Legalization In US Not so great of an Idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pranicfever i have had this conversation with my friends and brought up the same facts i agree

Cultivation will be legal. Just like wine. The amount you are allowed to cultivate will be regulated, and you won't be allowed to sell it without a permit.

The legalization of marijuana will never happen, it is the purest form of medicine, whether its for the mind, pain, or depression. If marijuana was to be legalized there would be no more pain killers, there would be no need, and the drug companies would lose out BIG, all it is, is government oppresion they want their drug companies to make money, why do you think they never legalized MEDICAL marijuana?

they legalized cocaine and look what happened. and now you wanna do it to mj, straight across the board - never happen. put haze in the hands of a 16 - 18 year old new driver? or a 26 year old for that matter.

astra007 said:
they legalized cocaine and look what happened. and now you wanna do it to mj, straight across the board - never happen. put haze in the hands of a 16 - 18 year old new driver? or a 26 year old for that matter.

Uhm, since when is coke legal?
Also, you'll find most of the senior members do not agree with driving under the influence of anything. Haze or a 5th doesn't matter shouldn't be operating machinery under the influence of Prescriptions, alcohol, or marijuana IMHO.
Moot point in the legalization of MJ. IMO

heyo mutt; if ya go back to the era of 1880 - 1920, you will find that the use of opiates and cocaine was widely used by the general public.

they even sent little packages of drugs off to the men at war as little pick me ups to deal with the horrors and nursing mothers used these drugs for doldrums. malderine, i believe was 1 such percription. the idea of some1 behind the wheel is horrible; thats what im driving at if mj was made legal fer all to grow and use. mj can be dangerous to the general public just like alcohol.

astra007 said:
heyo mutt; if ya go back to the era of 1880 - 1920, you will find that the use of opiates and cocaine was widely used by the general public.

they even sent little packages of drugs off to the men at war as little pick me ups to deal with the horrors and nursing mothers used these drugs for doldrums. malderine, i believe was 1 such percription. the idea of some1 behind the wheel is horrible; thats what im driving at if mj was made legal fer all to grow and use. mj can be dangerous to the general public just like alcohol.

Yep, Laudanum was a very widely used alcoholic Opium medicine. Used from menstraul cramps to Headaches. It was even given to infants during teething. Beleive it or not, it is still able to be prescribed for diarreah and Pain. Stuff killed a lot of folk back in the 1800's. Overdoses and addicts. Lots of history with that drug.

Cocaine. ?? Cocacola?? lol wasn't it prior to caffeine being introduced in coke, wasn't its main "energetic" ingredient cocaine.?

but none of its legal now.

yup and not only coka cola, there was hot chocolate, chocolate itself and some coffee brands that added cocaine.

I'm of the mind that legalization will come after different levels of decriminalization are realized.

I'm also of the mind that if the government and or private industry wish to profit from the sale of marijuana...fine. Just as long as, like beer and wine, the home producer won't be expected to pay taxes on a thing that requires paying taxes on other items in order to produce a nice grow.

That right folks...you can brew up to 200 gallons of homemade swill in your tubs and not be expected to pay taxes. And the funny part of that legislation signed into effect back in 79'...even though a person must be 21 to drink alcohol...one must be but 18 to be a home brewer.

How

utterly

odd

up in canada; bc - there are U-BREW stores where you can make wine, beer or hard liquor. you can make wine or beer at home. but if ya get caught wiff a still for moonshine = up to 14 years inna slammer. ?????

Has any one stopped think how many industries in America would be bankrupted or at least pared to the Core if mj were legalized?

I'll start with the fabric industry 'cause hemp would be legalized too, Cotton growers and gins would have to retool.

And we all know what would happen if pollitians regulated mj..... they'd figger a way to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, by taxing the heck out of it!

tip of the ice berg - read a story once that rockerfield or whatever that oil king politician millionare name was; was instrumental in illegalizing mj because it could hurt the nylon industry which is a byproduct of petroleum.

that is very true. immigration had a part to play in it as well. Cotton was a huge part. So many politicians had money tied up in cotton and they knew Hemp would destroy that market so they made it illegal to harvest. Then they noticed immigrants liked to smoke it so they destroyed plants growing in the wild and made the prohibition in hopes to slow the illegal immigration. Our Corrupt Gov't at its best. There are some great movies and books on why it was made illegal and why it will probably stay illegal. the amount of money spent on lying to the public about it is way too much to just say oops we were wrong. And then there is the thing with having to set a lot of people free. Sorry for ramblin on, IM STONED. I get fired up when I get on this topic. We need to overgrow the Government. That may be the only way bcause they cant arrest everyone

OK how about the paper industry? Randolf Hearst had to protect his lumber investment way back when.

pranicfever said:
I'm prolly gonna get a bunch of comments like.. what are you nuts for thinking Legalization of Marijuana in the United States wouldn't be a good idea... I'm sorry but Just to up and try to get something legalized is a fight no one will ever win. What those of us in the US should be thinking more along the lines of just getting it decriminalized.

