lighting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungle

kind bud
Reaction score
I'm sarting a scrog grow. Haven't done it before. So I been reading about it, and would like some confirmation as to whether i'm on track or not?

I have a 9 x 9 room 8 or 9 foot cielings.

I'm considering a 4 x 4 square area with a 4 x 4 ft square screen. With 2 gallon grow bags. I can get 3 gallon if it make a difference. So I'm going to put 16 plants under the 4 x 4 screen. Each plant occupying 1 square foot.

At present the light will be above the scrog, but the scrog area (4 x 4 area)sets inside a 9 x 9 ft room. So at present time light will penetrate to the outer walls and not just inclosed in a 4 x 4 room. Would a 600 watt light work in this room with this plan as it sits above the 4 x 4 ft area. I'd rather use it than the 1000 wat light to save energy but if the 1000 wat light needs to be used thats what it's for. Thanks.

My 600 wat hps is 95,000 lumens and the 1000 wat is 110,000 lumens.

also will this method produce more bud compared to a sea of green grow? With the sea of green grow There may be more plants per square foot but they are smaller. I'm choosing the scrog because they said it would produce more bud.....Am I on track? I think i am?

This is a soil grow.

jungle said:
I'm sarting a scrog grow. Haven't done it before. So I been reading about it, and would like some confirmation as to whether i'm on track or not?

I have a 9 x 9 room 8 or 9 foot cielings.

I'm considering a 4 x 4 square area with a 4 x 4 ft square screen. With 2 gallon grow bags. I can get 3 gallon if it make a difference. So I'm going to put 16 plants under the 4 x 4 screen. Each plant occupying 1 square foot.

At present the light will be above the scrog, but the scrog area (4 x 4 area)sets inside a 9 x 9 ft room. So at present time light will penetrate to the outer walls and not just inclosed in a 4 x 4 room. Would a 600 watt light work in this room with this plan as it sits above the 4 x 4 ft area. I'd rather use it than the 1000 wat light to save energy but if the 1000 wat light needs to be used thats what it's for. Thanks.

My 600 wat hps is 95,000 lumens and the 1000 wat is 110,000 lumens.

also will this method produce more bud compared to a sea of green grow? With the sea of green grow There may be more plants per square foot but they are smaller. I'm choosing the scrog because they said it would produce more bud.....Am I on track? I think i am?

95,000 lumens divided by 16 square feet is 5,937.5 lumens per square foot so you are over the 5,000 minimum for good bud growth. But the 1,000 watt at 110,000 lumens gives you 6,875 lumens, roughly an extra 1,000 lumens per square foot. I'm surprised your 1,000 watt only puts out 110,000 lumens. I thought 1,000 HPS lights put out 145,000 lumens????

As far as the scrog sitting in the middle of the room I wouldn't sweat it. Your grow screen is going to be dense and flat. If you have wings on your reflector that you can adjust (like my cooltubes do), you can keep it set so that light is not passing over the canopy towards the walls, the angle of light out of the reflector hits the edge of the canopy and not beyond. I have wanted to try a vertical scrog ever since I got my two 600HPS cooltubes but have yet to try it. Either that or a scrog where the screen below is bowl shaped. That way the screen below is the same distance from the light at all points.

Concerning this method producing more bud than SOG I can not say. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Good luck with your scrog!!!!!!!!!!!!

-SSF-

the 1000 wat light is a metal Halide conversion lamp. My bad. I have a hps bulb in the light it self but need to change it this time or next. Its been used for teo grows already. It sounds like I can use the 600 wat light. It's air colled so that can be a plus. Ok it looks like things will work out with the 600 bulb. I think I'll try the 2 gallon bags and upgrade to 3 the next grow. Maybe some one can chime me in on it. Or I'll get the answer from searching for it. Ok thank you sounds like it's going to be good with the 600 watt one, and that the set up will work ok. Tk u

jungle....you're mixing methods and confusing me...:p
16 plants in a 4x4 area IS a SOG grow (1 sq/ft/p/plant) a SCROG will not accommodate 1 plant per sq. ft. 4 plants per screen "maximum" SCROG...IMO...

:yeahthat: Way too many plants for a scrog! That is a sog.

Go with the bigger bags and do way less plants. Good luck.

I c lol.......wouldn't want to confuse anyone.

anyways i went back to where I was reading and i see where my problem lies....when it says one plant per square feet..I don't know what a sqare feet looks like....I thought there were 16 square feet in a 4 x 4 area so I thought I could put 16 plants in there. I did think the space seemed to small for a 12 by 12 inch area....so let me figure out what a square foot is and how many fit in a 4 x 4 area....but it sounds like hick your saying i can have about 4 plants in this 4 x 4 area underneath the screen....each plant would then use a 24" x 24" area and theres 4..... 24" x 24" in a 4 x 4 area.

from what I read this SCROG method is supose to produce more bud than SOG or single cola growing? Thats why I want to do it. I've done a cola grow before. A sog doesn't seem that much different than a cola grow only more smaller plants and the trimming is a little different. sog they seem to trim lower branches later after it's been flowering. ..and the cola grow the plants veg longer.....But these four plants under this screen in the SCROG method is what they are saying will produce more bud in the long run more so than the other two methods. ? So if there was a contest which method would produce the most it's the scrog? If theres only going to be four plants in this 4 x 4 area. I'll look around and see what most people use for there pots in a scrog grow.....I may still do a sog or cola....but I want to do the one that gives the most production...

I really don't think that different growing methods result in that different of yields. IMO, the main reason to run a scrog is low wattage lights that don't penetrate very far and/or limited head room.

IMO/.. it's "six of one, and a half dozen of the other"..:p OR.. the yield is going to be "minimally" effected, "IF" your canopy is full, and ideal conditions are met.
You still only have a "limited" anount of light, AND space to utilize it in.
SOG will usually be faster, because you need less veg time. BUT, with that, comes higher plant count, which some ppl don't care to deal with.

:ciao: good stuff....smokeing :bong1: and takeing notes

I would also recommend making some kind of reflective panels that you can put around your 4 x 4 space. You are going to loose a lot of light if it is allowed to disburse throughout the entire room.

What everyones saying makes sense. Part of my problem is I need to come to a place where i can have the same set up for each consecative grow. Atleast for awhile.
Each grow I've grown was never in the same grow room or place.So I've never had the same consistant grow room to work with. Every grows been different...I have a lot of experience looking at a place and seeing how it's possible to grow there? So I'm just stumbling upon new things again. I have a frame i can put together and put a reflective wall around the grow area.
Another thing is i can expand the area to 4 x 6...giving me six plants instead of four. Scince theres room for only six plants, i'm thinking 2 ounces at the most, that be 12 oz's...per grow, I'd have to add my other light. .I think I could stick 16 cola plants in a 4 by 6 area and come up with a lb. Cause they wont have any side branches wasting space. I might just go with the cola grow or sog or i could combine 1 or 2 or 3 of these methods at the same time by minipulating the lights. Thanks for fumbling around on this with me, I think theres light at the end of the tunnel.

Latest posts

Back