Light burn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genuine

Reaction score
one of my plants came into contact witha light and got slightly burned in some places. its nothing too bad but there are little burn marks on some leaves. im just wondering, do i need to clip off those dead spots or the leaves themselves? initially the burns did not seem so bad but now after 6 or so hours they are just ugly rusty looking spots and im just concernedd that those spots might be bad to keep around? i know its from contact cause it happened due to my careless while checking ph. i lifted the lid with the plants still on and the light was resting on the plant for too long. so anyways its nothing bad just ugly and idk if having dead spots my contaminate the the resst of the leaf kinda like cancer cells corrupting surroudning cells.

If you corrected your problem, I'd say let them stay.
I've read that a leaf can still help if it's more then 50% green, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with letting those leaves hanging on, and the burn won't spread ;)

alright sweet. if anything the leaves are burned like 2% max so i guess all is well. looking it though is like looking at a beautiful girl with some acne... over time it will just seem a natural part of plant.

I recently read about "photoshynthesis compensation point"
The article was basically talkin about ht epoint where plants are remaining alove rather than growing or dying off. If any area of the plant is damaged, leaf, branch or whatever, once it is drawing more energy from the plant than it is providing, it needs to be removed.
The article was general botanical stuff but obviously this is a common sense approach and can be applied to our favourite greenery.
W

WoodyPheonix said:
I recently read about "photoshynthesis compensation point"
The article was basically talkin about ht epoint where plants are remaining alove rather than growing or dying off. If any area of the plant is damaged, leaf, branch or whatever, once it is drawing more energy from the plant than it is providing, it needs to be removed.
The article was general botanical stuff but obviously this is a common sense approach and can be applied to our favourite greenery.
W

Yes I believe yu are correct on that. :) If the leaves are damaged to a point that they are not growing (typically more than 50% of the leaf) then it will rob some energy from the plant and should be removed. The most important thing here is if the new young leaf growth was damaged enough to stunt the growth of the plant. If it was the bigger leaves, they can be pruned without harm to the plant, but if the new growth on the meristem is damaged, it may prevent further upward growth. The solution for that would be to go back to the next lower node and carefully clip out the meristem, and allow the young side branches there to become the new twin meristem. :)

Latest posts

Back