lighting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
what effect would turning off the lights for 4 hours, have on plants that have been vegging under 24/7 lights? had a power outage today.

:yeahthat: But you don't want to do that a lot or you will begin to get stretch.

theoretically,if you leave the lights on 24/7 you will have shorter node spacing(which is a good thing)

some of my opinions are controversial to say the least, but they are rooted in true science and years of growing experience. So with that in mind, the photoperiod is more than just how much time the lights are on. It is one of the plants environmental triggers that affects phenol type expressions. The plant does this through the release/non release of plant hormones, very much like animals. All 3 species of cannabis, sativa, indica, and ruderalis, grow in different environments. Most genetics available are hybrids of these 3 species to some degree. By using a veg photoperiod of 24/7, the plant will naturally want to express more ruderalis traits. It does this because this is how ruderalis occurs in nature. If using a photoperiod of 18/6, this would be the natural photoperiod for indicas. And for sativas a photoperiod of 13/11 is much more what nature would produce. So imo, by using the appropriate photoperiod, you can bring out more traits that you are looking for.

Very interesting umbra, what do you do with all the hybrids?

Hi Rose,

You can grow them the way you want them to be, ie sativa dominant hybrid that you want to bring out more sativa like qualities, veg 13/11 and flower at 11/13. This would be what an equatorial sativa would see in nature. By doing this, you could bring out more subtle aspects of the sativa, including the quality of the high, terpen development, thc/cbd ratio, ect.

some of my opinions are controversial to say the least, but they are rooted in true science and years of growing experience. So with that in mind, the photoperiod is more than just how much time the lights are on. It is one of the plants environmental triggers that affects phenol type expressions. The plant does this through the release/non release of plant hormones, very much like animals. All 3 species of cannabis, sativa, indica, and ruderalis, grow in different environments. Most genetics available are hybrids of these 3 species to some degree. By using a veg photoperiod of 24/7, the plant will naturally want to express more ruderalis traits. It does this because this is how ruderalis occurs in nature. If using a photoperiod of 18/6, this would be the natural photoperiod for indicas. And for sativas a photoperiod of 13/11 is much more what nature would produce. So imo, by using the appropriate photoperiod, you can bring out more traits that you are looking for.

This is not controversial at all, it's pure logic. Like explained in the next post, your supporting the plants natural inherent genetic wants, if you will. Why people refuse to think like their plants I will never know. Great post Umbra

thanks lifespan. there are a number of breeders who believe the same thing and I guess I've been hanging with them too long, lol.

thanks lifespan. there are a number of breeders who believe the same thing and I guess I've been hanging with them too long, lol.

It's that type of thinking that has you still in the game this long

Latest posts

Back