Led's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can ,4 -5" high hats burn +or - around the same as a 60 watt incandesent .
A THING FROM GOD! the Leds that are a 1/2 thick that have a cord and a splice box with the driver in that can go over a floor joist.If you are setting a pattern of high hats in a kitchen symmetry is important and the beams dont work out or there are pipes in the bay or ac ducts .Times i have put a shower high hat and you want it center but a beam is in the way .Now they straddle the beam. Did a job where we rewired the whole house because it was aluminum.In the boiler room i put a led high hat that is also removable so it gave me access to the little attic above near the panel.The retrofit led trims for high hats are pretty good imho
Do they make any ceiling hugging look a like (highhats) in LED so I can surface mount the lights, the space I want to mount them is pretty much not accessible to wire without opening the ceiling area . Too tight to get a monkey in there.

guys sorry for giving my 2 cents on this, i see the names Mars hydro and Spiderfarmer over and over again on the last pages...dont you think this lights are overpriced as heck? I do see them as overpriced. I tend to guess the value of a light by comparing them to the price of the samsung Quantum Boards. The mixed colour boards with 288 diodes..many manufacturers sell them as a DIY kit with a Meanwell driver. Or they build there on heatsinks and fictures for these boards. 301H boards with a meanwell HLG series, thats pretty much as good as it can get. The less you power your boards, the more efficient they are.

Long story short, i always have in mind what a set of 2 boards and a meanwell 240Watt driver cost and compare that to the lamps being offered...i find most of them are too expensive. The tents look good though. Of Mars Hydro.

i spotted out Maxsisun and GLS to have good value...hope im not fired now by some sponsor. Or just buy the number of Quantum Boards you need with right driver. many shops sell them prebuild with heatsinks, often under their own brand name.

I have famur lights which are pretty cheap like $75-80 on sale for 110 watts and use Samsung chips with a good quality heat sink. One of the most popular on Amazon and a lot of people are happy with it. Kilowatt usage is 105-110

well i wouldnt bet on whats popular on Amazon XD..
105 KW... i didnt know youre commercial.

to me the coverage of the light is whats most important. The smaller the lightsource, the higher the chance that some spots are obstructed from light. so for a 60x60 tent in a perfect case i would wish for a 55x55 cm lightpanel. Its gonna have less power/diode density ofc. But it will have by far the best characteristics. Even better than a light with many bars. But enough space for airflow must be there.

Lol whoops this phone autocorrected that.

Yeah it's just 110 regular ol watts

Is your grow space 60cm x60cm or 60 inches?
If it's inches then you could use one of the mars hydro fc-e 3000 or if money isn't a factor then fc 6000.

If it's cm then maybe check out mogobe octopus 300. Only because you want to control the width and such.

Last edited:
I just h
guys sorry for giving my 2 cents on this, i see the names Mars hydro and Spiderfarmer over and over again on the last pages...dont you think this lights are overpriced as heck? I do see them as overpriced. I tend to guess the value of a light by comparing them to the price of the samsung Quantum Boards. The mixed colour boards with 288 diodes..many manufacturers sell them as a DIY kit with a Meanwell driver. Or they build there on heatsinks and fictures for these boards. 301H boards with a meanwell HLG series, thats pretty much as good as it can get. The less you power your boards, the more efficient they are.

Long story short, i always have in mind what a set of 2 boards and a meanwell 240Watt driver cost and compare that to the lamps being offered...i find most of them are too expensive. The tents look good though. Of Mars Hydro.

i spotted out Maxsisun and GLS to have good value...hope im not fired now by some sponsor. Or just buy the number of Quantum Boards you need with right driver. many shops sell them prebuild with heatsinks, often under their own brand name.
I happened to choose the spider farmer 2000 when I started up. I bought the kit from them directly and have been super happy with the light for sure. I’m on my 2nd grow now. They are my grow to lights as all my girls love them. I think worth the price but I would be no good at piece milling one together. I’m sure there is a cheaper way but I’m considering another one for a new veg space…

i already have lights. i had 4 panels to cover the whole area but airflow was to small so i had to take out 1 light. I very much recommend filling as much space with panel as possible. If you can fit 2 lights instead of one? You can power each 50% and it will be brighter than 1 at 100% because efficiency is better. Good if youre living in a country with crazy power bill. Plus the diode and driver stay cooler and will live longer. Plus perfect light distribution to every spot.

