lets talk fans (cfm)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exhaust fan type/cfm

• In-line fans

• Squirrel cages

• Computer fans

• Box fans

• Screw it, I just open the door!

Results are only viewable after voting.

ROOR

Pot Nerd
Reaction score
1. Room/cabinet size
2. Light wattage
3. Fan type and cfm
4. Set-up adequate, optimal or In need of adjusting.

I found this from a bathroom forum:

To calculate exhaust cfm: L x W x D (room) / 60 (minutes per hour) x 8 (recommended number of air changes = cfm needed

I went with the computer fans soley because of my current set up.

1.) 70x30x24 setup
2.) Not sure on wattage, but I know its more than 20,000 lumens, I'm running 3 side mounted floro shop lights and 2 quad CFL combo's.
3.) (4) 4 1/2 inch computer fans (2 intake and 2 exhaust) rated at 70 cfm and while being supplemented by (2) "mini" 5 inch circulation fans.
4.) I am very pleased with the performance of the fans for this set up. Obviously my choice would be different if I had a larger set up.

Exhaust[2].JPG
Intake%20%26%20Circulation%20Fans[1].JPG

-GG

1.) 45x38x45
2.) 600 Watt HPS (aircooled reflector)
3.) 2 inline fans. one 8 inch 500 cfm sucking the exhaust through the reflector and pushing it out a DIY carbon filter. and one 6 inch 250 cfm blowing fresh air in.
4.) worked great...kept temps at about 78-80 until about a week ago when i added the scrubber on the exhaust. now its lets the temps hit 90 so im thinking about getting another 8 inch. got them from the home deopt and just so everyone knows....spend the extra couple bucks for the 8 inch.....double the cfm and much much quietier then the 6 inch.

24x8 area... 8" inline... 774cfm 1000w hps

Here is a question. Are you guys using the inline duct fans that they sell for like 30 bucks at home depot or are you using something that say vortex puts out? If so what is the difference. It doesn't seem like the CFM is that far off for each size but that the more expensive that much better?

ohhh no.. these are not induction fans... and yes, there is a HUGE difference in the cfm.

i have 4 - 1000w inline in glass sheilds with an outside draw and an 8" vortec exhaust with 6" ducting in 1 room. i have a 12,000 btu A/C in the other with a 4" hurricane exhaust when needed. and a 6" vortec on my can - carbon filter. you can get a 8" vortec here in canada for 200.00 wholesale or 300.00 retail or more. it pays to shop around. i also have 16" desktop fans and 20" box fans in the rooms fer air circulation thru the plants.

Nope, the induction ones are like 29.99 or something like that. NOT worth the money imho.

Latest posts

Back