lighting dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totalnoobie15

Reaction score
ok here is the deal i am starting my own grow box out of plywood. it will have 1 exhaust fan it will be approximately 49'' depth 36 width and 7ft high. i am thinking about growing 4 plants and i was wondering what the smallest sized light i would need so it wouldnt show up on the electricity bill. i would like to use fluoro lights but i have heard that they dont produce enough light can u help? i have everything figured out except the lighting. all advice is welcome!!!! oh and by the way as my name states i am a noob so dont be too rough on me:D

i use a 430 watt HPS Son-Agro.. it runs me at about $8-$10 a month during flowering and $16-$20 a month during veg, right now due to lack of clones that becon is on 2 sexy plants.. but it could cover 6-8 plants and be fine.. for 4 plants you could prolly pull it with a 250watt but it may be a bit skimpy
just my noobish opinion tho.. wait for a senior to clean up after me

Any light is going to run up your electric bill! :D

I use a 175w Metal Halide SunBurst Grow Light. Seems to be working well for me, the equivalent of electric usage would be like leaving 3 60w bulbs on all the time. Whole setup with exhaust fan costed around 110.00, but i did try CFL's with the same intent on trying to 'save'. I quickly found out that in this hobby, cuttin-corners and trying to save will only result in wasted money. If you really want to cut down on ur electricity usage, buy a generator! :D

I am a n00b myself, and after many mistakes along the way, i have learned many lessons. Stick to what these guys say and you see good results. Anyways, hope i was helpful to some extent.

Greeny

you can grow 4-5 plants with a 250W HPS using a Sea of Green Method (SOG). HPS has more lumens per watt than Metal Halide. but HPS is really designed for flower. MH is designed for veg. But both will carry a grow all the way through just fine.
As far as Elec. Consumption. Nothing is gonna show up that will flag anyone. Esp. at the 250W mark. but would help is to go to wal-mart and swap out the regular incadescent bulbs with some cheap compact spiral florous at wal-mart. they consume less wattage than an incadescent and produce more light and last longer. So its a win win doing that. It will help offset the amount of juice your using with the 250W.
But I totally agree with Greenfire. Spend the extra bucks. A 250W is just fine for personal growers that don't smoke any more than 2 ounces a month. but if you smoke more step up to the 400W. IMHO

man i wish i grew the equivalent of 2 ounces a month :'(

Use this formula: 6000 lumens per sq/ft.
That's approx. 50 watts HPS per sq/ft.

You space is approx. 12 sq/ft, so an ideal light would be a 600 watt HPS.
That will add roughly $20--$25 per month to your elec. bill,
You'll also need intake and exhaust fans to cool the space AND bring in fresh air.

Using a standard sog grow, that's enough space for 6--8 plants.

Hey Total NOOB...Mutt and Hick are of course right on with their answers, so your definitely headed in the right direction...IMHO I would forget about anything smaller than a 400w MH or HPS, If your going to veg and flower in one box and not have a perpetual grow system you could also get a dual ballast light which provides the ability to switch from MH for veg and HPS for flower. If you have the funds this is the way to go. Also IMHO for a box that size you are going to need more than one fan, most likely flow thru ventilation will cure any heat problems. As far as electricity goes, I run a 400watt MH 24 hrs a day, and a 400 watt HPS 12 hrs a day, with 7 total fans (exhaust, intake, etc) of which 2 are high powered. My electric bill is only about $40 more per month than it was previously which isnt much to have your own herb. The cost of the setup is where you will pay the most so dont worry much about the elec bill, unless of course you are trying to hide it from you parents which is a horrible idea seeing as they could go to jail if God forbid you got busted. If you live on your own and are just worried about the elec company catching dont worry you would need a huge setup for that to happen. Anyhow I hope I answered some of your questions...Peace Out and GG

definitely a 400,the duel ballast is a good idea,ive got one that i used to use a mh in to veg then flip the switch,change the bulb to a hps for my budding.
IMO a 250 hps isn't worth the effort,get a 400 hps if funds are an issue,you can veg and bud under it with excellent results-and use a grow lux fluoro to raise your seeds or clones.

stevo said:
IMO a 250 hps isn't worth the effort,get a 400 hps if funds are an issue,you can veg and bud under it with excellent results-and use a grow lux fluoro to raise your seeds or clones.

I partially agree with you. but with a 250W I grow at least a qp every two months. but do have a florou mom/clone area as well. I did have a 400W but due to heat and area. the 250W actually did the job better. I think the size lamp is dictated by the area you have to work with.
So for me a 250W was worth it over the 400W I had. Less hassle and keeps me with my own stash. ;)

Mutt-i should have said "for me" a 250 hps isnt worth the effort.i totally agree that a 250 will get the job done in a smaller space and not produce the heat a 400hps bulb does,and for growing enough for personal use a 250 will work.

stevo said:
Mutt-i should have said "for me" a 250 hps isnt worth the effort.i totally agree that a 250 will get the job done in a smaller space and not produce the heat a 400hps bulb does,and for growing enough for personal use a 250 will work.

I second this notion, I was only basing my opinion on what I have read and not actually experienced. I use two 400 watt lights and they work really, really well. I used advice I got here on MP to base my initial decision which was; If I could afford 400 watts and what extra expenses that brought (flow thru vents, more fans, etc.) then I should get 400 watts. I am only growing 4 plants at most under each light separately in about 8 sq ft per room. IMHO the light saturation from what I see is great. Mutt I know you grow some quality herbals and you are one of my mentors on this site. If you are growing with 250 watts and say it works for you then I know and trust it works. Just wanted to clear that up:cool: Plus I am blazed right know on was on some super mental trip:D . Peace Out and Bless!

I use a 175w MH and am seeing good results. A few slow parts here and there, but it was my fault, i used the wrong soil and nutes and everything was off. I use my MH in a 4x4 area with the top of the plants 1.5 ft from the bottom of the light. I have a high-volume/high-velocity fan cirucalting air in the room. The room itself is not 4x4, just my growing area. I have another oscillating fan set on low blowing over the tops of the plant to keep them cool. The overall room temp is 83F.

I am getting a 400w HPS for flowering, but the MH seems to do great for veg! I guess it all depends on your needs and wants!

Greeny

greenfire,in my experience the hps is what you want for budding,it will be alot faster than a mh,i used to use mh to veg and hps for budding,but i only use hps lights now ive got a bigger grow space than i started with, for both veg and budding,and growlux flouros for my clones

for that size space and number of plants I would suggest a 350 watt high pressure sodium buddy. about as much energy as a computer -- not going to look odd on any bill (at least I keep my computer on 24/7 as do my 3 other room-mates) Don't sweat it - even with a 450 watt you're probably alright

stevo said:
greenfire,in my experience the hps is what you want for budding,it will be alot faster than a mh,i used to use mh to veg and hps for budding,but i only use hps lights now ive got a bigger grow space than i started with, for both veg and budding,and growlux flouros for my clones

I plan on getting an hps when flowering comes closer, the MH is just for veg. This is my first setup so i had to do some research and since MH is best for vegging, thats what i got!

Taking baby-steps....

*mutters "Baby Steps!" repeatedly to himself and walks away!*

:D

Greeny

ok so i am thinking about 4 plants and i was wondering if i should go with a 175 hd or a 250 hd?

Latest posts

Back