Let's make hot sauce!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Reaction score
I know a bunch of y'all love some fire in your food! And grow veggies. And get creative. So let's share some of our favorite recipes for hot sauce!

I'll start with what I made last night to fight off a head cold. Did you know that pound for pound, red chilies have more vitamin c than oranges? In fact, ascorbic acid was first isolated from Hungarian paprika peppers... and earned a goulash-loving chemist a Nobel prize!
We're gonna travel to equatorial West Africa for this one. It's a thick , savory, spicy paste that goes with just about everything. It's called sh*to, yes that is an i in there, I fear the Politeness Bot. : )
Start by getting your onion paste cooking, because it takes a while:
2 large onions, peeled, chopped, and run through a blender with the minimum water needed to blend
1/2 cup red palm oil
1 heaping tsp each ginger and black pepper
At least 1/4c Korean chili powder (Korean chili is the highest quality I've ever found, no seeds or ribs, all flavor, good balance if heat). If you like it really hot, use a full cup, and add a couple minced scotch bonnets, but watch out for the frying fumes, its like getting maced!
Put all this in a heavy saucepan and start cooking down. Use low-medium heat and stir frequently.
When it's reduced by half, add a can of tomato paste, a tin of boneless smoked herrings, minced , 2 heaping tablespoons shrimp powder (I had to skip it due to my best friend being deathly allergic, but this is an essential part of the flavor profile. Lobster boullion paste also works, or a small amount of red miso paste at the very last step- gotta get that umami from somewhere!), 3 maggi cubes, 1 tbsp soy sauce, a pinch of smashed aniseed or fennel if you don't have any, and a teaspoon each rosemary and thyme.
Whisk this all together and watch it like a hawk. You're going to slowly cook it down until the oil breaks out, the color darkens, and the solids hold together like bread dough. This takes some time. If it sticks, add more palm oil. It's okay, you'll see what all the extra oil is for later.
When it's a mahogany color, add a pinch of sugar (up to a half teaspoon, doesn't need much), taste for salt ( should be VERY salty), then stir in another couple tablespoons chili. Why? Because the chili flavor changes during cooking, and having both uncooked and slow cooked chili in there broadens the profile.
Pack into jars and make sure there's an unbroken, thick layer of oil on top. You need this to prevent spoilage. If there's not enough, add some now. Never double dip into the jar. Take out what you need with a clean spoon, then re- melt the oil if you have to before putting it back in the fridge. It also freezes well.

Attachments

• 20190916_182247.jpg
    20190916_182247.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190916_181555.jpg
    20190916_181555.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190916_182202.jpg
    20190916_182202.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190916_185422.jpg
    20190916_185422.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190916_201716.jpg
    20190916_201716.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190916_204917.jpg
    20190916_204917.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190916_205835.jpg
    20190916_205835.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190917_081857.jpg
    20190917_081857.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Does Queso count in the salsa group ?-- 1 lb Velveeta- 1 can of chopped tomatoes with chilies ( Rotel tomatoes) -- Chop the cheese into 1 inch cubes or so - dump the can of rotel tomatoes in a microwaveable dish add cheese and heat until all hot , melty and delicious -- Make anything U dip into it taste better !- I guess U could add some of that hot salsa like Stinky makes to it make it hotter if U like ?-- but I like melted rotel and Velveeta and Frito Scoops myself !

Well that is fire for sure...Thanks for sharing your recipe SA...in the South, mustard greens with peppers are a staple in the winter. They provide lots of C..1 cup serving has 39 milligrams or 65% of daily requirements. Throw in chili peppers and kick it even more..I am a seasonal eater and starting to crave cooler weather items...even though its still Hell Hot as my buddy Keef says lol.

Hollowpoint - I'm pretty sure U know bout this !
Clear pepper sauce !-- Stuff a jar with hot peppers and cover them with vinegar - Let dat **** set a few months -- Little dash on some mustard greens or beans will kick it right up !--Do not use Scotch Bonnet peppers- they too hot to eat --but Bonnet Sauce works great in a water gun for self defense !
U get some in your eyes it will make U find Jesus !- On the spot !-- Oh Lawd !- Please make it quit burning!!

