leftys hydroponic grow room (Building a hydro ebb and flow system)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty

Reaction score
now to thw real deal enough rambling!!!right...........!i have a room in my basement w/14ft by 7 ft measurements approx..thereis one regular door and a glass block window on the left side 7 ft wall.i want to set up an ebb and flow system(hydroponics).i want to probably make most of it myself to b able to grow around 8-15 plants.the floor is cement(just trying to give u all details.there are shelves that stick out about 13 inches from 2 walls (one width one length.i dont no much about hydroponics but will learn in sept at school.im a new b at every thing . have raised other plants though from seeds for about 2 years now. am little familiar with some things .i no preperation and trial and verror are good tools.so are u guye i feel u can never nio all there is to no unless ur God.(which i also b lieve in (i have occasionally prayed for my plants in hail storms) HA!!!!!i cant think of any more details have about 300$$$ dollars a month t ospend on my hobby .to start i have 1200$$$$$.O.K fellas what do u think?????:p

lefty said:
now to the real deal enough rambling!!!right...........!i have a room in my basement w/14ft by 7 ft measurements approx..there is one regular door and a glass block window on the left side 7 ft wall. I want to set up an ebb and flow system(hydroponics).i want to probably make most of it myself to b able to grow around 8-15 plants. I have about $300 dollars a month to spend. To start i have $1200.

Lefty, I have to compliment you on your decision to start off with enough money and area to use for your grow room. Lot's of people want to have a big ass grow room setup and they have $100 to start with. I always feel like a butt-head to tell them how much a great hydroponic grow room costs to get going. After the initial costs, it's real inexpensive to operate, but the setup is steep.

The Ebb and Flow unit I've described in the DIY area is the result of a couple of decades of trial and error. It works as well as any I've ever designed. As far as I can tell from using it, it has no flaws left to fix.

Using either one of these 4 unit systems or more than one is the way to go for you man. If you divide your room into three sections, you can have a "Host and Cloning" room, a vegetative room and a flowering room all in one with extra space for drying set aside and storage of your curing weed.

You could use a simple wood frame and black plastic to separate the various areas. If done with class and attention, it's not very expensive to do and works very well.

Let me know if you're interested in this type of setup and I'd be glad to help you get it built and running. Your output could be as much as 24 ounces every eight weeks. That's a hell of a lot of weed man, if you can use that much then you can grow it in that room. If you need less, we can size it down to what you do need.

Let me know and we can go from there.

I've been using Hydroponics for almost 25 years and have designed more than 100 setups. On my last grow using the 4 unit system, I had a cured weight of 19 ounces of prime bud.

Good luck to you, no matter what you decide to do.

19 oz,of stoney bud ,that would be nice ,,p,l,r

rasta said:
19 oz,of stoney bud ,that would be nice ,,p,l,r
Hey Rasta! Yep, that's what this puppy puts out. That was Big Bud, so other strains would put out whatever they compare with Big Bud for yeild.

Aurora Indica is my next...

Aurora Indica is an f1 hybrid of Afghan and Northern Lights. Aurora Indica stays short and produces heavy colas. This plant has exceptional resin production and the buds are dense. Aurora produces a deep, near black hash, aroma and a heavy indica buzz. This strain is probably our most potent indica.

Plant type: Best suitable for indoor growing.
Plant height: Short- Mostly Indica
Stoned or high?: Stoned- Indica Body Buzz
THC level: Strong 15-20%
Flowering Weeks: 7/8
Yield (Sea of Green on one m2) : 300
Harvest Month: 9/10
Grow difficulty: Moderate

stoney, ithink u are getting at a little too much weed here. who in their right mind needs 24 onces of bud...............ME THATS WHO..I AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING THIS THING UNDER WAY I HAVE BEEN TAKING NOTES AND RESEARCHING FOR A WHILE. i ll b ready in about 2 weeks .(still cleaning up and out the space. ) please give me some info on how to divide up the room .also i think ur ebb and flow is flawproof so ill take ur advice. get back a.s.a.p.................thanx lefty

also if asnyone has any suggestion on grow mediums and nutrients i would appreciate it stoney maybe u can tell me.also i still need some seeds . the stuff thats going around is mexican block. i dont think i want to use it. i also could ask around im sure some of my aquiantances knows someone who could get some prime bud. i really dont want anyone to no im doing this though. (outside of u guys.) no what i mean?.....any suggestions. i really want to grow northern lights!.......get back .................lefty( i might order from nirvana seeds )

oh ya i need lighting. i think stoney will get around to that huh?

like u gave that little chart with your aurora indica do u think u could show me one w/ northern lights.thanx...lefty

Stoney Bud said:
Hey Rasta! Yep, that's what this puppy puts out. That was Big Bud, so other strains would put out whatever they compare with Big Bud for yeild.

