Light hours indoors before going out to avoid flower early

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfting07

Don't panic it's Organic!
Reaction score
I have several clones indoors. Under t5 for 18/6. Any recommendations on changing light hours before going outdoors to avoid flowering and reveg?

We are getting 14/10 currently. 12/12 starts Oct 1. Trying to veg as long as possible but running out of room indoors.

They're small I know 👶

Attachments

• 20220801_140713.jpg
    20220801_140713.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I have several clones indoors. Under t5 for 18/6. Any recommendations on changing light hours before going outdoors to avoid flowering and reveg?

We are getting 14/10 currently. 12/12 starts Oct 1. Trying to veg as long as possible but running out of room indoors.

They're small I know 👶
I would think if you start moving your light time down not all at once but to adjust to the 14/10 outside this time of year, you should be ok. I did this early in the year before the days were long and did not fool Mother Nature. My outdoor plants are all in bloom/reveg mode. I don’t think it would have happened tho if I would have waited till the days were longer.

gradually match outdoor hours

you have lots of time if you are putting them out in Oct

also , start setting it outdoors so it will get used to Mother Nature

Yes definitely do it gradually. I know for a fact that they will most likely start to flower if you dont. The sudden change in light schedule due to what's going on outside makes them think its time to flower.

I vegged a couple of mothers under 24 hour light 'til I felt sorry for them and put 'em out in the pot pen. They got nuts. Wound up being a little over six feet tall and six foot wide. They vegged for a while, but then started forming buds. By the beginning of October, they had some BIG buds on 'em. When the trics were right, they got hacked. Great smoke.
I'm in Michigan, and Lord knows our growing season isn't all that long, especially when you're growing sativas.

Yeah, i had a C99 under HOT5s at 24/0. She was about 14" tall when i set her outside. Within 3 weeks she was starting to flower. Ended up about 3ft tall with buds everywhere. Now one thing that did happen was about 2 wks after she started to flower she slowed down and i think she was confused so i started covering her up a few hours before sundown and then uncovering her a few hours later after the sun went down, Made sure she was on a 12/12 schedule. Then she really pumped up. Plus she was never covered long very long per day. Just a few hours before sunset gave her the 12 hours she needed.

Last edited:
I vegged a couple of mothers under 24 hour light 'til I felt sorry for them and put 'em out in the pot pen. They got nuts. Wound up being a little over six feet tall and six foot wide. They vegged for a while, but then started forming buds. By the beginning of October, they had some BIG buds on 'em. When the trics were right, they got hacked. Great smoke.
I'm in Michigan, and Lord knows our growing season isn't all that long, especially when you're growing sativas.
Happy accidents are good accidents

Every response is spot on.
I had baby clones that had to try and adapt from 24 hours of light (commercial) to my humble garden out of doors.
I had more than just that one challenge to figure out...well, several things went wack-a-doodle and I lost one that was going terribly wrong.

I think this forum is fantastic at giving experienced knowledge. Both sides of a grow are useful when shared. The beautifully successful and the grim realities that can be avoided are written in these digital pages.

My good friend of large and beautiful creations was beside himself in a deep echoing laughter as I explained the story to him of the trials of Lucy and Ethel and their friend that was returned to the earth.

I wish you could hear his rich Islander accent telling me all his feelings and trying to help me do better.
That evening was such a wonderful gathering of like minds, friendship, and helping, even if quite a bit of fun was had at some of my more foolish blunders.

"Oh no, LOLOLOL, Oh, bro. LOLOLOLOLOLO...wait...You planted a butterfly garden for your Mrs.? LOLOLOL Oh man,..." He gave me this big old bear hug, back smack, laughed some more then sat back and pulled out some flowers.

This was my time to be quiet and learn. His calmness and friendly manor was infectious and his wisdom was given freely.

Appreciate all the responses! what would your recommendation be? How would you go about it yourself? Cut it an hour shorter every couple days?

Last edited:
I would change it to 16/8 for a week,, then 14/10 for a week, and then outside and hope for the best,,,,,,,,or just wait until you are almost ready to flower and set them outside and let them do their thing.

I could explain my method but it had to involve forces unseen and a wee bit of moon spells and songs, some shade contraptions, crystals, and a whole bunch of anxiety provoking bewilderment leading to answers born of places the light inhabits within the dark.

In other words, I had a bit of dumb luck figuring this new thing out. I think my crazy things worked but it was a bit much.

I am trying an auto-flower specimen from seed as a trial run.

Trial and error are the ultimate teachers, but listen to guides and stars and Angels if it must be.

This plant deserves our utmost care and she alone will teach you.

"To be a good gardener, one must listen to the plants and understand their means of communication. I was also told this; To excel at the art of growing true, one must be willing to set fire to money"

OP I believe you will be able to adjust and adapt your plants just fine. I just have that feeling.

Grow well.

An update for you guys.

Just transplanted to there final home after some pretty aggressive LST. They were taking nutes at 1500PPM before the transplant. Foxfarm liquids and happy frog/ Espoma organic potting soild mix. Extra Earthworm castings and a handful of Dr. Earth Home Grown dry fertilizer. Running the t5 as supplemental lighting a few hours before the sun comes up to keep them in veg.

Will just give them filtered well water til flower.

Attachments

• Polish_20220807_223839795.jpg
    Polish_20220807_223839795.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Polish_20220807_224614348.jpg
    Polish_20220807_224614348.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back