I love mustard greens made into kimchi, way more fun than the Savoy cabbage only kind! If I make some I'll post it, this is the right time of year for it! Do hot condiments that aren't sauce count?
Keef your hot sauce chemical weapons hybrid sounds awesome to keep deer away from the hostas lol!

Kimchi ?- I spent a year in Korea in the army -- Never could get drunk enough or high enough to get Kimchi past my lips !-- I can't be around that smell anymore !- Make me sick !

Ahhhhhh so I see you encountered Soju. My buddy calls it jungle hooch. My old boss used to start drinking games with it at the company Christmas party, and they never ended well for attendance at work the next couple days as we were all still trying to work out where we put our keys/dignity/shoes/stomach contents

Ahhhhhh so I see you encountered Soju. My buddy calls it jungle hooch. My old boss used to start drinking games with it at the company Christmas party, and they never ended well for attendance at work the next couple days as we were all still trying to work out where we put our keys/dignity/shoes/stomach contents

I was stationed in Kadena AB Japan on Okinawa. We would TDY to Korea a lot and always brought back as much Soju as we could. We had a group of about a dozen people who TDY'd in an out of Korea so we always had Jungle Hooch parties. We would get a 120 Qt cooler and make it in there. Mix it with fruit juice and the Party was on. This was the 80's and Japan was super strict on MJ. Funny thing was Magic Mushrooms grew everywhere and we would have Soju Shroom parties. Good times.

I can only imagine... I've brewed the rice wine it's distilled from, easier than falling off a barstool, seriously an elderly Vietnamese lady at the market explained it to me like this when she noticed I was buying glutinous rice and Chinese rice yeast balls:
You cook it, 2 cups rice.
You crush it up, 2 balls.
You mix it rice and balls.
You cover with towel, put it warm place. (I left it in the oven with the pilot on).
You wait two weeks.
You strain water. You put in bottle, loose cap, 2 weeks (I left it on the attic stairs in mason jars).
I also put a pinch of sugar in the jars to feed the yeast some more. What came out was incredibly strong and truly undrinkable, but made a fantastic marinade to tenderize chicken. 3/5, might make again, if I ever build a still.

There was another one too ?- Jinro or something like that - That was in the early 70s so forgive my memory !-- 2nd Inf Div 2nd M.P. Co. !--- Stationed up in the mountains near them blue buildings where political name and Kim met on the DMZ !-- No problem finding weed in those days !-- As a military policeman I found quite a bit under the back seat of my jeep !-- Never busted anyone for holding but I accepted donations -- One my buddies got busted by the Korean police with 7 kilos -- I negotiated a deal and we gave them $250 and loaded half the weed into my MP jeep and they dropped all
charges !--

There was another one too ?- Jinro or something like that - That was in the early 70s so forgive my memory !-- 2nd Inf Div 2nd M.P. Co. !--- Stationed up in the mountains near them blue buildings where political name and Kim met on the DMZ !-- No problem finding weed in those days !-- As a military policeman I found quite a bit under the back seat of my jeep !-- Never busted anyone for holding -- One my cook buddies got busted by the Korean police with 7 kilos -- I negotiated a deal and we gave them $250 and we loaded half the weed into my MP jeep and they dropped all
charges !--

I like a little heat on certain foods ,,,but not to hot …...I like franks hot sauce ,,never made my own

When I'm in a hurry or lazy, 1 Tablespoon or 15 g of an Asian chili garlic sauce made by Huy Fong Foods per 18 oz or 800g can of Pork and Beans is a camping or backyard grilling side dish.

If I make my own, Chilis, onion, garlic and vinegar are the spices.
Cool the chop and cook the chilis and onion with a minimum of oil. Before the translucent stage I add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant. I don't salt my own foods. Using prepared ingredients were more than enough salt. Salt to your palate.

Latest posts

Back