Lighting Q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninfan77

Reaction score
Is it possible to have too much light for a grow area? Im thinking of going with a smaller area, 5x5x4 and wanted to get a bigger light for when i can move to a larger space. Would a 600w be too big for this? I'm hoping to put down 10-20 plants in this area?

Possible? Do i need more light? I know 20-50 per sq/ft. But what about per plant?

More light is better.. up to 6000-7000 lumens per square foot or so. Although more overall lumens means more reflecting off of walls all over your plants as well. Heat is typically what restrains lighting... the 20-50 is watts per foot of HID lighting.

In a 5 X 5 foot room I find a 1000 watt HPS is perfect, but like stated above you must make sure the room is well ventilated and the temp's within range.

TGT

is it 4' high. If so, you'll have a problem. As the more wattage of the light the high it has to go. @ 4 foot you may need a cool tube.

opps, I didn't see the 4 feet restriction. Ya, a smaller light would probably be better in your case.

TGT

Latest posts

Back