First Imagine if the government was taxing your smoke...Price Check on Isle 2 on a sac of reefer... would be the most common phrase heard at K-mart... The Prices would soar, Inflation Inflation Inflation... Let alone those that are growing it will be out of luck, because i'm sure if it was legalized growing it would still not be allowed, because of the fact that it would cut into the governments wallet.

Second off, the government is oh so good at adding things that are bad for you into products to try to get you to act a certin way, and don't tell me this isn't happening, they've been doing it for ages.

Third, Would you want them to be your dealer, do you really trust them??

Ok so your saying those are only minor facts, i'm sure I could think of many more... and so could you. If you wanna push for something at least get it decriminalized first, We should look at places Like Canada & The Netherlands.. ect ect ect.. and see how they are going about this first, then we should follow their lead.

I've actually read books by Judges and LEO's that say if we legalized pot, prices would go down and quality would go up...just like when prohibition of alcohol ended. The price of a sac would be less than half of what it is now. I dunno about you, but I trust Longs Drugs or Sav-On more than I trust some drug dealer I just met on the street.

Let's see if I can make this sound right. If MJ was legal, in all aspects.
1. I think that less would get into the hands of children. Why? Because I could have mine out in open, and I know how much I have. While hiding it, I might misplace, or forget where it is, and how would I report the theft of? I would never sell or give to minor. And most of you wouldn't. So therefore, if plants got stolen, call cops, let them find the person responsible. If children, or anyone else,then take away MJ and return to owner, and punish properly. My kids wouldn't dare steal any of my cigs. They know I know. But if I have to continue to hide my MJ, they will eventually try to sneak some.
2. Making clothing and such, would affect the other industries, but not that much. If you like the feel of cotton, then you will continue to purchase mostly cotton. They have come out with new cloth products that really shouldn't have been allowed. SPANDEX, looks horrible of fat folks. (not dissing anyone here, I am too big for it myself.)
3. Home growers should be allowed to grow enough to smoke themselves, to be able to always have some on hand. Some extra for emergencies (bad crop, or smaller than usual harvest, whatever) mabbe a little more, for company or parties and such.
4. Should be sold at health stores, mabbe like GNC or such. With the other herbs, at a reasonable price. Not to minors. No prescription needed. Taxed of course. We need more money, if the government will learn to spend it more wisely. (been working 20 some yrs. now telling me I won't receive SS. So why they still taking it from me?)
5. However, it does affect different people different ways. Me, I can't drive while smoking it, or after smoking it. My boyfriend can(but he knows I don't approve, so he doesn't very often.) It makes me so relaxed, that I can't pay enough attention to drive. I want to sleep. Or at least just chill and relax and enjoy. But I know this, and don't try to drive. There are people who know their limitations, and pay attention to it, some know the limits, but still push them, the same as driving drunk.
6. There would have to be more laws made about selling it, buying it, driving with it, driving while using it. And many others. They would have to come up with a test of some sort, to measure the amount in your system, to be able to identify when last used, and if caught driving, would be a dui,dwi,(or whatever it is in ur neck of the woods.)
7. If they are afraid that if they legalized it, that it would spread. I don't think so. Cigarettes are legal, but not everyone smokes. Alcohol is legal, but not everyone drinks. Some folks never do, some do on occassion, and then there are the ones that abuse it. Just like every thing else.
8. Unfortunely, if they legalize MJ, then why not cocaine, or meth, or any of the others? They are all mood enhancing and altering drugs. But so are cigs and alcohol. The lesser of, but still drugs.
I am a smoker and occassional drinker and occassional toker. If was legal, yes I would toke more often. Main reason, would be cheaper, and easier to find/buy. I do not do any other drugs, nothing real hardcore. I would not want them legal. And if keeping MJ illegal will keep them illegal, then so be it.
My alcohol and tobacco consumption is more harmful then my MJ. I think it should be legal. Some one stop me, now I am just rambling.
OK, ya'll can all disagree with me now. I am done.
(stepping off of soap box)

If I could add anything, it would be the experience I've had with a cousin living in the Netherlands, right outside Amsterdam. He's been around pot his entire life and hasn't even bothered trying it - sort of like how some people never pick up smoking tobacco as a habit.

In my opinion, Prohibition of Anything will never work, in any circumstance. People naturally want to go against the grain - if all drugs were legal there wouldn't be that extra attraction of illegality. The most surefire way to get someone to do something is to tell them not to do it - makes sense right?

This goes for most of the population, excepting the types that can easily turn off their brain and take orders without exercising any type of critical thinking.

Latest posts

Back