LED canopy temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you are on the ball, Fang.... I'm just tryIng to suck that PJ guy in to my grow thread :)

My comment on moisture was a direct response to the fact a LED light can not be in more than 80% humidity.

If the light can't handle it, it is garbage.

I'm also laughing at the comments on temps and how they need to be different for LED vs HPS. It's garbage, and I have done more research on the tech then most of the companies that exist right now.

But hey, if you want to challenge me on the subject, take your best shot. Just know that I deal in scientific data, and not what Joe said over at RIP.

BTW not sure what tool goes around spraying bulbs with moisture, but that would be 100% humidity not 80%.

Thanks for your 2 cents PJ, I appreciate you stopping by. I picked up on you laughing at the temp debate, and I do value your opinion, especially considering the work you have done with leds.

Are saying that the radiant heat that comes from HID's and the sun don't have any relation to the ambient temps?

You can 100% feel the radiant heat under HID's, but not quite so much under LED's. Especially if the LED is for vegging.

Do you have any scientific data by chance that could show me the light so to speak? :D

peace

Are saying that the radiant heat that comes from HID's and the sun don't have any relation to the ambient temps?

No, I am not saying anything of the kind. I am stating that you do not need to have a warmer room temperature for LEDs over HID's which was the reason this thread was started, or so the way it read to me. While there is some cause and effect on stomata due to temperatures they are more effected by the amount of CO2 preset in a room. Less CO2 and your leaves will be large, more and the leaves will be smaller.

Yes HPS puts off more heat, that is one of the several reasons LED's are far better than HPS.

It was also said that LED's are not recommended or warrantied in an RH over 80%, and my other comment was that if you have an LED that can not go over 80% that it is not a real light meaning it is crap.

I really can't break it down anymore than that.

Thank You PJ. Knew something didnt sound right. Still havent used Leds yet, but im WARMING up to them. Get it;;;;;;;WARMING UP;;;;;, LOL. Sorry im a little buzzed.
:48:

No, I am not saying anything of the kind. I am stating that you do not need to have a warmer room temperature for LEDs over HID's which was the reason this thread was started, or so the way it read to me. While there is some cause and effect on stomata due to temperatures they are more effected by the amount of CO2 preset in a room. Less CO2 and your leaves will be large, less and the leaves will be smaller.

Yes HPS puts off more heat, that is one of the several reasons LED's are far better than HPS.

It was also said that LED's are not recommended or warrantied in an RH over 80%, and my other comment was that if you have an LED that can not go over 80% that it is not a real light meaning it is crap.

I really can't break it down anymore than that.

Glad to have your wealth of knowledge at hand PJ, I'm sure as I slowly move into the 21st century with my grows that I will need to mine your vast knowledge. I can see being completely hydro under LED's in my future, it's just gonna take me baby steps to get there. Now if you want to talk guerrilla outdoor grows in bags of dirt hanging from trees....deer likes the weed, then I might be able to set you hip to how it's done, I have only been indoors about ten years now.....so still have a long way to go on the finer points of a successful indoor grow.

Glad to have your wealth of knowledge at hand PJ, I'm sure as I slowly move into the 21st century with my grows that I will need to mine your vast knowledge. I can see being completely hydro under LED's in my future, it's just gonna take me baby steps to get there. Now if you want to talk guerrilla outdoor grows in bags of dirt hanging from trees....deer likes the weed, then I might be able to set you hip to how it's done, I have only been indoors about ten years now.....so still have a long way to go on the finer points of a successful indoor grow.

Man, I wish my body was younger. See, I'm young but my body isn't lol. I would love to guerilla grow in trees! :D

I gotta million ofem,,,,,,,well,,,,, maybe one or two anyway. He he

I grew outdoors for years in NorCal. I miss the huge plants, but everything else that went with it, well except for the tequila I don't miss too much.

Hard work for sure.

Appreciate the kind words.

They do if you do it properly :aok:

At first, I was like "where'd all my headroom go?!?!" ... then I doubled up the wire and cut the height they took up in half. If you leave the wire hangers at their like 2 foot length, yep they are quite a bit too long for flowering. Double it up or even triple it up. Not only does this give you more inches of height but you strengthen the cable being used. :aok:

Yea, I doubled my cables originaly. Still not enough headroom. Tripple the cables, maybe but I think doubling and trippling the cables is a disaster waiting to happen.

Some of the lights contain mounts for the hangers that are NOT located on the corners. Instead they are moved in toward the center. You don't need cables with these. Like on the 2015 mars 5w.

I think doubling and tripling the cables is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry mate, but theory stands that when you double up, or more, something like string etc... it only makes it more than double as strong. More pull weight.

Rough that you're still without headroom. You eliminate your pulley system too ya? I had to bypass mine last night, to give more room for the end of the stretch.

Hey doc throw us a few pic's, want to see how your dealing with limited headroom and led's

This is how they look with the wire hangers "doubled up". You could go as far as triple up, but that'd be pretty messy and not fun to do. I would use mechanics wire and make an "X" with them for the hangers. I actually DID do that on day one because those darn wire hangers were SOOOOoooooo long!! After I doubled them up, I was happy. What I'm doing right now to fight my height issue during the stretch, is, I eliminated my pulley system, and hooked right onto the top of the frame. That's as absolutely high as any light should go. It has enough space in the top of the tent to do the "air intake, exhaust" thingie it needs to do :D :) hah

I'll get a pic tonight. In one tent, I have 2 of the fixtures at the same height and then two others that both vary in height. One of them, I clipped further up the pulley, and the other is hanging from the top bar of the tent. :aok:

Replaced the cable with light duty chain and hooks, very adjustable now.

Hey doc throw us a few pic's, want to see how your dealing with limited headroom and led's

Some pics of my LED's. Two are at the same height, and the other two are staggered. One of the LED's is as absolutely high as I can get it in a tent now I believe. I want to leave enough space for the light to "breathe".

In the first picture, the light is hanging normally with the pulley system.
In the second picture, the light is up on the top hook of the pulley system, and surpassing most of the pulley.
In the third picture, the pulley system is entirely surpassed.
All lights have had the wires doubled, to gain some height.

View attachment LEDHangersTall (1 of 3).JPG

View attachment LEDHangersTall (2 of 3).JPG

View attachment LEDHangersTall (3 of 3).JPG

View attachment LEDHangersWide (1 of 1).JPG

It appears to me that much more force than usual is exerted on the bent area of the cables and at the crimps when doubled and tripled. This is what I did instead.

View attachment SAM_0129.JPG

lildog, I see your temp meter reading 79 ontop of the light. Is it warmer or cooler underneath? I would assume slightly warmer, and that would put you in the low 80's. Which is what I have been trying to figure out...

That meter is positioned so I can see it from my recliner and has an extension probe you can't see that's hanging down below about 2'. I have been trying to stay below 81. Some plants don't get the ventilation they always need and often get to 83. I prefer 75-77 simply because I am more comfortable, that's just not always feasible, it's hot here.

Latest posts

Back