lighting question____

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCkush

Mr. Ruckus Himself
Reaction score
Would a t5 8 bulb fixture be good lighting for 5-10 plants in an aeroponics setup?

DCkush said:
Would a t5 8 bulb fixture be good lighting for 5-10 plants in an aeroponics setup?

It would be a great vegg lighting for 8 square feet, flowering not so much.

Number of plants and what system you use doesnt matter.

Would 8 sq/ft be good for a aeroponic system with 5-10 plants?

Maybe with clones flowered in a SOG setup.

Growdude said:
It would be a great vegg lighting for 8 square feet, flowering not so much.

Number of plants and what system you use doesnt matter.

Would 8 sq/ft be good for a aeroponic system with 5-10 plants?

Maybe with clones flowered in a SOG setup.

Thanks. Hella fresh if you cant tell. I'm planning on growing some autoflowers though. I should have mentioned that. So they won't end up as big as normal strains and I was readinup on that ScrOG last night and wanted to implement it into the plan. And what exactly is it about cfls that they say isn't as good as hps. The light spectrum?

CFLs have enough (note: I said enough, not the best.) energy and intensity if enough wattage is used and distance from the leaves, and thus further intense circulation fans, is needed. Another thing to remember about CFL is that the most optimum bulbs to use are the medium sized around 20 or so watt, which will equiv to up to 100 watts. Do Not get the big spiral bulbs. Big tube bulbs are just fine if not better than spiral. They kick out to about 2000 lumens at in inch distance. Indoors you want to get about 3,000 lumens per sq ft and about 5000 lumen per sq foot when you induce flowering. So you have to get enough bulbs for this purpose.

For veg get cool whites 6500K spectrum.
For flower get warm white 2700K spectrum bulbs.

Or use tube flouros or CFLs until your ready to flower and then use a couple small wattage HPS to flower plus your CFLs this should treat you just fine.

AlkaloidContent said:
CFLs have enough (note: I said enough, not the best.) energy and intensity if enough wattage is used and distance from the leaves, and thus further intense circulation fans, is needed. Another thing to remember about CFL is that the most optimum bulbs to use are the medium sized around 20 or so watt, which will equiv to up to 100 watts. Do Not get the big spiral bulbs. Big tube bulbs are just fine if not better than spiral. They kick out to about 2000 lumens at in inch distance. Indoors you want to get about 3,000 lumens per sq ft and about 5000 lumen per sq foot when you induce flowering. So you have to get enough bulbs for this purpose.

For veg get cool whites 6500K spectrum.
For flower get warm white 2700K spectrum bulbs.

Or use tube flouros or CFLs until your ready to flower and then use a couple small wattage HPS to flower plus your CFLs this should treat you just fine.

Thanks ac. Lots of help man. I read somewhere that you can buy diff color CFL bulbs for the red spectrum. Does this help or what?

DCkush said:
Thanks ac. Lots of help man. I read somewhere that you can buy diff color CFL bulbs for the red spectrum. Does this help or what?

The awesome thing about living in a world full tight arses, is that they have come out with new regulation that states that any CFL manufacturer has to display the spectral information and not just use terms like "cool white" "warm white" "daylight" etc etc etc.

So look for the spectrum information on all bulbs. and refer to this table below.

images.jpg

Hey AC I am curious about your screen name. Anything to do with Ergoline? I used to dabble a bit in Ergoline alkaloids. :)

Alkaloid is rather a large general term to describe a more or less electrically active element or chemical, therefore reactive to the brains electrical functions, basically making it an "active ingedient" per se.

They are just the most basic of elements in nature, That can be considered active with our bodies. You get what Im getting at. lol

AlkaloidContent said:
The kelvin is what is also referred to as Lumens.

Alkaloid- While your name may be derived from a naturally occuring organic compound, your advice sometimes borders on supernatural!

No offense but, where are you getting this information? Kelvin has absolutely nothing to do with lumens. And while degrees Kelvin does simplify things in determining proper spectrums for photosynthesis, it is only a benchmark.

You should research photosynthetically active radiation and the absorption and action spectrums of light and how it drives photosynthesis before giving someone advice on what works best for lighting, unless you have solid experience.

Light intensity is a critical factor in determining grow room set-up.