Aurora Indica is my next...

Aurora Indica is an f1 hybrid of Afghan and Northern Lights. Aurora Indica stays short and produces heavy colas. This plant has exceptional resin production and the buds are dense. Aurora produces a deep, near black hash, aroma and a heavy indica buzz. This strain is probably our most potent indica.

Flowering Weeks: 7/8
Yield (Sea of Green on one m2) : 300
Harvest Month: 9/10
this is w/ i mean

ill check back on tuesday the 22nd

Northern Lights is highly adapted to indoor growing. Nearly all promising modern indoor strains contain NL genes. High flower to leaf ratio, compact buds, good yields and exceptional resin production are all characteristics displayed by this wonderful plant. Northern Lights is a most lucrative plant for the indoor grower. The smoke is full bodied yet somewhat neutral in flavour.
Flowering Weeks: 8/9
Yield (Sea of Green on one m2) : 500
Harvest Month: 9

Yes, I can help you with the construction and use of the 4 unit Hydro system in the DIY area. You'll need to order some of the parts unless you're lucky enough to have then available in your area.

I can also help you with the lights and nutrients that are perfect for your grow.

I can't help you with CO2 as I've never used it, and Mutt is the best person to help you with venting and filtering your room I think, if you want to do either.

Would you like to partition your room into the three areas I've mentioned? If so, you can do so very inexpensively with a little lumber and some heavy duty black plastic and Velcro tabs. You could use lumber to make actual rooms as well, but that would cost a lot more and dip into what you need for your grow.

This isn't going to be something you'll build in two days. Patience and the willingness to do it right, not quick, is the secret.

Let me know if you want to do the three room setup or only two. The difference is you would have to veg in the same room you flower in. That would make each crop last about a month longer, but would cost less as you would only need one 4 unit hydro system. With a vegging room and a flowering room, you need a 4 unit hydro system for each room, thus doubling the cost for that part of the system. You'd also need two sets of lights.

You could make a single unit for now, use seeds and do the whole thing in one area without modifying your room at all hardly. Way cheaper for the first grow and then you could expand as you wish. This is the type of grow I would suggest for your first.

Let me know.

PS: Also, I don't know if you realize it or not, but you can use the "edit" button in your own post to combine information into one post when you want to add a line or two. This keeps your post together instead of having a whole bunch of posts in a row like in this thread. Just make sure you "save" after editing.

thanx sb im going to sleep on it and think about what i want to do . i want to do the right thing u no. what do u think 1 2 or 3 rooms whats best for a begginer? thanx for all ur help oh by the way just ordered n.l 10 pk seeds from nirvana....

hey i think i want to go the elaborate route and use three rooms how should i partition them .(the room is 16 ft by 7 ft . measured it last night.getting to b fairly cleaned up and out .i was storing alot of crap. should i clean the sur faces out w/ bleach.let me know . want to take my time .time is no issue. if it takes a while so b it this set ups going to b around for a long time. if u could let me no some of the 1st things im going to need besides wood drywall im a caarpenter so walls and such are taken care of also let me know dimentions which rooms need more space ect. tnx.lefty oh ya just went and puirchased the new high times and it has articles about cloning and closet set ups last months(i also have has a good article about griw rooms) also purchased the 2nd edition of cannibus cultivation by mel thomas. (the author wrote the book in jail after having a hydro factory shut down in ingland. it says on the back the only cultivation book ull ever have to purchase(ha) hopefully it contains alot of info from what i have read about feminization male and female plants hermies and the life and times of the author it seems to cover alot of ground. thanx all .lefty

lefty said:
hey i think i want to go the elaborate route and use three rooms how should i partition them .(the room is 16 ft by 7 ft . measured it last night.getting to b fairly cleaned up and out .i was storing alot of crap. should i clean the sur faces out w/ bleach.let me know . want to take my time .time is no issue. if it takes a while so b it this set ups going to b around for a long time. if u could let me no some of the 1st things im going to need besides wood drywall im a caarpenter so walls and such are taken care of also let me know dimentions which rooms need more space ect. tnx.lefty oh ya just went and puirchased the new high times and it has articles about cloning and closet set ups last months(i also have has a good article about griw rooms) also purchased the 2nd edition of cannibus cultivation by mel thomas. (the author wrote the book in jail after having a hydro factory shut down in ingland. it says on the back the only cultivation book ull ever have to purchase(ha) hopefully it contains alot of info from what i have read about feminization male and female plants hermies and the life and times of the author it seems to cover alot of ground. thanx all .lefty
what do u all think of high times i bought it to see some things about seeds. i really dont want to use credit card to order would rather send $ order.i also get HORTICULTURE mag. its helpful about propagating seeds using clones ect...later lefty

