Led's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I do small personal grows so I am perfectly happy with my harvest and my buds.
As I said I am not arguing that HPS penetration is better,,,,, but for me not necessary because I use side lighting that does the same thing without removing fan leaves.
I laugh because I was actually told I couldn't grow from start to finish with HOT5s right here on this site back in 2008.
So I did it and posted my grow and proved them wrong. After that they sent members to me that wanted to grow with HOT5s.😁
Since then I have grown several times from start to finish with great results and will continue to do so. Although I am thinking about adding LEDs into the mix because of what I've seen with Trichomes being so heavy with LEDs.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between growing to sell vs growing for personal use. With my T5 grows, I was able to supply enough bud out of a 2x4x4 tent for me, my wife, my 2 sons and their friends with some left over for long term storage. A half pound or so is manageable for me. A couple of pounds would be a waste for me. I assume OG grows as a business and that is great and he has acknowledged basically different strokes for different folks. I will sit down and shut up now…
After all these years I still have 4 patients including myself. I wouldn’t call it a business as it’s not very profitable. It’s a hobby of mine and I do it for my own joy and for my need to help these last 3 who have become like family. Two of them were supposed to be dead a very long time ago and both of them still thank me to tears when I see them. How could I ever stop helping them? My space is 5x9x8 and I use 2-1k HPS in 8” raptor hoods both set to 750w since about week 5 of flower. I have achieved the same numbers per watt over a 10 week flower as commercial, and I haven’t used a single PGR.

big whoop I know. I get carried away. This is an LED thread and I ruined it 🤪

Yep. I do small personal grows so I am perfectly happy with my harvest and my buds.
As I said I am not arguing that HPS penetration is better,,,,, but for me not necessary because I use side lighting that does the same thing without removing fan leaves.
I laugh because I was actually told I couldn't grow from start to finish with HOT5s right here on this site back in 2008.
So I did it and posted my grow and proved them wrong. After that they sent members to me that wanted to grow with HOT5s.😁
Since then I have grown several times from start to finish with great results and will continue to do so. Although I am thinking about adding LEDs into the mix because of what I've seen with Trichomes being so heavy with LEDs.
I went with some cheap blurple LED’s after the T5’s. I think I get better penetration. Side lighting has never been an option for me because I always have one more plant than my tent can handle do I overcrowd them. If I get to the point where I need a new LED, I will get a white light LED but LED’s supposedly have 50,000 hours of life so mine will likely outlive me…

This thread is fine guys. That's what makes this place great. We can have discussions and even a difference of opinion without acting like assholes.
If I was growing for other ppl than I would most likely go to HPS for just that reason.
Yehaaaaaaaaaaa 🤠

Wait sorry just to double check somewhere in this thread someone said led is less efficient than HID?

Just wanted to update:
I LOVE the Full spectrum LED Lights I purchased. It has really been a game changer for me.
For the fact these are equivalent to a 800 watt HID but burning at half the cost of my 1000's I used to run. Huge. Also I swear since I put these up my buds are turning out tighter and waaaay frostier. Been really really impressed.
The initial investment was painful ,as these lights are not cheap but all my fears have been allayed. Now I just wish I had made the jump a few years ago, could have been saving thousands in electrical cost, and virtually zero heat problems.

There is more to the equation but the main reason light intensity at a distance, or canopy penetration, is so much better with HID has to do with the inverse square law. Intensity is inversely related to distance. One massive source of intense light reflected around creates much more scattered light and as a result is more intense at a distance then single beams of less intense non scattered light.

**not an artist View attachment 294677
I have never seen this explained so eloquently. Makes perfect sense. For me heat, energy consumption and the expenses associated with both are more important than the added bulk of lower buds at harvest. I can’t smoke what I grow fast enough to keep up with my LED grows but as I understand it, you grow to supply patients so HID lamps make sense in your case.

What light did you get?
Hyphotonlux HPF 4000

It's equivilent to an 800 watt HID but only burning 480 watts. Bought off of Amazon. If you are interested in LED's I highly recommend these. They are kinda the new kid on the block as LED companies go. I have been very happy.

Latest posts

Back