DCKush-
As Growdude said- the fixture you mention would be great for vegging but will be lacking instensity for flowering- even for autos. Your results will be light and airy buds. Combined with cfl's you'll certainly get better results, but your best results will be from a hid bulb for flowering. It's all about your goals, your space, and your budget. Deciding all those things now will serve you much better than trying to make changes along the way.
Good luck and happy growing! :cool:

BBFan said:
Alkaloid- While your name may be derived from a naturally occuring organic compound, your advice sometimes borders on supernatural!

No offense but, where are you getting this information? Kelvin has absolutely nothing to do with lumens. And while degrees Kelvin does simplify things in determining proper spectrums for photosynthesis, it is only a benchmark.

You should research photosynthetically active radiation and the absorption and action spectrums of light and how it drives photosynthesis before giving someone advice on what works best for lighting, unless you have solid experience.

Light intensity is a critical factor in determining grow room set-up.

DCKush-
As Growdude said- the fixture you mention would be great for vegging but will be lacking instensity for flowering- even for autos. Your results will be light and airy buds. Combined with cfl's you'll certainly get better results, but your best results will be from a hid bulb for flowering. It's all about your goals, your space, and your budget. Deciding all those things now will serve you much better than trying to make changes along the way.
Good luck and happy growing! :cool:

WHOA DUDE! Look I only said that because the the chart shows the term Kelvin, and the guy might not get that its showing him the spectrum the lights fall into. Of course I know theres a difference between Lumens and Kelvin, Kelvin is a term related to light energy and temperature. DOnt belittle me Sir. It wont work.

Dont be so quick to be right.

bbfan and growdude know very well these stuff dude ...
I'm quite new here too ( less then one year ) but i think that you are trying too hard ... Don't push it so hard.
The info available by this guys is more then great. Some are really pros ... Some just hardcore ( in the good way )

The kelvin is what is also referred to as Lumens.

absolutely and unequivocally false.
Kelvins state the color temperature and Lumens state the brightness output.
You may 'know' the difference, but that isn't what you stated.
A 23 watt "3000K"(kelvin) bulb puts out about 1500 "Lumens" while a 55 watt "3000K" (kelvin) bulbs puts out about 4800 "Lumens".. totally not related ;)

Well I just checked outside and the world hasnt ended so it looks like we caught this in time.

I made a mistake on my post so I deleted it, I was wrong and looking back WTH was I talking about, I completely brought in lumens into a response about spectrums. Another idiot move, thank you all for bringing it to my attention.

AlkaloidContent said:
NVM, Ill just edit it.

I don't think anyone is "bustin' yer hump" just bcause you're trying to help. You're zeal is refreshing.
We just don't want inappropriate or incorrect information to be inadvertently passed along. :)

:aok:... BELIEVE me... our members will not hesitate to correct information..;)
but seldom will you hear discouragement from trying to help others.

Whilst you gents have been gettin eachother panties bunched I think I've decided upon a lighting setup that suits my op. Gonna go with a t5 8 bulb. For flowering gonna get 4 reds in the mix along with the whites and throw some reptile lights in there to boost trich production. I know most of you said try for hps or hid but I experienced first hand(knowingly) buds grow this way minus the reds and UV lights. I'm convinced. I'm gonna get those lights as close as possible and ventilation won't be an issue so it feels right but you all have more experience so lets hear it!!

DCkush said:
Whilst you gents have been gettin eachother panties bunched I think I've decided upon a lighting setup that suits my op. Gonna go with a t5 8 bulb. For flowering gonna get 4 reds in the mix along with the whites and throw some reptile lights in there to boost trich production. I know most of you said try for hps or hid but I experienced first hand(knowingly) buds grow this way minus the reds and UV lights. I'm convinced. I'm gonna get those lights as close as possible and ventilation won't be an issue so it feels right but you all have more experience so lets hear it!!

nope.. my panties are still in a bunch..:angrywife: I ain't answerin'.. I should have just allowed you to go on believing you were gonna' get 6500 lumen p/bulb?? :ignore:

however... bbfan and growdude gave you 'great' advice from 'experience'..;)

DCkush said:

I don't understand the tubes you are getting--you want blue spectrum for veg and red spectrum for flowering. You need ventilation regardless of heat. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on.

I am curious why you even asked the question, since it appears you were "convinced" from get-go....

Latest posts

Back