Lighting Q practical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeStar21

Reaction score
Hey I am growing in a small 2' deep x 4' wide x 8' tall. I am using a 400 watt HPS. Would it increase yield If I bought a 1000 watt instead. It seems like they get enough light already would this extra light be wasted or what?

SmokeStar21 said:
Hey I am growing in a small 2' deep x 4' wide x 8' tall. I am using a 400 watt HPS. Would it increase yield If I bought a 1000 watt instead. It seems like they get enough light already would this extra light be wasted or what?
If you put another 400 HPS in, and spaced them so that they provided equal light to the entire area, it would probably help max out your plants. A 400 HPS is best used about 18 inches from the tips of the plants if you don't use cooling tubes. If you measure out from the bulb to the furthest branch tip from the bulb, you'll see why another light will help. It will bring more branch tips within the 18 inch best distance limit and increase the transpiration as a result. Keep in mind that the more light the plant uses, the more of everything else it will also be able to use. You have to adjust your watering schedule to adapt to the plants needs with the increased transpiration.

Those of you that don't fully understand what "Transpiration" is, you need to do a Google on the word and read up on it. The transpiration level of a plant is what determines everything the plant does. How you can increase that level is what you need to understand as well as what increasing it will cause.

Here's a trick to use with Google,Type:

Define:Transpiration

with no spaces, in the google search block and hit enter. This will give you more than you will probably read.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back