What up lefty, I feel you on not wanting to use your CC. Have you ever seen the "I grow chronic" by mr green video. If you have not, it is an outstanding video on step by step and he purchased everything at local hardware and growhouses. Check it out.

-GG

German Gigalo said:
What up lefty, I feel you on not wanting to use your CC. Have you ever seen the "I grow chronic" by mr green video. If you have not, it is an outstanding video on step by step and he purchased everything at local hardware and growhouses. Check it out.

-GG
why buy it when u can watch it for free at pot tv;)

Hey Lefty, Since this is your first crop, you'll have lots of problems that all first timers have. It really would be best if you learned step by step while doing it.

I would strongly advise using only one room to start with.

You can learn how to germinate seeds, plant them, grow the seedlings and transplant them into your hydroponic system for vegetative growing and then switching to flowering until harvest.

This can all be done in the one room as a learning crop to familiarize you with how weed grows and the pitfalls you'll run into. After your first crop, you'll be ready to expand the operation into a three room, continuous cropping environment easily without fear of screwing up a whole lot of plants.

You'll need to ventilate the room very well. For the actual construction of the air supply and exhaust system with a odor filtering system if you need one and the routing and wiring of the electrical supply, I'd suggest using one of the best people for all of that on the group. It's a really cool guy named "Mutt" on this group. There is nothing about the building of the room that he can't help you with to make it a professional and safe grow room that has the right temperatures and air movement.

Then, after the room is built, the supply and exhaust fans working, the filtering system in place, you'll be ready to install the hydroponics and start a grow.

During all this construction, you'll have ample time to order the parts you need online and buy the rest at your local Walmart and Home Depot.

The Mr. Green Video would be an excellent film for you to watch several times. His ebb and flow unit is different from mine as you'll notice in my description. Also, the grow guide you've bought should be read cover to cover. These can be done while you build the first room and construct the hydroponic system. Great cool down information after pounding nails!

You have 16 x 7. The 4 unit hydro system will use a footprint of 6 feet by 4 minimum for the flowering and vegging rooms and the final 4 feet can be used as your Mothers and clones room. I would suggest having a seperate door for each room. That's an inside measurement not counting on wall thickness. The rooms need to be completely light tight. Not one speck of light can enter or leave them. This is important for several reasons we can discuss later.

When all three rooms are going, you'll have the Mothers room with plants in dirt or hydro. That would depend on your preference. Hydro Mommas put out serious clones. Lots of em. When the clones aren't needed, you'll have to keep the plant trimmed to prevent it from getting too large. That will be room number 3.

Room number 2 will be your future alternating vegetative/flowering room as will room 1 when both are in use.

For the first crop, room one will do for both vegging and flowering. You don't want to get ahead of your own capabilities.

I'll start a list of the parts you'll need to purchase. If you go to the DIY area and study the description of the hydro units, you'll get a real good idea of how this thing works. Then I can help you with the parts you don't understand.

Is this all cool with you, or would you prefer to go another way?

I kind of skipped back and forth in this post, adding stuff, so if it reads a little disjointed, forgive me. It's also way past my bedtime. I'm going to hit the sack now and we'll continue tomorrow.

Maybe Mutt will see this and jump in with some advice for your air and filtering system construction.

ill check out the vid if i can find it . gg. stoney ill get back to u tommarrow when i do some reading and researching to let u know what qs i have thanx all .lefty

hey stoney i think ur right .im going to go with the one room and learn all i can from that then expand after the first or 2nd harvest into 2 or 3 rooms . what do i need to get started w/ ur model ebb and flo(sorry havent read FYI yet will do tonight)kind of got hung up. but if u let me ni whats needed to get started at least i can try and pick some of the items up. my room is CLEAN.walls painted white no windows....thanx......lefty

Latest posts

Back