lighting question____

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHOA White spectrum? White light is not used in any way your only going to waste electricity, use up a space for another bulb, cause heat that isnt beneficial since its just heat but the plants are ignoring the light.

Use any bulbs that on the spectrum scale displayed are very high in ther blue range over 5,000K, for flowering use any bulbs in the reddish less than 3,000K

The table above even states not to use the white ranges its just not needed.

Other than that your good with T5 you do have to keep them a little further away than CFL and only use maybe one tube until they really get their fans out, then slowly use more bulbs to compensate for the growth you must sustain.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't understand the tubes you are getting--you want blue spectrum for veg and red spectrum for flowering. You need ventilation regardless of heat. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on.

I am curious why you even asked the question, since it appears you were "convinced" from get-go....

Where did I say I wasn't going to vent. All I said is that it wasn't an issue. Don't look into things so much. I'm convinced that I can grow adequate bud this way. Does this mean I can't throw my idea up here seeing as I have no experience to see. I mean if you guys were saying that this setup would be sooooo detrimental, so catastrophic, biblical proportion f my s up then id know right. But you didn't. It can be done, and be done well and I'm sure we've all seen evidence of this somewhere in our token careers.

Now, would the said setup be ok. I know which spectrum for which period. One t5 8bulb fuxture. Or should I go with a diff setup.

-Dc

AlkaloidContent said:
WHOA White spectrum? White light is not used in any way your only going to waste electricity, use up a space for another bulb, cause heat that isnt beneficial since its just heat but the plants are ignoring the light.

Use any bulbs that on the spectrum scale displayed are very high in ther blue range over 5,000K, for flowering use any bulbs in the reddish less than 3,000K

The table above even states not to use the white ranges its just not needed.

Other than that your good with T5 you do have to keep them a little further away than CFL and only use maybe one tube until they really get their fans out, then slowly use more bulbs to compensate for the growth you must sustain.

Good deal man. I didn't mean actual white light. I realized that's exactly what I said but I'm not too sure what it was I was trying to get across. Thanks.

dman1234 said:
i would flower with HPS and veg with the T5's

Budget is an issue unfortunately. If you have any suggestions as to where to get a good priced hps throw it my way friendo. If not I could be done though with the right bulbs and distance correct. T5 I'm referring to

Well whats a good price?

you can get a 400 for 100 bucks or a 600 for 200 bucks roughly.

T5's will veg great, flower, IMO not as well as hps.

but can it be done all the way with T5's, yes, just not as good. again IMO.

Yea truly times have changed apprently because now lows has 70 watters for around 80 bucks with ballast and bulb. 2 of those after your t5 would really kick some "uh huh." I will most likely do this in my current CFL setup. This round I think I will really be going for the organic approach, and honestly I think its only fair that they get what they are known so well to love more. Although some recent events in my life had really left me in a bind Ill deff be bale to manage Im sure.

Hmm...that seems like a great idea. Thanks man.

Well thank you but I cant really take credit its the plant that makes it true. CFL or flouro can work just fine and as long as you do things that contribute to your main purpose of fat dense buds. Like really close lighting, little slight trims every couple weeks to contain growth into certain spots.

Honestly everyone on this forum should be thanked we all contribute in our own ways.

DCkush said:
I'm convinced that I can grow adequate bud this way. Does this mean I can't throw my idea up here seeing as I have no experience to see. I mean if you guys were saying that this setup would be sooooo detrimental, so catastrophic, biblical proportion f my s up then id know right. But you didn't. It can be done, and be done well and I'm sure we've all seen evidence of this somewhere in our token careers.-Dc

Why do you ask a question when you already know the answer? Since the majority of us disagree with you, you are right and we are all wrong.

DCkush said:
Now, would the said setup be ok. I know which spectrum for which period. One t5 8bulb fuxture. Or should I go with a diff setup.

Dang it, now you're confusing me. I thought you already knew the answer, why ask the same question again?

