Light bulbs always come broken..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a 1000w MH bulb from various sources and every time the bulb comes broken, even though the packaging is great.

IMG_20140513_161918.jpg

Anyone have a similar problem?

NO. I often get a 4pack of T5 fluoro tubes with a broken bulb. I really have not had that problem with HIDs. What a bummer. They do replace them free don't they or the shipper cover the damage?

Ever seen Ace Ventura? "Sounds broken?" "Most likely..."

Is it not possible to get one local? or just huge difference in price?

I'm trying to buy a 1000w MH bulb from various sources and every time the bulb comes broken, even though the packaging is great.

IMG_20140513_161918.jpg

I've never had a problem with bulbs showing up broken either. Coming from various sources all broke seems very odd. What specific bulb do you need? I have a local store here where I am at that ships. I have ordered of their website because sometimes cheaper than in store. If need to PM me and I can help you out.
I've also ordered from Amazon and never had problems. I order from a specific vendor there also.
Good luck.

Thanks guys.

No, I live abroad these days (which makes certain aspects of my life a bit harder - though, I assure you it is worth it), so I can't find it nearby.

All 5 bulbs have arrived broken (possibly in the same place). What do I do?

Downgrade to a 600w ballast and buy 600w bulbs from one of the 5 Hydro store in your metropolitan area.

LOLWUT?

These are my options:

Option A (250$):
- 1000w Digital Dimable Ballast
- 1000w bulb (62.5% more lumens)
- Bulb might get damaged in transit

Option B (300$):
- 600w Analog Ballast
- 600w bulb (62.5% less lumens)
- Bulb always comes in good condition

And your advice is to take Option A instead of the far more logical route of figuring out why these bulbs arrive broken?

Downgrade to a 600w ballast and buy 600w bulbs from one of the 5 Hydro store in your metropolitan area.

600s from thousands is an upgrade not a downgrade :) just use twice as many 600s as you would 1000s and you have a lot bigger footprint, less heat and more lumen output. 3k watts of 1000s is less light than 3k watts of 600s due to the fact that 600s put out more lumens per watt than 1000s.

Even though the 600W costs more than the 1000W, if you cannot get bulbs, it is no good to you. Five broken bulbs in a row sucks, but I think you may have to face the fact that while you can buy the ballast there cheaper, you cannot get a bulb delivered unbroken.

I do not believe that it is safe to run a 600W in a 1000W ballast, even with it turned down. Fire is always a danger with higher wattage things. I wouldn't increase the danger by using a bulb not meant for the ballast you are using.

I have not found that 2 600W put out less heat than a 1000W, but they do put out more lumens.

have you checked ebay ?
i bought a apollo 400w hps dimmable ballast bulb and cooltube for around $120
the 600w i got for less then $160 usd same package
ive had no problems with either one both delivered with no broken parts
ive ran the 400w for the longest but for 3 months had the 600w going 23/1
since it is not recommended to run a hid for 24/0
they have a 3 year warranty i believe

IMG_20140513_161918.jpg

is the outside of the bulb still intact ?
and its just the inside insulator that is broke ?

That looks more like a manufacturing issue rather than shipping caused break. I would try one more time to get them from another source. As I said, if you want, I will be happy to get some for you and ship them to you myself. That way I can verify that they are undamaged before sending them out to you. I have never once had a damaged HID bulb in shipping. However, in the mean time, you may have to do something else while waiting for them to get to you :)

This is something from my local grow store. ...

What a concept! Increase your grow light coverage and transform your 1000W HPS magnetic ballast to burn TWO 600W Sun Pulse digital lamps.

Obviously each bulb will probably burn at about 500W, but when you use this SunPulse Splitter you eliminate the cost of upgrading to a digital or electronic ballast, plus with the addition of one HID reflector and bulbs, you now have 2 complete HID light systems running from your existing ballast.

One 1000W HPS magnetic ballast uses less electricity than two 600W digital ballasts.

A 1000W HPS magnetic ballast may put out less heat than two 600W digital ballasts, reducing heat reduction costs.

