LED instead of HPS ?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart17

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have to say its nice to been here again in this forum.
I learned growing MJ 4-5 years ago from this forum. So first of all i wanna say hello for my buddy Hushpuppy, i hope hes alright in these days.

Today now im an experienced grower with a lot of successfull grow behind me.

Lately though i have some problems with the heat/CO2/Air circulation.

Since i cant install a split a/c unit and in europe i cant find a dual hose mobile a/c. I have to figure out what should i do with the Co2 that is blowing out becouse of the portable a/c unit in summers.

And here comes the LED light.
I did some research about it and i have to say that LED lights are developing and evolve so nice and quickly that maybe soon its time to slowly exchange my HPS to LED's.

I created this topic becouse im curious about some people's opinion about this good technology. Hushpuppy, THG, Rosebud, Hamster and other experienced people

I know back in the days THG's opinion was that LED lights are not good enough and everyone agreed, also me.

But now with the 3w and the 5w diodes comming out maybe there is time to think about it.

I have a 4mx5m room with good height.
4x 600w hps
Soil grow
White Russian

Im seriously thinking abut slowly replacing my HPS light systems to LED grow lights.

I think the best ones are the 5w diode ones but i dont know wich brand is the best for successful flowering.

I did some research about the Mars 2 led and with the 1200w(input 600w)
or 1600w(750w) several grower did a really good run with high yields.

I dont want to save electricity...just want to normalize heat in the summers and want to use the advantages of this modern led system.

Ive read that the 1200w and 1600w also doing heat but i assume its far not that hot as a 600w hps.

I really want to hear your opinion guys about this Mars 2 led light . I know it comes from china but a lot of peaple claim that its made from good material.
It has 5w diodes in it so it could be a replacement for the HPS.
Also it has a 3 year warranty.

Have not saw Hushpuppy on this forum since I joined almost a year ago. He was on 420 mag when we all left.

Hushpuppy is here, just maybe not feeling well at the moment. Sending healing mojo Hush.

Welcome back Mart! Led's are much much cooler running. Mine in the shed run less then 10 degrees above the ambient temp. I like mine. I don't know if I get the same weight in the end or not. I need to grow more under them than I have. Hamster is putting out the dank with them too, I bet he will stop by.

THG has got her feet wet too. Her computer is down today, but she will catch up with you.

Hey everyone!

I have to say its nice to been here again in this forum.
I learned growing MJ 4-5 years ago from this forum. So first of all i wanna say hello for my buddy Hushpuppy, i hope hes alright in these days.

Today now im an experienced grower with a lot of successfull grow behind me.

Lately though i have some problems with the heat/CO2/Air circulation.

Since i cant install a split a/c unit and in europe i cant find a dual hose mobile a/c. I have to figure out what should i do with the Co2 that is blowing out becouse of the portable a/c unit in summers.

And here comes the LED light.
I did some research about it and i have to say that LED lights are developing and evolve so nice and quickly that maybe soon its time to slowly exchange my HPS to LED's.

I created this topic becouse im curious about some people's opinion about this good technology. Hushpuppy, THG, Rosebud, Hamster and other experienced people

I know back in the days THG's opinion was that LED lights are not good enough and everyone agreed, also me.

But now with the 3w and the 5w diodes comming out maybe there is time to think about it.

I have a 4mx5m room with good height.
4x 600w hps
Soil grow
White Russian

Im seriously thinking abut slowly replacing my HPS light systems to LED grow lights.

I think the best ones are the 5w diode ones but i dont know wich brand is the best for successful flowering.

I did some research about the Mars 2 led and with the 1200w(input 600w)
or 1600w(750w) several grower did a really good run with high yields.

I dont want to save electricity...just want to normalize heat in the summers and want to use the advantages of this modern led system.

Ive read that the 1200w and 1600w also doing heat but i assume its far not that hot as a 600w hps.

I really want to hear your opinion guys about this Mars 2 led light . I know it comes from china but a lot of peaple claim that its made from good material.
It has 5w diodes in it so it could be a replacement for the HPS.
Also it has a 3 year warranty.

Ok so you say led or hps but you dont want any opionions abiut the lights you are using...well I guess maybe you at an expert grower but not at led?...I dont knock any company im just waiting for about a, year or 2 see how long these mars lights last...soo good luck to you sir..

Hey Rosebud!

Much cooler?! Thats a nice thing to hear....in summer im having a hard time maintaining my CO2 system.

Well techtrones to be honest im not in a hurry...My HPS setup doing a really good work.
But im kinda modern guy and personally i really like the led's evolving.
Soon we will switch our hps systems to leds for sure.

Hey Rosebud!

Much cooler?! Thats a nice thing to hear....in summer im having a hard time maintaining my CO2 system.

Well techtrones to be honest im not in a hurry...My HPS setup doing a really good work.
But im kinda modern guy and personally i really like the led's evolving.
Soon we will switch our hps systems to leds for sure.

You will love them. .I do....

I have been running all LED lights in my Flower Tent now for many months. Made the switch from HPS and am not looking back. I have one unit from TopLed and One custom unit that PJ had made. Love them both.

