LED grow low yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonsense

Reaction score
AEF45F5C-10D6-4F6B-9E07-911B8E041B60.jpeg
3422B221-B1FD-44DF-AB93-BD128AFF8FEF.jpeg
AEF45F5C-10D6-4F6B-9E07-911B8E041B60.jpeg
3422B221-B1FD-44DF-AB93-BD128AFF8FEF.jpeg
75A0FB78-9840-44D2-A30B-F4A9D6B6E4EC.jpeg
DFBA5336-D425-4AF5-97A6-FE0D9C0DE325.jpeg
F8028826-70FD-436E-B962-29B3926C18BE.jpeg
Hi there

I’m bottling a crop of dried bud, pre trimmed. I dry trim during the curing process.

This was my first grow using all LED lights, from seed to harvest. The lights are Sanlight S4W of which I have 6, so 840watt total. I ran approximately 28 deg Celsius up to week 5 of flower, and then lowered the temps gradually until harvest. My canopy was fairly even, using the main lining technique. I have fairly good control over humidity.
The problem I experienced is that my fan leaves start senescence shortly after week 3 of flower. I let it go because I’ve read that it’s a good thing. Upper fan leaves turn yellow, and I get fast leaf drop on lower fan leaves. I’ve grown 5 times before, and am still exploring various philosophies. On my last grow, I incorporated the LEDs gradually, replacing my 600watt HPS lights, as I purchased the LEDs, mid flower. The same thing happened- fan leaves started yellowing rapidly, as I transitioned to LED. I was in the final weeks of flower as this happened, and was happy with the yield.

On this grow, the bud looked very good before harvesting, but now that they’ve dried out a little, I can see that the weight is poor.

I’ve been growing in a self mixed “ organic” soil, with little supplementation of Biobizz nutes, and compost teas. I used no inorganics, including pH stabilisers. I don’t think the substrate is the problem.

My theory is that the lights were too close to the canopy. I’m asking if anybody has any experience with this issue. Why am I having such poor results with supposedly excellent LED lights?

I’ve posted pictures of this grow. Please ask questions if needed to help me solve this problem.

Hi Nonesence , great pictures , I have just changed from HPS 600 to 2 x 600 LED and have found the same thing , buds looked great but have dried lite , I also had a lot of wasted buds under the canopy , my fault for not pruning but didn't have much waste with the HPS ,

Thanks QBCrocket

Sanlight is supposed to be full spectrum, but I got very leafy growth. I must say, my bud is full of trichomes, and the plants were doing great in veg.
I can’t afford light yields, so I’m gonna spring for a Gavita to add to the tent, and run 2 of the Sanlights as supplemental.

Still, if someone can explain the plant physiology that is causing this, I’d be very grateful. I’m after some real knowledge please folks.

Latest posts

Back