The 8 bulb T5 set up will work great for vegging in a certain footprint as Growdude said. Many people use them with great success- in fact our own HempGoddess is a big proponent of using them for veg. But if they worked for flower- don't you think she'd use them?

But, you know for fact (without any experience) that it can be done and done well. If you don't want our opinions- just go do it!

I wish you good luck and happy growing. :cool:

I would prefer to have two 150 hps or even just one with two pirexs doing a cooltube and a extractor from bathroom ( That i bet you folks can get for minus 100 dollars ) then a bunch of CFL.
I have grown many years before ( 8 to be more exact ) with 10 tubes of 1 and a half meter ( 5 feet ) and the result is a joke compared to HPS.

With all the mistakes that you are going to do because you are a novice ( i'm too ;) ) with the CFL the results can satisfact you but the result of your hard work with the help of a HPS will just knock you down.

Is much better to have 40/50 grs from a plant ( with a small veg time ) then just 15gr.

But again ... You can do it ;).

DCkush said:
Whilst you gents have been gettin eachother panties bunched I think I've decided upon a lighting setup that suits my op. Gonna go with a t5 8 bulb. For flowering gonna get 4 reds in the mix along with the whites and throw some reptile lights in there to boost trich production. I know most of you said try for hps or hid but I experienced first hand(knowingly) buds grow this way minus the reds and UV lights. I'm convinced. I'm gonna get those lights as close as possible and ventilation won't be an issue so it feels right but you all have more experience so lets hear it!!

You're adding heat that shouldn't be there, the lights will do this enough without adding a heat lamp to the mix. You know firsthand they'll grow this way?? Sure, buds will grow under many light conditions...even severely under-lit....but the buds will be light and airy.

Truly, you're goal is to produce killer buds...right? Why on earth cut corners at the most important stage? Look into real lighting and the plants will reward you! Sure, it's gonna cost a bit to get the right set-up, but imagine that first draw from your first home grown joint, then realize how much it cost in relation to buying a bag...

Lighting is very important, don't let yourself fall into the cost-cutting trap and do it up as best you can if you want good results!

Oh, and listen to THG and BBfan, they're very up-to-date on everything MJ! Don't hate the info, embrace it, use it and love it's results!

DCkush said:
Budget is an issue unfortunately. If you have any suggestions as to where to get a good priced hps throw it my way friendo. If not I could be done though with the right bulbs and distance correct. T5 I'm referring to

Keep your eyes open for a good deal--they are everywhere. I found 2 150w HPS yard/security lights at a storage unit sale for $2 each. I turned these into a dual 150w grow light in a cool tube for about $20. I could keep the light cool with a large computer fan.

Yes, it can be done with T5s, but you will want the red spectrum bulbs for flowering. However, you may be able to find a HPS for cheap, which would give you a lot better harvest and cost less (lumen for lumen) in electricity.

Love my HO T5's for veg but I wldnt flower with them unless I had no other options....gve me my HPS for big tight dense nugs.

Jmo

Item Number: VS1000TRMS-3 Qty: 1

Virtual Sun HPS 1000 Watt Cool Tube Grow Light System font color='red'strong(3-Pack)/strong/font
$ 699.99

Might be a bit more than you need, but the price says a bit of what is out there!!! These 3 will be hanging in my basement next week :) :D

Amazon--I recently saw 2 different 600W with digi ballast and in a cool tube for under $200. There is a 400W for under $150.

I hella lucked out and found two sun system 150 watt both for 80. Will have to get bulbs I'm assume but that shouldn't be much right? Thanks hg. Just as soon as i read your post from the other day i started looking.

dc.. "I" like shopping the elec. 'supply' stores for my bulbs. I'm betting they're $10 or less. GREAT find! :)

DCkush said:
I hella lucked out and found two sun system 150 watt both for 80. Will have to get bulbs I'm assume but that shouldn't be much right? Thanks hg. Just as soon as i read your post from the other day i started looking.

Cool! No, bulbs are not expensive. Are these HPS? Are they the one piece units with the enclosed ballast?

Latest posts

Back