LED Info needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranek Icewalker

Reaction score
Anyone out there experienced with a full LED grow?

I know alot of people say they are terrible and too expensive etc, but im just really interested if anyone has successfully grown a nice crop with LED.

Another forum i frequent has a few dudes who grow with LED exclusive, anyone tried it?

Im trying to think of a way i can continue to grow in the summer, im having trouble keeping my temps down below 84 in my new place with my 1000w, i cant imagine what it will be like in July.

My temps are solely from lack of viable areas to vent, i have the equipment to cool and vent properly i just cant utilize it well enough here.

Can a mod please delete this thread, i accidentally put it in the wrong area :(

Anyone out there experienced with a full LED grow?

I know alot of people say they are terrible and too expensive etc, but im just really interested if anyone has successfully grown a nice crop with LED.

Another forum i frequent has a few dudes who grow with LED exclusive, anyone tried it?

Im trying to think of a way i can continue to grow in the summer, im having trouble keeping my temps down below 84 in my new place with my 1000w, i cant imagine what it will be like in July.

My temps are solely from lack of viable areas to vent, i have the equipment to cool and vent properly i just cant utilize it well enough here.

From what I have read on them to work for vegging good but for flowering they don't do as good of a job. The panels that use 3watt LED seem to be the best choice according to a couple other using them that I talk to else where.

just delete your first post of this thread and it will delete the thread.

Thanks ODD, i have considered getting two of the 357 Magnum Panels, they put out about 500W read a few journals from a guy who got .9 per watt from them.

But i have no idea if the buds were airy, which is one of my main concerns with LED right now.

Just want some concrete information from someone on here, someone i know isnt working for the company selling the LED's.

Stoney I think is working some led lighting and hopeful he will chime in. That was the main complant I have seen was the the LED produced airy buds and less weight per area compared to HPS lights.

my budy grows full out on leds and iv seen his grows do well in veg and then he never gets a good return when they flower id recomend some other lighting for flowering mybe cfl just a thout// peace

jesuse said:
my budy grows full out on leds and iv seen his grows do well in veg and then he never gets a good return when they flower id recomend some other lighting for flowering mybe cfl just a thout// peace

Lumen for lumen, CFLs will run hotter than a HPS.

I run my lights at night during the summer to help with the heat.

From the research I have done into LEDs it seems you can flower with them if you have the money to buy the proper panels. Google irshboy led grow and you will see some pretty good LED grows but the panels he uses are expensive. It all comes down to getting the right panels...if the price seems cheap you are not getting the right ones. Jmo

I'm wondering if the initial cost of the lights is soon offset by the savings on electricity?

Im not shying away from dropping some cash up front if they Work, anything is better than the aggravation of suffering through heat issues and ending up with bud that wasnt worth the time or money spent to grow because its Airy and wispy.

Really does seem hit and miss with the LED panels, ive looked into the 357 Magnums, a fella on RIU uses them and his yields are .9 per watt, or so he claims, ive seen the GJs and they look amazing, only problem is i dont know or trust the guy to not be a LED salesman :)

Thanks all.

ive been told that there are false informing grows on the web where guys grow under HPS or MH and then swap in their LEDs to take pics. They do this to boost sales of their LED panels. Efficiency is key to any grow, elec is $$$$....BUT skimping on dense light will screw you. I still maintain that LEDs are useless. You CAN veg with them only, but your could do it cheaper and with more light and less heat using a CFL or small MH

check out this guy he grows under led
hxxp://www.youtube.com/user/BetterOverallSystem

i bought a reasonably priced led...it was advertised to cover a 4' x 4' area. I'm glad i didn't pay mega bucks for it like some of them are asking. I personally have no confidense, and if I had to resort to cheap lights I think I'd do a scrog with florecents.....other wise.....I to hate the cost of electricity...and can see why we explore and even try other avenues that look cheaper to operate with..I don't think to many are sold on leds, and i have one and i don't think it's good for flowering only.....might be wrong...good for veg but why pay money....my oppinion......with out all the facts...

I'm with OG--I just don't really trust those videos. It is simply too easy to fake results or use other light sources.

Sickbiker--that link just takes us to a bunch of videos--I couldn't find the one you were talking about.

ozzydiodude said:
Stoney I think is working some led lighting and hopeful he will chime in. That was the main complaint I have seen was the the LED produced airy buds and less weight per area compared to HPS lights.

I've used LEDs now for rooting clones and vegging. The panel I used was a 12" x 12", 28 watt panel called a "GlowPanel45".

I got excellent results on the rooting and the vegging. I'm too busy right not to go a full grow, but I will as soon as I can.

The vegging room needed no cooling. That's one of the absolute benefits of using the LEDs. The plants also had the tightest nodes I've ever seen on an MJ plant, and I've seen thousands of them grown using anything from natural sunlight to CFLs.

The ONLY doubt I have left is their value in flowering. I'll be setting up my own experiment for that soon. I'll make a thread on it.

Thanks for the mention, Ozzy.

I just found out most of irishboys led grows were pulled from mjp because no one else could do the same with the same light. Some good led name tossed around, if you have the money are lumigrow, spectra from growledhydro, ledgrow.se, and stealhgrow. Some one on a forum said he visited stealhgrow in cali and they have a sg(602) 600 watt going head to head with a 1000 watt horilux hps and the led is winning and the led bud is more potent.

Seems alot of people are skeptics of the GJ's and Videos out there, one of the main reasons im shying away is for these reasons, it always seems that someone that does a great led grow is always sponsored or got the lights free from some LED company to test em out, that smells of Bias to me and i dont trust it.

I guess everyone agrees they can veg, but no one knows for sure what their bloom potential really is, only way to find out is to drop 1500ish and take the plunge it looks like.

Not sure if im ready for that yet :)

Spearchucker knows quite a bit about LEDs.....he did a lot of research on them and is good at spotting the good ones over the junk ones....maybe hit him up with a pm....wish we had the @ function over here so we cld just page him to this thread.

The owner of the hydro store i go is going to let me try out one of his lumigrow led He swears by it. I told him im still not sure so he wants me to use his light on my next grow. So i will see what happens

Latest posts

Back