Yea hammy I want to get my hands on a PJX180 or two myself :)

Been using my LED`s for 3 years or so, on almost constantly. Very happy with them, but always room for improvement. Have the real Advanced Diamond Series 300`s x 3, not the knockoff`s on flea bay.

Like mentioned, I am just getting my feet wet. IMO, a few years back LEDs were not up to par, they cost so much, and were so overhyped that no one could count on reliable information from the manufacturers. They get better and cheaper all the time, but are still quite expensive. I am on my first run and so, with this LED stuff, I am a newby, too.

First I can say that while they run cooler, they still put out a lot of heat. And they are still expensive. I got a lot of conflicting information in my search for knowledge, so am kind of figuring that I am going to have to discover at least some of this on own. One of the things I have learned is that the LEDs are pretty directional and do not have a large footprint like HIDs. Because if this, it is often better to buy more smaller fixtures than 1 or 2 larger ones.

While you are supposed to be able to use 50% of the wattage with LEDs that you had with HIDs, I am replacing a 1000W HPS light with approx. 700w of LEDs (actual draw). I purchased a Mars II 700W that pulls around 330W. I am also using a light that someone loaned to me, an Apollo Purple Sun 768W that pulls about 370W. They are different types of LEDs. The Apollo is a cob and you are familiar with Mars II. Heat tests I have done show me that the Mar II runs hotter than the Apollo. Running the lights at night, I am able to keep the upper temps in the closet in the mid 70s. We have a blistering long heat wave coming--about 2 weeks with temps at 100 or higher every day....we will see how we do. I was worried that the LEDs may not put out enough heat for winter growing, but they do not run as cool as we are led to believe.

Coverage areas was where I seemed to get a lot of conflicting advise. The number of 60 working watts per ft was kicked around, but also the "you can run 50% as many watts" as you had HIDs. So, since many of use only run 60W or so of HPS light, running 60W of LED would not be cutting my wattage. I had ordered a 3 x 5 tent for this project, but it ended up being a 5 x 5 tent that was just too large for the space I had planned, so I went back to my original flowering closet, which is 3 x 6.5.

It is still quite expensive to go with LEDs. You can get a Mars II 700W for just under $300. I think the Apollo runs around $400. So, I am using about $700 worth of LED light to replace a 1000w HPS that cost under $200. And LED technology keeps improving at a fast rate.

I believe that I may live to see the repeal of the cannabis laws, something I have hoped for since the 70s. And because of the changing laws, I think that manufacturers are scrambling to produce better cheaper lighting as there will be a large demand for it. Oregon's recreational law, which goes into effect July 1, allows 4 plants per household. Not a lot, but jeez, what a step forward!

Yes, I too am believing that we will live to see cannabis free and legal to all. At 67 years old, it`s about time, but hurry up, some of us old farts ain`t got a lotta time left in the vertical position.
FREE THE WEED.

Yup, it's gonna happen. THG I'll be swinging LED's at some point, so watching to see your grow, hope you like them. When the time comes I'll go with a little higher end fixture, but only when I feel like the return will be worth my investment. The MARS are good lights, they should do well.

Return on investment ? Not having to buy any MJ for 3 years, think I`m on the plus side now.

The BML Spydr`s look great. I checked `em out, really like `em, but the cost is prohibited on my wallet. Luv `em, just can`t afford `em. Next up is another DS 300, will buy on Veteran`s Day, cheapest price all year for veterans.

I'm so impressed by my Mars lights... I didn't think they would work as good as they do. I can't wait to get entirely dialed in and really see what they can do!

Thank you everyone for the replies.
It was really useful.

Im really sad that here in middle europe politicans and the people really dumb and stupid.
The law is very harsh against MJ growers so as with the users. Would be really happy if they would have just realize that mj needs to be categorized to a different type of drug ...near to the alcohol. But i think thats not going to happen in the near future. Maybe when USA changing a lot Europe will too.

This mars led is quite good it seems but still i will wait a little to see how this tech will improve in the near future.

I need to re configure my whole electricity plans for my room if i wanna chang to led.

My main goal is to replace my 4x 600w hps to leds. Im using adjust a-wings reflector so im a bit worried about the leds light coverage. Im having quite a good harvest with my setup in winter but in summer im having a hard time.

How many led do i need to replace my 4x600w hps?! I have to say that my wattage shouldnt outrun 600w/ fixture (input) becouse this is the maximum i can use. My electricity is limited.

Becouse of the co2 the only good method is the dual hose mobile air conditioner for cooling right?! I cant menage to build a split air conditioner becouse of safety. I can only use mobile air conditioner wich can be put inside and not having an outside unit.

If i cant menage this i will change to my lights to leds so can control the heat much more in summers.

How many time a LED fixture cooler than HPS 600w? The equal version?!(2x700w led?!)
A 600w hps equals 1x 1200w 5wdiodes led or 2x 700w led?!

If i get a light mover 1 bigger led panel can menage the light right?! The area if wich it needs to be covered is like 5 foot x 6.5foot (1.5m x 2m). I can menage to grow this space with my 1x 600w hps with adjust a wings. The outer ring of plants are not that strong as inner ones but i have decent yields and im using 4x600whps close to each other so i can grow like 60 plants in sog method.

Latest posts

Back