lighting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithjose

Reaction score
Hey guys...New to forum..Great job..I've got a random question regarding wattage..let me explain scenario.couple years ago I purchased a small grow kit for my closet 2x4 small six plant dwc with 150 watt hps, I grew couple small successfull harvest..I have recently purchased a 4x4 tent 600w hps/mh intake exaust complete package...sometime within the near future I plan on investing in another tent same size..one for veg one for flower but am hard up on funds for time being..until then I would like to start up and growing again..would like to do a perpetual harvest..my question to you guys is could I use the 150 w hope for a small clone / 2 plant veg..then my 600w hops for flowering or is they to big difference on wattage? As far as plant size and yield go which phase is the most wattage more important veg or flower? Can I utilize both our am I better off waiting till I can purchase another 600 watt?..thanks for all in put

Use what you got.

3000 lumen/sqft for veg and 5000+ for flower.
The amount of light makes a big difference.

You may want to go with more light in you flower tent at a later time.
I run two 600's in a 4x4 tent and many run 1000 watters

Like pc said, 600 watts of HPS will barely cut it in a 4x4 Flower tent. I tried one run like that and was disappointed. I then added a 400W HPS and everything got much better.

you can use the 2x4 closet to veg and the 4x4 tent to flower. you don't need, a 4x4 veg area if you intend to flower a 4x4. 2x4 veg area for a 4x4 flower area is typical . if you have no way of adding light to the 4x4, i suggest that you add some reflective surface like a plywood sheet on the side shrink it to 3x4 and make it white not to have light spilled sideways. you are almost completely set up i would say, you would need a few more gadgets when your funds are there, but it sounds good with your current gear :aok:

While 600W is on the far side of what a 600w will cover, a 600w will give you 5000 lumens per sq ft. You can add light down the line when you can.

An HPS is really not the best thing to veg with--you want a light more in the blue spectrum, the 6500K range. So, while it is okay to go from a small wattage bulb in veg to a larger one in flowering (it is lumens per sq ft that matters, not the wattage of the light), it would be far better to have a Mh or T5s fluoro tubes in the blue spectrum.

Thanks a lot..you all have been more than helpful..Good to know I can work with what I currently have as well as what I can do to upgrade...I would like to do a perpetual harvest..what number plants..or schedule would all you guys that have been there and done that recommend? 2,4 plants, take clones one a month..every two weeks? Based on your experience with my setup what would be most ideal....thanks again everybody for your input!!!

you can take clones as you begin flowering, by the end of flowering those clones should be ready to clone from, so you do that and put them into flower and so on

First of all, you need to be flexible. Perpetual harvests are hard to make run perfect, so don't stress when it doesn't. You will kind of have to decide how often you want to be able to harvest and then set your schedule up from there. But there are always things that can trip you up--seeds that do not germ, clones that do not root, vegging plants that get too large, flowering plants that took longer than expected.

Try and get another light for vegging, if at all possible. HPS will work, but will cause undo stretching and less vegetative growth than a MH or a T5 with 6500K bulbs.

you said you have a 600 watt mh/hps fixture right? veg with the 600 MH then flower under 600 HPS all you have to change is the bulb an is plenty to get you started, i used this setup for a while an had very good results...BtL

Hey, i'm new to the site but wondering if someone can answer this question. We are starting a major indoor operation and wondering how big of a diesel generator will we need to run 1000 watt metal halide lights? Is there some chart or table that will tell me how many KW for say around 100 of these lights.

Thanks

An HPS is really not the best thing to veg with--you want a light more in the blue spectrum, the 6500K range. So, while it is okay to go from a small wattage bulb in veg to a larger one in flowering (it is lumens per sq ft that matters, not the wattage of the light), it would be far better to have a Mh or T5s fluoro tubes in the blue spectrum.

Blowin--good idea. This first grow, you could veg with your 600W MH and when ready put them into flowering with the HPS. In the 6-8 weeks that it takes them to veg, invest in a T5 for the 2 x 4 tent. I have a 4 bulb 4' fixture that does well. Or you could go with a 6 bulb fixture and have a bit more light. You want something like this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Commercial-Fixture-Choice/dp/B00HDZWKW6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430228841&sr=8-3&keywords=4%27+t5+fixture[/ame] with the 6500K tubes

Latest posts

Back