LED or Plasma lighting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighBrixMMJ

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with these forms of lights as I was contemplating buying and running one or the other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Please only comment if you've used these lights before thanks in advance.

I use the Diamond Series Led light its a full spectrum 11 band I have not used the hm/hps lights. the ds led does cost more that the hps//hm but I save on electric and cooling I can cool with a fan instead of an a/c unit. all I can say is the DS is worth it I do recommend it if your interested in LED light.

Why have you decided on one of those rather than a HPS? How much space are you talking about lighting? LEDs will work, but the only ones I have seen that do very well at all are horribly expensive.

skullcandy said:
I use the Diamond Series Led light its a full spectrum 11 band I have not used the hm/hps lights. the ds led does cost more that the hps//hm but I save on electric and cooling I can cool with a fan instead of an a/c unit. all I can say is the DS is worth it I do recommend it if your interested in LED light.

HPS is best for Flower,,HO T5s are best for vegging. But I would grow all the way with HO T5s before I would buy Leds,,and I have.;)

My wife works for an electric company and says that they have new LED streetlights that are very powerful. I don't know if they are cost effective yet but it looks like they are getting better. I have have not heard anything about Plasma. Is that new for growing under?

Hushpuppy said:
My wife works for an electric company and says that they have new LED streetlights that are very powerful. I don't know if they are cost effective yet but it looks like they are getting better. I have have not heard anything about Plasma. Is that new for growing under?

I wounder what Spectrum they lean toward? I hope one of these days LEDS or powerful enough to replace HPS,,and not priced like they are made of gold.:D

The Hemp Goddess said:
Why have you decided on one of those rather than a HPS? How much space are you talking about lighting? LEDs will work, but the only ones I have seen that do very well at all are horribly expensive.

I choose LED because of the price, I know the lights are expensive but I save in the long run leds waist less electricity they create less heat I use a fan instead of an a/c unit and they don't get replaced often once every three years I also do not have to cool the light the fans inside the leds unit itself keeps my tent between 75-85 degrees the hottest It has gotten was 88 without a fan on zipped up in the tent for half a day I did that just to see how hot it would get. and the buds I got with 100 watts are decent of course I would like to add 300 watts and make it a 400 watt for a bigger yeild of buds but for now I like what I got I grow two plants under this light IMO the DS 11 band spectrum is worth the asking price for what it produced and then again I still got 2 1/2 years to grow with it to see how it stands up to lots of use

WeedHopper said:
HPS is best for Flower,,HO T5s are best for vegging. But I would grow all the way with HO T5s before I would buy Leds,,and I have.;)

I have not tryed HPS lights yet I do plan to next winter outside in my storage shed where the heat can warm the room so I don't have to put a heater for now I like what the LEDS are doing for me

THG the reason I was thinking about switching to these lights is I live in a climate where the summer months are brutal. 100 degrees with 100% rh. I have great ventilation( 2 centrifugal fans 1 460 cfm for exhaust and one 190 cfm for intake) and I still need to run an ac unit in the room to keep temps down and sometimes it still gets near 90. I was just thinking how I might save money by not having to run my ac unit and also leds and plasmas are more efficient and less heat output therefore saving on energy bills and keeping heat down. Hopefully increasing my yields. I know theyre expensive but in my situation maybe worth their weight in gold. Ive seen good 300w LED's for $700, while theyve finally made a horticulture plasma 300w for $1,200.

I should mention i run a 600w cooltube mh/hps already with digital ballast.

skullcandy said:
I choose LED because of the price, I know the lights are expensive but I save in the long run leds waist less electricity they create less heat I use a fan instead of an a/c unit and they don't get replaced often once every three years I also do not have to cool the light the fans inside the leds unit itself keeps my tent between 75-85 degrees the hottest It has gotten was 88 without a fan on zipped up in the tent for half a day I did that just to see how hot it would get. and the buds I got with 100 watts are decent of course I would like to add 300 watts and make it a 400 watt for a bigger yeild of buds but for now I like what I got I grow two plants under this light IMO the DS 11 band spectrum is worth the asking price for what it produced and then again I still got 2 1/2 years to grow with it to see how it stands up to lots of use

Actually, my understanding with LEDs is that you really need to use the same wattages of LEDs as you would use HPS (this from P Jammer). So basically your only savings is in not having to deal with the heat. If you live in a locale that you do not need to use A/C to cool your space, I am guessing that your savings wouldn't really be much.

HighBrixMMJ said:
THG the reason I was thinking about switching to these lights is I live in a climate where the summer months are brutal. 100 degrees with 100% rh. I have great ventilation( 2 centrifugal fans 1 460 cfm for exhaust and one 190 cfm for intake) and I still need to run an ac unit in the room to keep temps down and sometimes it still gets near 90. I was just thinking how I might save money by not having to run my ac unit and also leds and plasmas are more efficient and less heat output therefore saving on energy bills and keeping heat down. Hopefully increasing my yields. I know theyre expensive but in my situation maybe worth their weight in gold. Ive seen good 300w LED's for $700, while theyve finally made a horticulture plasma 300w for $1,200.

IMO these are really good lights for decent prices at advanced leds .com:icon_smile:

these are some of what the 100 watt led grow for me they are of course the colas and the rest were alright too just not as big

downsized_0207130834.jpg

downsized_0207130838b.jpg

downsized_0207130839a.jpg

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, my understanding with LEDs is that you really need to use the same wattages of LEDs as you would use HPS (this from P Jammer). So basically your only savings is in not having to deal with the heat. If you live in a locale that you do not need to use A/C to cool your space, I am guessing that your savings wouldn't really be much.

as for the same amount of wattage as an hps I do not know I have not see from em what the HPS do but I do hear they are kick butt my highs and lows range from -9 F the coldest and rare to 103 the highest average a guess 95 I like the weather where I live as for experience with all the lights I do not have but the led does work and pretty good IMO. I am curious to see what light highbrixmmj does go with I readed somewhere that the plasma light claims to last ten years before It needs replacing or starts to lose it's lumes or something like that

plantlighting said:
The light source is a LUXIM STA 41.02 LiFi module which has an average life of 30,000 hours.

Just a little bit of what I found

Yeah pcduck ive heard about those lights, and read about em thanks. I was just wondering if anyone has actually used them and produced with them, we can all claim what we want but I kinda wanna see proof before spending 1200 on a light. you know what I mean. Do you know anyone who runs em or do you run em?

Nope.. I cannot see spending $1200 on a 30,000 hour light.

They sure sound good except for that

i ve seen the yotube videos where they show you how they work. still new tec wait for a while a let them get the bugs out then think about it agian. remember the fogger/hydro phase now where are they now where to be found.

Latest posts

Back