I still use 1k dimmable digital ballasts and raptor hoods. I flower at 750 watts per hood after ~week 5 and get ~2lb of the stickiest dank per light

Lumens per watt at 1 meter & grams of herb per watt used, LED tech is just not as efficient as manufacturers lie about.

I still use 1k dimmable digital ballasts and raptor hoods. I flower at 750 watts per hood after ~week 5 and get ~2lb of the stickiest dank per light

Lumens per watt at 1 meter & grams of herb per watt used, LED tech is just not as efficient as manufacturers lie about.
Maybe one day I will understand the lumens per watt at 1 meter vs grams per watt thing…😮

I have no idea about LEDS.
I've grown under HOT5s for yrs and grew some really nice dank. Had a 4ft 8 Tube system that put out 40,000 lumens.
5000 lumens per tube. Used 6500K for veg and 2700K for flower. Also mixed them in the first couple weeks of flower.

Maybe one day I will understand the lumens per watt at 1 meter vs grams per watt thing…😮
You put a light meter at a ~3 feet and measure the intensity coming from your light. The benchmark is the sun which is ideally 10,000 lumens per square foot in the mid day sun. You want to recreate this as close to possible.
With HPS lights you are close ~8000 lumens at 3 feet from the light.
With LED you aren’t anywhere near the sun at 3 feet from the light. The last one I tested was 1300 lumens at 3 feet from the light using 220 watts of LED. That is more then 1/5th the power and less then 1/5th the light output.

so for the wattage used and output attained, LEDs are not as efficient as HID lighting with respect to grams of total harvest per watt of power used.

Will LEDs work? Sure. Is it the most efficient in the producing the most grams of herb for your effort? Nope.
I have no idea about LEDS.
I've grown under HOT5s for yrs and grew some really nice dank. Had a 4ft 8 Tube system that put out 40,000 lumens.
5000 lumens per tube. Used 6500K for veg and 2700K for flower. Also mixed them in the first couple weeks of flower.
40,000 lumens at what distance though. The number is somewhat arbitrary. Lumens per square foot at a set distance is what’s important.

From what I have read, PPFD is a better way to assess a grow light as it takes into account the spectra of light that plants use. I have seen what @OGKushman and @WeedHopper grow so obviously lumens work. I have also had excellent results with T5 bulbs. They just use more energy than LED’s per lumen or umol/sec/m^2(or whatever the units are)…

From what I have read, PPFD is a better way to assess a grow light as it takes into account the spectra of light that plants use. I have seen what @OGKushman and @WeedHopper grow so obviously lumens work. I have also had excellent results with T5 bulbs. They just use more energy than LED’s per lumen or umol/sec/m^2(or whatever the units are)…
White spectrums are more energetic then reds. So measuring different kelvin temperatures and comparing the output is not linear.

Flowering plants do not need 6000+ K temps so the extra intensity from white or even infrared is an uneven comparison.

Totals lumens per set distance and area is an even comparison.

My T5s were 4" from the canopy and i used 2700k in flowering. Ive got pictures of some very nice tight buds i grew with my T5s.

My T5s were 4" from the canopy and i used 2700k in flowering.
But what was the lumen output halfway down the canopy or like 3 feet away? It’s only half the equation.
6D640482-E2E0-4304-9166-F1DD8B392369.jpeg

Will LEDs work? Sure. Is it the most efficient in the producing the most grams of herb for your effort? Nope.

40,000 lumens at what distance though. The number is somewhat arbitrary. Lumens per square foot at a set distance is what’s important.
He's not talking about led, but T5. My LEDs outperform my hps in everyway. Both 600 watts total. All lights performance drops off with distance, MH and HPS are no exceptions here.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back