Lighting schedule indoor to outdoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the forecast online it says mid may there could be a couple of frosty mornings and cold nights but then it’s to get warm again at the end of may . Original plan was may the 14th but might hold off another week or two . The sunlight hours for may say 16 hours so I was going to switch them to 16/8
For a few weeks to get them used to that but from what iv read online 18/6 seems a lot better , by the time June comes itl be about 17/18 hours per day so should i just go ahead with 18/6 from now on ?

if you are trying to match your indoor light schedule with the outdoor light schedule then you are doing the right thing

Wow, that kind of concerns me. My last flowering plants have at least 3 more weeks to go, and I will be out next week for vacation. We decided it was not wise to ask the pet sitter to water/tend more than four plants in VA : )

I'm having a LOT of problems regulating temperature, and have started leaving the tent open at night when the lights are on. The TS3000 is already at 75%. I might have to drop it to 50% to avoid killing my harvest plants. Maybe I should leave the tent open that week. Would they really reveg this close to harvest?

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in on this thread. It seemed like an appropriate place for my question. So I plan to start hardening off my girls taking them out for some shade, sunshine and real wind getting them use to their new backyard starting now maybe to early as I don’t plan to completely leave them outside until early June but it’s gonna be 85 tomorrow… so the month of May will be in and out of the tent. All the reading I’m doing about hardening off have been showing small seedlings. My girls are already gonna be big girls when they go outside is there a difference hardening seedlings opposed to larger plants in vegetation ?

that is a good question and I don’t have a simple answer

from my observations it appears that seedlings and young plants are not affected with the outdoor light schedules

for example , we have many seedling volunteers that emerged about 2 1/2 weeks ago and are an inch or two high right now

we have about 14 hours daylight yet these seedlings will not go into flower

now my neighbor has a heated greenhouse and he vegged a plant to about 2’ feet tall indoors and then put it out in the greenhouse when there was about 12 hours daylight

the plant immediately began to flower and is just about ready to harvest now

so the seedling will not flower where as if I put a 2-3 foot mature vegged plant outside it would start to flower under 14 10 light schedule

then as the daylight gets longer the cannabis plant will get confused and try to revert back to vegging and then there is a big mess

my guess is the older the plant gets the more conditioned it becomes to reacting to light changes than a new seedling…….if that makes sense

it would be a fun experiment

Wow, that kind of concerns me. My last flowering plants have at least 3 more weeks to go, and I will be out next week for vacation. We decided it was not wise to ask the pet sitter to water/tend more than four plants in VA : )

I'm having a LOT of problems regulating temperature, and have started leaving the tent open at night when the lights are on. The TS3000 is already at 75%. I might have to drop it to 50% to avoid killing my harvest plants. Maybe I should leave the tent open that week. Would they really reveg this close to harvest?

I doubt with just 3 weeks to go that they would reverse on you

why can’t you fix the ventilation problem in your tent?

I doubt with just 3 weeks to go that they would reverse on you

why can’t you fix the ventilation problem in your tent?
It's in my shop. I have AC, but almost never run it. I have been doing so lately, but even drawing in the cooler 75-ish air directly from the shop, I get temps of 85 deg or so with the light at 75%. The temp around the tent is about 79 at the moment.

The fan is big enough that it replaces the tent volume every 2-3 minutes. It really bugs me I can't get the temperature lower. Back of the envelope number crunching says I can hold it within 2 degrees of the shop temperature with the fan at max. It's not even close.

that is a good question and I don’t have a simple answer

from my observations it appears that seedlings and young plants are not affected with the outdoor light schedules

for example , we have many seedling volunteers that emerged about 2 1/2 weeks ago and are an inch or two high right now

we have about 14 hours daylight yet these seedlings will not go into flower

now my neighbor has a heated greenhouse and he vegged a plant to about 2’ feet tall indoors and then put it out in the greenhouse when there was about 12 hours daylight

the plant immediately began to flower and is just about ready to harvest now

so the seedling will not flower where as if I put a 2-3 foot mature vegged plant outside it would start to flower under 14 10 light schedule

then as the daylight gets longer the cannabis plant will get confused and try to revert back to vegging and then there is a big mess

my guess is the older the plant gets the more conditioned it becomes to reacting to light changes than a new seedling…….if that makes sense

it would be a fun experiment
I was just reading this pretty easy read for me
https://bigbudsmag.com/transplanting-timing-hardening-cannabis-plants-for-outdoor-growing/
Our days don’t get much over 14 hours here. I thought I’d get them use to going outside on nice days Until Jun 1st when the days are somewhere around 14:30. i would put them out earlier but don’t want that reveg thing going on with them. I guess some different strains grow better outside which I didn’t consider because all my seed info said inside outside. This article talks finally about letting his plants get big before putting them out. It’s the first time I read anything other than putting babies or seedlings out. My plants are super healthy and their stems are getting nice and thick. Internodes are filling in nice finally after topping some want to be tall girls others are LST well. Probably will put the tall ones outside.
I guess that 12 hour days is what started your neighbors plant to flower?

