Let's Talk Plasma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

Nug Lover
Reaction score
Doing a little research on plasma lights and I'm thinking I wanna give one a try, but with the price tag on them things I'm curious as to what results and opinions are floating around on the subject as it'll be a few months before I can afford one.

here's and interesting bit; hxxp://www.plasma-i.com/pi-new/sulphur-plasma-light.html
A New way of Measuring is Needed
We can not claim higher luminous efficiency than a sodium lamp or higher PAR (Photo synthetically Active Radiation) than a metal halide or sodium lamp because when we measure our plasma lamp in lumens or micro moles it nearly always measures at least 30% less than other HID lamps of the same wattage. We will claim a higher PUR (Photo synthetically Useful Radiation) value because we believe the plasma lamps that we manufacture are the only lamps that are truly a full and continuous spectrum and thus, completely unlike LED's, deliver all of the light that is useful for photosynthesis.
Conventional methods of measuring light for humans use lumens, deemed useless for horticulture, horticulturists measure light in micro moles (µmoles). Working with British, German and Dutch horticulturists and researchers I have learnt that micro mole measurements are the best indicator we have at this time. The results from real world tests indicate that a plasma lamp, that measures 30% micro moles 'less' than a High Power Sodium Lamp of same wattage, produces at least 30% more biomass, and can fully grow cucumbers to European standards 10 days sooner. After eating them myself I can confidently write that in my opinion cucumbers grown in continuous full spectrum light with a low PAR value, compared to HPS, have better aroma, flavour and colour. My hunch is that the nutritional value will be far higher also, especially as thinking it will be the same is disregarding the principles of logic!

what i don't get is if they measure the light same as they measure other lights, sounds like there disapointed with what the plasma is measureing not that they need a new way to measure it .
JMO

Well actually lumen readings in a that agricultural end means absolutely nothing lumens is just a reading of what humans can see so plasma is not claiming that the lumens is better Again for a plant lumens is useless
But plasma will claim higher par (Photo synthetically Useful Radiation) value because we believe the plasma lamps that we manufacture are the only lamps that are truly a full and continuous spectrum and thus, completely unlike LED's, deliver all of the light that is useful for photosynthesis.
The benefits of plasma are color temps stay constant , the closest to natural light coloration ( SUN ) the bulb has 50,000 life hrs and most importantly its the most efficient out of all grow lights including LED 0 heat
i will be starting up a journal in fall with 10 Gavita pro 1000 watters 1220 watts real input power driver efficiency 95 - 96 percent also with 5 LEP pro plasma in between and 16 400 watt MH which i will run two of them in between the plasma so pretty close to 20,000 watt lights alone grow room not including misc fans exhaust misc

Latest posts

Back