Left corporate...now I grow for a living

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKlonedRanger

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I've been here a long time, but don't tend to post much. Honestly, I've been in a funk for a few years, and have struggled to do more than what's needed to get through the day. Almost a year ago, my state went medical. While it's been amazing for the state, and for the patients in need, I've barely done anything to take part. I was still working for an oil and gas company, and just being tempted with just enough money to 'hang in one more year'.

I was in oil and gas for over 20 years. Funny how 'just one more year' turns into decades if the carrot is just far enough out of reach.

Now, my wife and I are running a family business supplying medicine to our state. We don't own a store front, and don't really know if we want to move to that step. But we're self employed, living a better life, and I can't remember a time I've been more happy.

It all started with a trip to this site so long ago. Thanks to everyone here that's so welcoming and knowledgable.

Paper work from the state is in, and we broke ground on a 30 x 30 shop that will be the first grow spot. Plan is to grow there for the next year, then move out to about 120 acres with a few 100 x 40's, a breeding room and a private sativa room. I'm tired of this state not having any long flower selections.

Congratulations KlonedRanger!!! I'm envious to say the least. I hope you become more active here if you have the time. It would be really cool to see how you grow. I think that could be a triple entendre and a pun all in one. Best of luck to you on your adventure!

Thanks THG! Stress level has gone way down. It's almost like a different life, like I unlocked easy mode on a video game. I smile a lot more, and actually have time to spend with the kids and enjoy it instead of feeling rushed all the time.

Thanks novitius! The family and I are doing some traveling in a few days, but I think I might start a grow journal once I get back. I do plan on being more active here...there's so many great growers and people here.

Congratulations farmer! Thanks for your part in providing necessary medical cannabis. Which state became " medical" Our state, Michigan, recently voted to make marijuana recreational and was finalized in Dec. 2018. Now we wait for licenses and rules to come into order. However, I understand the license fees here for a grower are way out of reach for most "Mom & Pop" type of growers. Shame really to make the license fees so exorbitant.

States that make the license fees exorbitant are just making cannabis (another) big business. It rather sickens me that this is not a business that can be a "Mom and Pop" type of business (like I feel it should be). Damn, us little people are the ones who worked to get the laws changed. Greed...greed is just the worst...

I agree with both of you. Here, it's $2500 per license. So, for commercial grower, it's $2500, and with that you get your transport license. Want to process? Another $2500. Want to open a store front? Another $2500.

We run a small shop. My wife and I do the majority of the growing, with some help from our daughter. We are just happy to finally be able to get our genetics 0ut to people that need them.

States that make the license fees exorbitant are just making cannabis (another) big business. It rather sickens me that this is not a business that can be a "Mom and Pop" type of business (like I feel it should be). ****, us little people are the ones who worked to get the laws changed. Greed...greed is just the worst...

I agree, Hemp Goddess! Here in Michigan (I just asked) it is $6000 non refundable for a growers license and up to $5000 for the municipality, depending on if they have an ordinance. Then on top of that there is X% that goes to LARA from your income for their drug prevention program.
I spoke with our local Senator, Mary Whiteford the other day on the phone and suggested to her that MI could use some of the taxes from marijuana sales to help with fixing roads, and if she could make the fees a lot lower for growers, it would open up more Mom & Pop growers, with more local availability. Competition should help control prices and it would be better to have less fees for licensing up front and have more licensee than to just have 2-3 major players in a region. They don't charge a fee like this to grow wheat or corn. Why should they make the fee so outlandish especially since there are many that grow it for medicinal values.

Hello KlonedRanger good luck to you your wife and congratulations on your venture. Hope you post your grow.

Paper work from the state is in, and we broke ground on a 30 x 30 shop that will be the first grow spot. Plan is to grow there for the next year, then move out to about 120 acres with a few 100 x 40's, a breeding room and a private sativa room. I'm tired of this state not having any long flower selections.
Congratulations on your new life!
We're working on the ground floor here in Vermont, trying to get things in line for when our state "government" finally decides to allow retail sales and figures out the tax they are going to slap on it.
I'm looking forward to seeing your posts and I would love to visit your website if you have one up and going yet.

$2500 is reasonable in comparison with fees and financial requirements to be in the cannabis industry here in Massachusetts. I looked into getting into the industry when Mass residents initially voted to make adult use legal. At the time, a license was $100,000 and there was a requirement to have $500,000 million in the bank as well as costs associated with construction of a secure facility. There are now ‘microbusiness’ licenses available that are more affordable until you delve deeper. These microbusinesses are setting people back in the neighborhood of $1,000,000. Like THG put it, Greed is the worst...

Wow, @oldfogey8, those fees are ridiculous! Here is a copy and paste from Michigan Small or micro brewery license criteria:

"License & Permit Fees – The initial and annual renewal fee for a Brewer or Micro
Brewer license is $50.00. Additional fees will vary based upon whether additional
licenses and permits are requested in conjunction with a Brewer or Micro Brewer
license. If the Brewer or Micro Brewer license applicant plans to sell its beer at retail
on its manufacturing premises in a tasting room, it must also apply for an On-Premises
Tasting Room Permit, for which the initial and annual renewal fee is $100.00."

Fees and permits should be in reason with other "type" permits and should not be exorbitant, or it would seem to me that it is discriminatory. I see many politicians touting equality for minorities and women, well, with HIGH permit prices they are certainly NOT able to target an audience that has been treated disparingly. This should be a fee in line with moving all people.... low to middle class and minorities and women to have a decent chance to participate.

EDIT: added this also for Michigan Winery and Small Winery permit information:

"License & Permit Fees – The initial and annual renewal fee for a Wine Maker license
is $100.00 and for a Small Wine Maker license the initial and annual renewal fee is
$25.00. Additional fees will vary based upon whether additional licenses and permits
are requested in conjunction with a Wine Maker or Small Wine Maker license. If the
Wine Maker or Small Wine Maker license applicant plans to sell its wine at retail on
its manufacturing premises in a tasting room, it must also apply for an On-Premises
Tasting Room Permit, for which the initial and annual renewal fee is $100.00."

See how these license fees are within reason but the Marijuana growers license is ridiculously expensive!! ?? I say it's a case for suing for discrimination.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back