Light question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcentralorganic

organic medical grower
Reaction score
So my buddy and I had a conversation earlier about who is getting the most out of their lights in the areas we have to work with. We are both running 1000 watt digital ballasts and identical 1000 watt hps hortilux bulbs. He has 4 lights in a 12'x13' area and I have 3 lights in a 10'x10' area? I was doing it by figuring out watts per sq ft. He says it does not matter the size of the room, it matters about canopy size. I was just wondering others opinions. Thanks

I go by my grow room size.

Grow room size..canopy realky onky matters when you are running 1k hps they need to be raised as not to burn or bleach ans dissociate heat...so he is wrong.

Room size. The thing is that the light disburses throughout the room, so even if you have good canopy coverage, you are not getting the entire benefit of the light. Three in a 100 sq ft space is pushing it, but you have far better coverage than he does. There IS a reason that we do not simply stick the lights in a room too large for them.

Canopy meaning light 'Foot Print' the area the light would cover if at the correct height for growing weed, in most cases a 1000w HPS at the best lumen of 64171 at 10 inches above the leaf tips, 6ftx4ft= 2672 lux per sqft ...see enclosed chart

View attachment HPS dist chart.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up for me folks, I thought I was correct but am not the type to say so unless I am sure.

Latest posts

Back