Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx7gtr07

Reaction score
As i was walking through home depot today ( I was looking for a light for my grow box) I was looking for a good CFL.. When my friend pointed out to me the light next to the CFL's called a Agro Light. It is specifically designed for growing plants indoors. Has anyone heard of these? anyways... It is 120Watts.. is this good enough for 1 plant? Will this get very hot as well? The light is in one of those clamp on lights that are for outside use (8.5" diameter) and I have it suspended about 2 inches away from the plant right now (the plant is only about 1 1/2 inches tall now). Is this light the right one to use? And once I finish my new grow box ( a big cabinet that is hollowed out and is about 3 1/2 feet tall), I want to have the light inside of the grow box so that there isnt any light leaks because i can seal the box very well. With this being said, the light inside would mean that I am going to have to 2 fans (computer fans will work i am guessing?) One at the bottom of the box bringing in fresh air. and one at the top (above the light) so that the hot air will rise and get out of the box. how does this all sound?

rx7gtr07 said:
Agro Light. It is specifically designed for growing plants indoors. Has anyone heard of these? anyways... It is 120Watts.. is this good enough for 1 plant? Will this get very hot as well? The light is in one of those clamp on lights that are for outside use
There are a bunch of "Agro" lights on the market. If you look on the box the light comes in, it will tell you who makes the light.

Tell us exactly what light you're talking about and we'll be able to answer you correctly. Is the 120 Watts a comparison wattage or actual wattage? Does the light have an enclosed ballast?

It is made by Phillips. It says 120 Watts on the front of the box. By an enclosed ballast Im not sure as to what that exactly is... But I am guess you are talking about the little metal thing that the light bulb screws into that is reflective and shines all the light right onto the plant. But it is not enclosed in an actual casing.. just screwed in.

rx7gtr07 said:
It is made by Phillips. It says 120 Watts on the front of the box. By an enclosed ballast Im not sure as to what that exactly is... But I am guess you are talking about the little metal thing that the light bulb screws into that is reflective and shines all the light right onto the plant. But it is not enclosed in an actual casing.. just screwed in.
I searched the net for a Phillips 120Watt Agro-Lite and didn't find one.

Does the package refer to "Lumens"?

By the way, I found a very nice lighting page while I was looking that has some good information on it.

Here

the light is very bright.. But how can I use the light close to the plants without burning the hell out of them? the light is hot. And I think i may have burned one of the seedlings :*(

Hi rx7gtr07

I may be able to help with your little problem.
If you would care to take a look at a thread I posted in this section (growroom setup and design)
you will see what I had to do to over-come the same problem.
I am running a 250W HPS which gets hotter than the sun, and in the end, I cunningly added my own double-glazing!! It took a bit of work, a bit of money, but now I can confidently run the system fully entombed (except for air INLET and OUTLET), in mid-summer, and keep heat down to 30-32*c!!

Hope this helps... and, good luck amigo

:rolleyes: The Skinmaster :rolleyes:

would you be kind enough to send me the specs that you used and what is your grow box made of? what about odor control?

there is no such thing as an rx-7 gtr.....

dont use the agro light i have them and they are garbage they make the plant strech and you cant put them close it will burnem

my cool white floros work great in my box...just two 2' 2 bulb floros

but my box isnt going to be long or wide.. Just enough for 1 plant. It is a cabinet. So i will really only be able to use those little spirally lights. Are going to burn my plants when they are close? or am i good to go as close as 2"? Also in my box are they going to turn the box very warm even with the fans?

Hi rx7gtr07

would you be kind enough to send me the specs that you used and what is your grow box made of? what about odor control?

I'd love to give you a spec sheet - but even I didn't know the specs. It was made-to-measure, unfortunately for me if / when I move!!!
What I can advise though, is if you are experiencing overheating within a small setup, then it may pay-out for you to have a little re-think about your design.
My chamber is basically two boxes - one within the other.
The one inside happens to have a glass bottom, if you like. This provides your self-contained unit for lighting. Mine has two sheets of glass, 4mm thick and seperated by a gap of 10mm (has to hold back a 250W in 9sqr ft space!!!!)
This is where the clever positioning of the fans comes in.

:rolleyes: The Skinmaster :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back