Light Recomendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2small

Reaction score
I have come to reolize if I want good bud I'm going to have to invest in a good light. However, I am confused as to what to buy. I plan to grow in a space that is mabye 5' tall. Can someone recomend a light and mabye any good websites for lights? I am willing to spend mabye $200-300.

Also, a friend and I are going to install a fan for ventilation in the ceiling. How many cubic feet per second should the strength be?

Any and all help will be appriciated.

i would definately go at least a 400wt hps bulb if not a 1000wt

How big of a space are you going to do? 50 watts per sq. ft. is a good rule of thumb. I use a couple of 440 cfm inlines to vent my lights and the room.

I want to grow mabye 4-6 plants of good bud in mabye 5 gallon buckets each. I think that is about 3x4ft space. I have about 5 feet tall of space. Will a 400 or 1000wt buld fit with plants under it? I guess I'll find out.

Also, where can one find 440cfm fans? Are they silent or loud?

Also, would a 1000wt produce better bud than a 400wt?

a 1000 would do that space pretty well, a tad under the 50 watt rule but not bad, for that amount of space a 1000 will do much better than a 400, it will be faster and produce more dense flowers. A 1000 watt will have a remote ballast so you will only need room for the hood to hang and not be too close to anything combustible, they get pretty hot.

These guys have pretty good prices for quality stuff, if you have a grow shop close to you go talk to them about prices also.

http://www.hydroponics.net/i/248041

The fan is not too loud, no louder than a box fan but will move some serious air, once you have the vent tubing hooked up it quiets it down some too.

3X4=12 sq ft
12X50watts=600
or
12sq.ft divided by 1000 watts=80+W.p/sq.ft
"IMHO">>without a cool tube, a 1000 is gonna be tuff to vent in that small area.

My bad, math is not my strongest subject!! Plenty of light. You will definitely need to pull a lot of air through there for sure, one of these 440s will take off a lot of heat though.

So if I have the light close to the ceiling and a strong fan going, will that be good enough to cool the light and not start a fire.

Do you have a ventable hood for the light? That will make the biggest difference, actualy sucking air through the fixture to cool it down. It's hard to say, you could always look at keeping the light lower and doing some LST (low stress training) with the girls to keep them shorter. No fires is a big plus!

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/212 <--- here is the light that I think I may get. It looks like I could hook a duct and exhaust fan right up to the reflector hood. Does this light look like you are talking about? And is that good or bad to do? I never thought of putting the exhaust in the light like that, but if that would keep it nice and cool I could and would do it.

Also, when I order this light should I get any different bulbs? I think I read to use one for vegatative and a halide for flowering. Does this matter?

That is exactly what I'm talking about, that will make a huge difference in drawing heat out and moving air into the room. As far as the light goes, some people prefer to use metal halide (MH) for veg. and high pressure sodium (HPS) for flower, I, and a lot of others have found it to not make enough of a difference to deal with it as they are seperate units unless you purchase a more expensive ballast and extra bulbs or pricey conversion bulbs. I would just stay with the HPS.
I live in the general area of the shop you are looking at, the guy that owns the lace is a stand-up dude and he always beats prices around here, he may do the same on his page.

Since your limited on vertical space, I wouldn't go with the 5 gallon buckets there just to tall and more soil then your going to need in that space. I'd go with:

2 Gallon Pots filled with soiless mix (ie 2 part peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite and 1/4 cup fine dolimite lime.)

600w HPS (Ebay has some good deals on 600's esspecially the bulbs.)

A 465CFM or so exhaust fan. You really don't want to skimp on your exhaust system. Its the difference between excellent buds and bud thats overly fluffy and just not up to its potential potency wise. Your also going to need a way for fresh air to get to your space.

Use GH nutrients and follow the instructions on the bottle.

If you want a simple nute use GH's floranova, it's simple, one part, ph stabalized, cost effective, good for the beginner, very concentrated though, be careful. It's organically based so it's not fully organic but not all chem. either.

Get a used 600 watt HPS, spring for a full-spectrum EYE bulb, put in intake and exhaust ventilation for heat control and fresh air, and an oscilatting fan for stem strength and air distribution.

Bingo, and vent the light, especially because you are close to the ceiling.

Progrow--Why do you recomend that mixture? Is that to get stronger roots in a verticle smaller space?

Also, are there any good sites for GH nutrients?

And, is there any perticular strain that grows in smaller vertical spaces? Or should I just pick what I want from a seed bank.

Latest posts

Back