove them. She should be ready within another 5-9days.

The strain appears to be close to a 50/50 ind/sat but you may not get much amber as that is controlled by genetics. Iff you see they are mostly cloudy, then you are good.

I think she is just about done, and the look off the plants at this point are more a result of a not quite balanced and health issues grow throughout the life cycle. Even though they look good, and look like they haven't suffered terribly throughout their lives, their environment has been out of balance enough to cause them to die back earlier than normal. I wouldn't give anymore nutes, I would be cutting them back to half strength ffor the final weeks ripening. Just begin collecting the ffan leaves as they fall to remove them. She should be ready within another 5-9days.

The strain appears to be close to a 50/50 ind/sat but you may not get much amber as that is controlled by genetics. Iff you see they are mostly cloudy, then you are good.

Definitely a lot to think about here.

1.) What could I have done to balance them out throughout their life-cycle? What do you mean they suffered?

2.) The strain is White Widow - could it be that it's not meant to have any amber trichomes..?

3.) How long should I wait? If I wait 3 weeks will the buds die, as well?

It should amber up...make sure your loupe is strong enough. I think hush means PHing the solution if its off.

if the ph is outta wack the plant will not assimilate proper nutrients. There could be plenty of "food" but the plant cant use it.

It should amber up...make sure your loupe is strong enough. I think hush means PHing the solution if its off.

if the ph is outta wack the plant will not assimilate proper nutrients. There could be plenty of "food" but the plant cant use it.

pH has been in check since the beginning. Though, even if it wasn't, why show symptoms now? I've been using the same amount of pH down for months.

They yellow naturally anyway unless your really hitting them hard.

I have no history on your grow methods.

if the ph WAS "in check" then this plant is just finishing.

no worries dude just let her go.

They yellow naturally anyway unless your really hitting them hard.

I have no history on your grow methods.

if the ph WAS "in check" then this plant is just finishing.

no worries dude just let her go.

You mean let her die? But then won't the buds die with her?

No... the leaves yellow n die off.

then you trim them off...then trim buds off stems after chopping...then dry/cure.

You have 2 types of leaves on your plant. The big ones are the "fan" leaves which are the chemical factories and solar panels ffor the plant. The other leaves are the bud leaves or "sugar leaves". The sugar leaves are the smaller leaves that grow in with the buds and get covered with the resin glands (the sugar). Often when plants are grown organically the "fan" leaves will "yellow off" towards the end of their life cycle. That doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem but when plants are grown in "optimal conditions" this "yellowing off" occurs less.

I wasn't saying earlier that you weren't doing something wrong as much as there can be little things that can affect how the plants grow. Temps and humidity, air flow, microbe level, pH in the soil, root binding, moisture level in the soil, light intensity. Any of these things can be off enough to lend to early senescence (yellowing off) without ever showing any issues before the onset of senescence. By many growers it is considered normal.

If I remember correctly, WW is not a heavy nitrogen eater, so that could lend to the yellowing off. I think the WW doesn't get real amber at max ripeness. I would cut a sugar leaf or 2 from a couple of the buds and take them out into bright daylight to examine under the lens. You should see some that are clear and most of them cloudy, milky looking, and you may see a couple that are amber. If you don't have 90% or better milky trichs then let them go a few more days and check again. Even if all of the fan leaves die and fall off, as long as the sugar leaves are still green you are ok.

You have 2 types of leaves on your plant. The big ones are the "fan" leaves which are the chemical factories and solar panels ffor the plant. The other leaves are the bud leaves or "sugar leaves". The sugar leaves are the smaller leaves that grow in with the buds and get covered with the resin glands (the sugar). Often when plants are grown organically the "fan" leaves will "yellow off" towards the end of their life cycle. That doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem but when plants are grown in "optimal conditions" this "yellowing off" occurs less.

I wasn't saying earlier that you weren't doing something wrong as much as there can be little things that can affect how the plants grow. Temps and humidity, air flow, microbe level, pH in the soil, root binding, moisture level in the soil, light intensity. Any of these things can be off enough to lend to early senescence (yellowing off) without ever showing any issues before the onset of senescence. By many growers it is considered normal.

If I remember correctly, WW is not a heavy nitrogen eater, so that could lend to the yellowing off. I think the WW doesn't get real amber at max ripeness. I would cut a sugar leaf or 2 from a couple of the buds and take them out into bright daylight to examine under the lens. You should see some that are clear and most of them cloudy, milky looking, and you may see a couple that are amber. If you don't have 90% or better milky trichs then let them go a few more days and check again. Even if all of the fan leaves die and fall off, as long as the sugar leaves are still green you are ok.

OT: This damn website is telling me I can't rep you again.

I hate that.

On topic: Does the senescene mean that the leaves are no longer functional?

I'd venture to guess that you food was a little on the low side which caused your plant to draw from it's self for food in the end here. At 9 weeks, and judging by your leaves I'd say you have an indica leaning plant which in most cases finish in the 10 week range.

I think all you are seeing is what the Internet seems to call fade. Personally I call it starvation, but to each their own.

I'd get a pair of of scissors ready to go.
:farm:

:yeahthat: Senescence is the 10 dollar word for "fade". Once the leaves reach that point, they are no longer feeding the plant through photosynthesis, but are instead being cannibalized of their available nutrients for the feeding of the buds as she is finishing up flowering. Yes you can go ahead and remove every leaf that has yellowed fully as it is no longer viable. This will also expose the lower buds to light for a few days to help them to ripen.

Latest posts

Back