When you set up a SunPulse Splitter, you can run both HID light systems side-by-side, or in entirely seperate rooms.

Take a look at 600W Sun Pulse bulbs.

This splitter ONLY works with 600W Sun Pulse digital lamps.

That looks more like a manufacturing issue rather than shipping caused break. I would try one more time to get them from another source. As I said, if you want, I will be happy to get some for you and ship them to you myself. That way I can verify that they are undamaged before sending them out to you. I have never once had a damaged HID bulb in shipping. However, in the mean time, you may have to do something else while waiting for them to get to you :)

What, really? You'd do that?

The funny thing is, neither me nor my girlfriend have anyone back home in the states who can ship it to us. Her parents moved back to Turkey and my parents moved back to Israel.

This is something from my local grow store. ...

What a concept! Increase your grow light coverage and transform your 1000W HPS magnetic ballast to burn TWO 600W Sun Pulse digital lamps.

Obviously each bulb will probably burn at about 500W, but when you use this SunPulse Splitter you eliminate the cost of upgrading to a digital or electronic ballast, plus with the addition of one HID reflector and bulbs, you now have 2 complete HID light systems running from your existing ballast.

One 1000W HPS magnetic ballast uses less electricity than two 600W digital ballasts.

A 1000W HPS magnetic ballast may put out less heat than two 600W digital ballasts, reducing heat reduction costs.

When you set up a SunPulse Splitter, you can run both HID light systems side-by-side, or in entirely seperate rooms.

Take a look at 600W Sun Pulse bulbs.

This splitter ONLY works with 600W Sun Pulse digital lamps.

What are you referring to, exactly? Could you provide a link?

I checked out this splitter a long time ago. The ballast splitter sounds good, but check out the cost of the bulbs....over $100 each. And you HAVE to use Sun Pulse bulbs which may very well not be available where you are--you cannot just use any 600W bulb with this. In addition, some of the features are just hype--a 1000W split of course uses less electricity than 2 600W, but it also provides less light. I also question whether 1 1000W magnetic ballast puts off less heat than 2 600W digis--IME this is not true. The only real advantage I see is if you have a long narrow space that does not work well with 1 light or you have 2 separate smaller spaces that you want to light with one ballast. You would also be in another for the cost of another hood.

Here is a link to the splitter: http://sunpulselamps.com/Splitter.html

[emoji106]
Just figured I would add my 2 cents Thank you for saving me the work by adding the info and link

Do me a favor with these so called splitters, with Sun Pulse and Solis Tek. Try to find actual specs on how it's affecting the lamps and see if the splitters are licensed and approved with listings like an ANSI code.

HID lamps were not meant to be split so I would stay away from them for many reasons. HID lamps always need to at least start at 100% power to stabilize the arc tube for safe operation, usually give them 15-20 minutes. Then after the initial start up you can dim them if you wish but never keep your lamps in a dimmed mode for long term.

These added features like dimming, splitting, etc seem like conveniences for the public but only damage the lamps and ballasts in the long run.

Light, earlier on this thread, the OP was wanting if he could use a 600W in a 1000W ballast dimmed to 50%. I know that light manufacturers do not recommend it. I was thinking that maybe they needed to fire at 1000W (100% power) and then dim. Thanks for answering that.

Sorry if I went off-topic. But yes stabilizing the arc tube is extremely important for the spectral output that the lamp can do. Especially if your running full spectrum lamps never run them differently than the manufacture intended. The higher end brands will publicly list their spec sheets on what they recommend in dimming and etc.

Sorry if I went off-topic. But yes stabilizing the arc tube is extremely important for the spectral output that the lamp can do. Especially if your running full spectrum lamps never run them differently than the manufacture intended. The higher end brands will publicly list their spec sheets on what they recommend in dimming and etc.

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that I should let my bulb start out at 100% and then dim it manually, instead of starting it out already dimmed?

In that case, are you confirming that at 50%, the bulb NEVER gets anything above 50%, even for a second?

Latest posts

Back