Let's help each other's Electric bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SHE CAN BE ALL OVER WHATEVER SHE WANTS IM JUST SAYIN ..NOT SURE WHERE YOUR GETTING YOUR PRICES BUT CFL'S ARE CHEAP:joint:

Check the website i added in previous post. That's a place allot mention for getting cheap bulbs. I added some more info.

THG is the one that changed my mind on them and made me realise the difference. If you do a little reading on them and HID and compare the 2 side by side then you will see the difference.

bi0phreak420 said:
Hey hopper you might wanna check out the grow journals cause CFLs work great for flowering i have used them numerous times!!!lol:holysheep:

I have grown from Seed to Flower with Floras, BiOphreak,(ask HG and others on here,,they have seen my T5 grows),and believe me,, I know that you can get decent Buds with Floras,,BUTTTT,,,HPS puts out more LUMs per watt then Floras,,so running HPS is cheaper when it comes to Lums per Watt,,, with better results and dencer Buds,,which is what ya want in the end.:hubba:
I love T5s,,but untill they can put out the same Lums as an HPS per Watt,,I will Flower with HPS. I always Vegg with T5s and CFLs down in the canopy.

bi0phreak420 said:
SHE CAN BE ALL OVER WHATEVER SHE WANTS IM JUST SAYIN ..NOT SURE WHERE YOUR GETTING YOUR PRICES BUT CFL'S ARE CHEAP:joint:

23 watt cfls(100 watt eq) 1600 lumnen $3.06 hXXp://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1582/FC23-FEIISB27K.html
400 watt hps 50,000 lumen $100 (uncludes bulb, ballast, and hood) hXXp://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=400+watt+hps&oe =utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5613548153741699833&sa=X&ei=LKNpTYm5O431gAec vZTLCg&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAg&output=nojs

SOOO.. in order to achieve equal lighting/lumens from the cfls that the single hps supplies. You would require 31 of those $3.06 bulbs. 31x3=$96 and you haven't yet bought fixtures, cords, splitters, ect.

In addition, 31 bulbs X 23 watts =713 watts of energy consumed.

My Daddy use to say it, "jumping over dollars to pick up dimes" ;)

its not a matter of opinion, its fact, cfl's simply are not as efficient.

there are a ton of ppl out there using CFL to save money on power bills and in fact spending more.

there are reasons to choose cfl but if its to cut the power bill your wasting your time.

I really want to use these and I was wondering how much of a watt I would need for the growing cycle, and then the flowering cycle.

I am going to grow hydroponically inside.
Any tips appreciated!

Doxie said:
I really want to use these and I was wondering how much of a watt I would need for the growing cycle, and then the flowering cycle.

Any tips appreciated!

you need a "minimum" of 3k lumen per sq ft for vegging and 5k lumens p/sq. ft. "minimum" for flowering... Watts are relatively irrelevant :p

I didn't read everything so far but did anyone mention the fact that electricity costs sometimes half as much during non peak hours(night time). In my city it drops by 6c kwh after 10pm and then jumps back to normal at 5:59am, 17c kwh. So my light turn on at 10:05pm actually since I found out about this, the ac, dryer, dishwasher all hi powered appliances aren't used during the day especially the dryer.
Btw Hps/cfl.... no comparison. We've all seen decent grows using cfls but just imagine if those poor souls used an hid for flowering.

Doxie said:

Any tips appreciated!

Why? Why would you "really want to use these" when they cost about twice as much in electricity as HPS (every single month)?

KingKahuuna said:
This is something that effects all of us, and I think together we can come up with a lot of great ideas to help lower the electric bill for each of us. And what you might think sounds silly, and a waste of time sometimes isn't.
I would have never thought to turn off the drying cycle on the dishwasher ya know, so let's hear the brains working this one for all our sakes.
Here's one:
1. Got a dog in your home ? then turn off the porch lights, anything wrong will get the dog to barking.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I run no lights or anything else in my house I even take cold showers. no dishwasher no washer dryer nothing, cept a little tv and the computer.
I just started growing and Im terrified of my first bill. I wil let you know when I get it.

When you get your power bill, just remember what it costs to buy the stuff. this makes the power bill way more palatable.

Has anyone thought about using or tried the new solar grow tubes from I'm a Spammer. Its an indoor skylight solar grow tube designed just for growing plants. No electricity use and no worry about heat. Yum....more Spam Brand new just on the market. Sweet!

no live links solartube---what's the difference in the tube design for light and the one for growing indoors

I don't know if this is addressed here or another thread. Operate your mn and hps on with 220v or multivoltage ballasts instead of 120v saves a bunch of $$$$. Easy to run wiring then need heavier duty 220v timers too. Should be easy to find on ebay or other sources.

dirt and more said:
I don't know if this is addressed here or another thread. Operate your mn and hps on with 220v or multivoltage ballasts instead of 120v saves a bunch of $$$$. Easy to run wiring then need heavier duty 220v timers too. Should be easy to find on ebay or other sources.

Because killowatt hours are cheaper at 220 than 110???

nouvellechef said:
Because killowatt hours are cheaper at 220 than 110???

:laugh: they are them same here. :laugh:

Duh REALLY??? I know the reason. Maybe I thought the point of this thread was to help each other save $$$. 220v vs 110v saves 1/2 usage of kilowatts. Might help somebody stay a little safer too

I dint see the need in running 220, my 60in plasma is 425w lol

Latest posts

Back