Light schedule

Discussion in 'Beginners Growing Forum' started by dierichmotorsports, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Jan 24, 2020 #1

dierichmotorsports

dierichmotorsports

dierichmotorsports

Disabled vet
    Hhh

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    hollowpoint and thegloman like this.
  2. Jan 25, 2020 #2

thegloman

thegloman

thegloman

I think I am....therefore, I am......I think

If you have no concern about saving electricity, vegging plants don't Need a dark period. I'm not so sure there is a marked difference in growth but its worth a try.

hollowpoint likes this.
  3. Jan 25, 2020 #3

Keef

Keef

Keef

I've ran both and saw no real difference - Especially not enough to justify running the lights an extra 6 hours a day !
    When I revegg the base of a plant that I just harvested which I do sometimes- I'll switch to 24 /7 light for a couple weeks !

hollowpoint and thegloman like this.
  4. Jan 25, 2020 #4

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have grown both ways and I prefer 18/6 for veg. In nature, plants need a dark time or rest time so we are trying to copy that outdoors. Plants will grow 24 hours, but why if not done in nature?

burnin1, hollowpoint and thegloman like this.
  5. Jan 25, 2020 #5

hollowpoint

hollowpoint

hollowpoint

Poor Old Dirt Farmer!

I agree with Ms Rose...I use 18/6 in Veg...helps with heat in the summer and I try to produce an all natural product.

burnin1 and Rosebud like this.
  6. Jan 25, 2020 #6

Lesso

Lesso

Lesso

Mad Scientist

24 hr camp....i get fast explosive vegetation. I tend to flower 2 weeks earlier than i used to.

Rosebud likes this.
  7. Jan 25, 2020 #7

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

I too am in the 24 hr camp. I find that I have lush plants with less stretch with a 24/7 light schedule. I have, occasionally run my lights 18/6 because of summer heat and always see more stretch. Though sometimes I laugh at this as outdoors in the summer, my plants are exposed to temps over 100 with some frequency and they make it through that just fine. I'd say it is kind of a matter of personal preference.

2RedEyes and Lesso like this.
  8. Jan 26, 2020 #8

wheelie

wheelie

wheelie

Bussiness owner
    18/6 here. Lights turn off at 7am till 1pm which are peek hydro hours on weekdays where we pay more money. Flowering on 12/12 my daytime is my plants night time. (7pm till 7am lights turn on) Again because hydro is cheapest at night. Three different hydro rates here on weekdays in my province. CHEERS!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. Jan 26, 2020 #9

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

There are studies that show that the plants can’t actually use all the light they are giving and after a certain point they block off the uptake of more carbon atoms. By giving them less hours and keeping the lights slightly closer you optimize the light. So if you keep it on 24/7 you’d need to keep them higher. There is also the 6/2 light schedule which works fine. Also keep in mind that a lot of growing takes place in the dark, including roots. People say stretch...I say growth.

10. Jan 27, 2020 #10

mentholiscold

mentholiscold

mentholiscold

20/4. Always what I've done. I'd not heard of 18/6 light schedule until a few years back. I'd always used a 20/4 or 24/0 lighting schedule. A lot of folks I know use a 18/6 schedule and swear by it. Prob not much different than 20/4, but I'm still leary about leaving them under 24hrs of light. Unless it's a seedling.

11. Jan 27, 2020 #11

notthecops

notthecops

notthecops

I agree 100%, you must be on Ontario Hydro also lol.

Plants need a rest period, yes they will grow with 24/7 but how would you feel staying awake that long? Tired and stressed out. Less stress on the plant, and time to recover leads to better overall results.

Caw likes this.
  12. Jan 27, 2020 #12

Lesso

Lesso

Lesso

Mad Scientist

Not a direct analogy. Humans are animals...plants dont require rest in this way. They have evolved under a day night cycle, but that doesnt mean that this is the optimal way to grow them. We are not trying to replicate nature here, we are trying to optimize the plant to its fullest potential....then set it on fire. If we wanted natural conditions, we could let deer come and graze in our tent once in a while, or release a swarm of locust, etc. Natural conditions would be horrible in our little gardens. Checkout a few side by side experiments to see if 24 hrs schedule has more actual produced biomass over time. Plenty of info out there. Plus i have grown both ways....24hrs is what i have found to get a bigger plant in the least amount of time.

The Hemp Goddess and stinkyattic like this.
  13. Jan 27, 2020 #13

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

More intense light closer with rest periods produces bigger plants over less intense light with no rest period in my experience after doing it both ways . And I say at the end of the day, other than deer and locust, we are trying to mimic nature as closely as possible in our gardens.

14. Jan 27, 2020 #14

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

Sorry, but no, we are not trying to mimic outdoors. We are trying to optimize our grow space to force our plants to grow as large and fruitful as they can--inside lighting cannot compete with the sun. If we were mimicking nature, we would be changing to flowering by lowering the lights a minute or 2 a day every few days, we would have wind, not just ventilation and sometimes our grow space would be over 100 degrees or below 50 and it would take 6 months to finish a plant.

15. Jan 27, 2020 #15

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer Staff Member Admin Moderator

I get no stretch but i have good LED's. You just described my grow THG. lol I finish in 4 months. And it gets to the 60s at night in there with the window open. I try to mimic my outdoors as it rocks.

16. Jan 27, 2020 #16

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

Japanfreak

We are 100% trying to mimic what plants have evolved to utilize and the closer we can do that the better the end product. And I do mimic wind with fans, plants love it, the micro fractures make the stalks bigger and better to hold up the fat nugs. To suggest that since we induce flowering therefor everything else goes out the window doesn't make sense to me. If anybody is interested in research, there are tons out there which show that cannabis does benefit from dark periods. But if you are not one for research just ask yourself how your plants look when lights first come on compared to the end of the day. if you are observant you should see more vigor in the morning.

Rosebud likes this.