LED advice needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighBrixMMJ

Reaction score
I am a long time hid HPS grower looking to make the switch to LED. I have done a little research, and I think I like the California light works 440 solar storm. Anyone have experience with this light? Or could recommend a good light? Thanks!

I have used Advanced Diamond Series 300`s for 6 grows and am very happy with `em. Not problem one, well made units. Would spend the money on `em again.

I am a long time hid HPS grower looking to make the switch to LED. I have done a little research, and I think I like the California light works 440 solar storm. Anyone have experience with this light? Or could recommend a good light? Thanks!

I have heard they are good usa made 5w chips...but no first hand so I can't say.

This is the one I have http://www.mars-hydro.com/ the reflector series. I like it. I am quoting a LED guru here in bold, not my words. to grow plants and match or better the yields of HPS, one needs 90 watts per square foot minimum.

Im using a platnium led full spec 300..I love it...and also a apollo p 8 series 360w..my plants are loving both of the lights

This is the one I have http://www.mars-hydro.com/ the reflector series. I like it. I am quoting a LED guru here in bold, not my words. to grow plants and match or better the yields of HPS, one needs 90 watts per square foot minimum.

90 watts per square foot ? On the Advanced LED site, they recommend 30-35 watts per square foot. Big difference. At 90 per, I would need 6 lights, 3 times what I have used for 6 grows. Not saying that my MJ is the best, I`m sure it could be improved upon. I`m far from an LED guru, but find it hard to believe that you need 90 watts per square to have a successful grow. I have had 6 grows using 2 300 watt LED`s. I realize that I`m at my coverage limit and would love to have at least 1 more light and 2 would be great, but the pocketbook says no. Just my thoughts.

Just tossing this in there.. if I were to give LED a try properly in a 4.5' x 4.5' space, how many lights and okwhat kind would I need? I'm clueless to this.

I'm thinking 3 of these? http://www.mars-hydro.com/reflector-led-grow-light-96-3w-99.html

**Sorry to semi-hi-jack the thread.. but I feel I'm on topic hah**[/QUOTE

I look at it like this I want a company that if there is ac problem with light ut can get fixed fast...I prefer smaller wattage leds..reason is that say if I only have 1 600w led it goes out, unless I have a back up light im screwed...but if u were to buy 2 300 w if 1 went out oommingded to be worked on you would at least have 1 light until the other is fixed..If you buy from ebay dont go to their store and purchase unless you agree to terms and where its shipped from..they use wording or discount to get you to purchase off site then you have no ebay guarantee and next thing you know the . You thought was being shipped state side is xomming from china...check out advanced led on amazon full spec 11 3w bridglux chips..its got a veg and bloom light switch 5 yr warranty..heavy duty made glass casing and covers...my apollo p 8 is only reds and blues but is an, awesome light so far. ...can't same the same about customer service....if you got the cash I would buy a, stealth grow or California light works , black dog led...now I am no expert but I know h ow mine are......

Now PJ. I am no expert I know your advice is way better, so I csn onky speak about mine wich i like..so please dont burn me too bsd..im still learning also..

Yes, that is what I have been told also, This is the reason that I have not stepped up to LEDs. I simply cannot afford that much expense right now. PJ is really the only one I trust to advise me on LEDs. There is still a lot of hype (downright lying) on how much area an LED will cover. I do not trust the salespeople and manufacturers at all.

Techron, 4.5 x 4.5 is 20.25 sq ft. That times 90 is 1822W. Three 288W lights are 864W. So, if you are striving for 90W a sq ft, you have a long ways to go. That is what has kept me from going to LEDs. It will just take so many of them and they are so expensive that it is simply out of my price range. If I though that 30-35W per sq ft would cut it, I would be there in an instant.

THG,
Lots of info and people growing with Advanced LED`s at that 30-35 watts per square foot. I`m far from any type of expert / guru or what ever. Everything I say comes from my experience from growing. Have only grown indoors for the last 3 years. Have at least 6 successful grows in that time. Yes, more watts would help, plan on adding at least 1 more light, when finances allow. That being said, know I`m on the low side of the watts game, but my weed is as good as what I could buy at a dispensary. In fact the only weed I have sold was to a dispensary I had bought the seeds from. They tried first and offered to buy 2 oz`s. Have given several oz`s away each grow. IMO.

PS,
Also agree with having several smaller LED`s verses one big one.
Lotsa ** out there concerning LED`s.
Did a LOT of reading and comparing before I bought any.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I have been told also, This is the reason that I have not stepped up to LEDs. I simply cannot afford that much expense right now. PJ is really the only one I trust to advise me on LEDs. There is still a lot of hype (downright lying) on how much area an LED will cover. I do not trust the salespeople and manufacturers at all.

Techron, 4.5 x 4.5 is 20.25 sq ft. That times 90 is 1822W. Three 288W lights are 864W. So, if you are striving for 90W a sq ft, you have a long ways to go. That is what has kept me from going to LEDs. It will just take so many of them and they are so expensive that it is simply out of my price range. If I though that 30-35W per sq ft would cut it, I would be there in an instant.

Yes it could be ...but from what I have in there now they are gooey...sugar coated at 5 weeks..it penetrates so, deep I have the 20 above snd im still growing tiny buds at base...

When your taking about 30-35w per sq foot, or 90watts, one has to wonder if they were both using the same ratings..

For instance my 96X3 Watt LED says its 288watts, but has an actual draw of 170-200 watts. There is a big difference between those two figures. I'm going to assume that one guy was talking specs, and one was talking true power draw.

With two 96X3watt led's you get either 576watts via specs, or 340/400 total draw.

576watts in a 2X4 tent = 72watts as per specs

340/400 = 42.5 or 50watts. Actual power draw
Thats upwards of a 70% difference between the two figures.

I will see if I can attach a meter to my flower tent to see what the total draw of the LED lights I am using in my 4x4 tent is.

I can grow three plants under mine and they do well. I don't grow big plants anymore, or try not too. I did 3 harlequin and lst, something your not supposed to do with led and I wanted to see what they would do, they did great. Small plants...2-3 ounces dried each plant.. But that is not my old growing style so there is a lot of a learning curve.

View attachment led.png

One of the 2 units I have in my 4x4 Flower tent is the same a Rose's.

Thanks everybody. You've been really helpful as always. Much love!

Hard to recommend a led light that isn't all led.

Solar storm adds floros rubbing I thing along sides..heard they are still good lights..tech

The flouros are uvb light. They're supposed to be used in the final stages of flower (last 3-4 weeks). now I've never witnessed this first hand but, it's supposed to " increase potency". That's something I'd like to test if I buy this light. Do a run with the uvb light and a run without. And see the difference firsthand. The uvb is on its own switch, so you don't have to use it.

Ok I think I'm gonna make the jump and purchase two advanced platinum series 300w LEDs. They're 369.00 a piece. I hope that's enough for a 4x4 tent, I am scrogging two plants in that space. In soil all organics. I'll try and start a journal when it's all up and running, I just moved so I have to re set up! UGH!!!! I love growing, but it sure is a lot of work!!!

Latest posts

Back