What I find interesting is when discussing indoor plants everyone, EVERYONE, stresses the need for complete and uninterrupted 12 hours of darkness. But here we are worrying about our plants switching to flower in 14 hours of daylight. If that's the case, I want a refund on my tent : )

Thinking about it. I haven’t put a timer on the veg tent. They are on 24/7 lights at 50% maybe I should set Them at 18/6 at least so it won’t be as hard reducing their light when I’m trying to adjust to the outdoor schedule. I figured a little less light every night till I match outdoors…I’m just guessing please chime in if I’m totally out there. I want to do what I can for the best possible first outdoor grow. I’m sure I’ll screw up along the way, just trying to prevent any unnecessary casualties. I’m planning on two directly in the ground and two in pots…

I'll start keeping better track of the two clones I'm leaving out. If they flip I can just stick them in the flower tent (when I get back from vacation), but it might be a useful data point.

They both went out on... April 23. Both were about 8" tall, but have already grown more. I'll get pics tomorrow. They get direct sun for 6-8 hours and shadow the rest of the day.

They are in small 1-2 gallon felt pots and have needed water every morning. I should move them to bigger pots, or give them away as I originally planned.

I'll start keeping better track of the two clones I'm leaving out. If they flip I can just stick them in the flower tent (when I get back from vacation), but it might be a useful data point.

They both went out on... April 23. Both were about 8" tall, but have already grown more. I'll get pics tomorrow. They get direct sun for 6-8 hours and shadow the rest of the day.

They are in small 1-2 gallon felt pots and have needed water every morning. I should move them to bigger pots, or give them away as I originally planned.
They not gonna get much bigger they gonna start budding a bigger pot is always good if they have out grown their pot new fertilizer might get you bigger buds your plant probably won’t even be a foot tall when all is said and done

They not gonna get much bigger they gonna start budding a bigger pot is always good if they have out grown their pot new fertilizer might get you bigger buds your plant probably won’t even be a foot tall when all is said and done

Really? With 14 hours of daylight? Not doubting you, but I have to see it to believe it. If they do flower, I still wonder why I need a tent indoors, and 12 hours of absolute darkness to flower. Tent or sunlight, something doesn't make sense.

I was just reading this pretty easy read for me
https://bigbudsmag.com/transplanting-timing-hardening-cannabis-plants-for-outdoor-growing/
Our days don’t get much over 14 hours here. I thought I’d get them use to going outside on nice days Until Jun 1st when the days are somewhere around 14:30. i would put them out earlier but don’t want that reveg thing going on with them. I guess some different strains grow better outside which I didn’t consider because all my seed info said inside outside. This article talks finally about letting his plants get big before putting them out. It’s the first time I read anything other than putting babies or seedlings out. My plants are super healthy and their stems are getting nice and thick. Internodes are filling in nice finally after topping some want to be tall girls others are LST well. Probably will put the tall ones outside.
I guess that 12 hour days is what started your neighbors plant to flower?

yep

thanks for the link

we have double cropped in the past…ie. veg plants Feb Mar and put outdoors in April , which is tricky with our unpredictable weather , in a small greenhouse with some heat at night , and they flowered and we had a July 4th harvest

it is similar in a way to a light dep grow which we have done in the past

pulling the tarp on and off a greenhouse so the plants have 12 on and 12 off can sometimes be a big hassle but if done correctly has good results

light dep a greenhouse and also have a garden full of ganja plants can make for a very productive season

What I find interesting is when discussing indoor plants everyone, EVERYONE, stresses the need for complete and uninterrupted 12 hours of darkness. But here we are worrying about our plants switching to flower in 14 hours of daylight. If that's the case, I want a refund on my tent : )

yep , sometimes growing ganja can be over complicated

plus one has to factor in the genetics as some plants are more light sensitive than others

i have a snow leopard that does not want to flower until the last minute and when I think she will never finish on time BAM!..she fools me and matures in rapid speed the last 2-3 weeks….

and then I’ve grown some Thai hybrids that if I looked at them wrong they went into flower

but yeah , 12-12 is the sweet spot

Really? With 14 hours of daylight? Not doubting you, but I have to see it to believe it. If they do flower, I still wonder why I need a tent indoors, and 12 hours of absolute darkness to flower. Tent or sunlight, something doesn't make sense.
Its the time of year its not veg season its flower season right now just watch them beautiful buds grow

Mid may apparently has 16 hours daylight a day so the revegging thing shouldn’t be a problem by then hopefully

if you are trying to match your indoor light schedule with the outdoor light schedule then you are doing the right thing
Thanks man , I’m going to switch them to 16-8 tonight , after a couple weeks of them being out it will be June and the daylight will be up to 18 hours a day will that affect them if they have been getting used to 16/8 or is longer light days always a good thing ?

Thanks man , I’m going to switch them to 16-8 tonight , after a couple weeks of them being out it will be June and the daylight will be up to 18 hours a day will that affect them if they have been getting used to 16/8 or is longer light days always a good thing ?

and that is a good thing

17BEC0B9-71BE-4DA4-AD56-0CAF43190B79.jpeg
788821B5-8286-4156-9543-62E0DC582344.jpeg

Mid may apparently has 16 hours daylight a day so the revegging thing shouldn’t be a problem by then hopefully
I have put plants out may first by may 16 they be fully budding revegging stunts the growth big time they will start flowering July 21So your time is short your season will be your plant trying to grow back in veg mode by the time they start growing back regular July 21 will indeed be upon you results is low yields I’m just trying to save u time HAPPY GROWING

Latest posts

Back