Lighting upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1

Reaction score
I have a 4x4 grow room that is 6' tall and a 400 watt led full spectrum light. I know I did a number of things wrong with this grow because I'm still learning but should I go with a more powerful light the next time around? The plants definitely didn't grow to their full potential. I know it wasn't all lighting issues. Or is a larger light too strong for a small grow room? Thanks in advance

Steve I don't think we've crossed paths -- A belated welcome to MP !-- Yes more light -- about a 1,000 - 1,500 LED watts per square yard/meter -
Also some ventilation-- Temp OK ?-- Humidity ?-- Young plants U can have the light farther away

LED wattages are deceiving. A lot of manufacturers will use the wattage as a comparison to HID lights(like a 400 watt HPS is probably what the manufacturer of your LED is saying). I am sure you could go with more light though. I am pretty sure most everyone on here would like more light in their grow space. More good light usually means more and better buds.

Steve1...

Howdy, I use a 400w hps and will never get rid of it, in fact this is the second 400w I've bought. The last one lasted 25 years. This one cost $100. used, with a better hood

My 'room' is about 5' x 7'. My 400w hps covers a 3' x 3' area and doesn't need anything but a fan on a milk crate.
If I had a 600w I'd need fans and blowers, duct work everywhere.
I don't know anything about leds.

Your 400w is fine. It is capable of 10 ounces every 2 months.
I use super soil.
Luck...

Thank you...

The Poet...

Last edited:
Steve I don't think we've crossed paths -- A belated welcome to MP !-- Yes more light -- about a 1,000 - 1,500 LED watts per square yard/meter -
Also some ventilation-- Temp OK ?-- Humidity ?-- Young plants U can have the light farther away
Thanks. I do have a good ventilation system, Temperature and humidity are an issue I'm going to address next. My room is actually in my shed. I did mistype though, I have a 600 watt Bloomspect LED

I mistyped the original post. I have a 6oo watt Bloomspect LED light. Thanks

The manufacturer says that the bloomspect 600 is for a 2x2 ft flower area. So you’d need 4 to cover your 4x4 ft tent. It is a $60 LED. You will need a lot more light. My son was just gifted one of those from a co-worker he barely knows so I don’t think the guy was particularly impressed with the light. Looking at the PPFD graphic on Amazon is kinda not informative but at 12” above the canopy you will be getting 674 PPFD( a measure of light density). That is still a bit on the low side. You will need more light so look at what others on here are recommending and try to sift thru and skip the people who are obviously reps for some of the manufacturers.

New to the growing scene I bought what i thought was right. Compared to what I started with it was a huge upgrade. While this time around was okay, I definitely want the next time to be better

Sorry if I came off like a jerk. Not my intent. My lights are way under powered(for what I would like) and I have been flogging thru trying to grow for 7? years. Just upgrade what and when you can. I grew with t5 floros for a few years. Another member recommended the King Plus LEDs to me. They are relatively inexpensive. I have one 1200 and I bought a different brand(Growstar) to pair with it and wish I had spent a little more for another King Plus. A lot of people like the Mars Hydro LEDs. Another guy is having nice results with a Spider Farm. Solstrips are another brand that I have seen people use with good results(very modular). I can’t afford the premium lighting or can’t justify it to myself. Lush, Fluence and Gavita are some of the brands I would buy if I had $1000 I didn’t need. Buy what you can afford but if I had self control, I would have saved up for a good light and lived with what I had.

Didn’t think you did. I appreciate the advice. There are just so many options and so many opinions that it’s hard to make a decision. Yes, my 600 was a definite upgrade from what I had but I think I need to step up my game. Lol

My spiderfarmer light is very intense. I would feel it would be adequate for a 4x4. The 2 mars sp250s would light a 4x4 well enough. Either of these options are $500.
20191110_083940.jpg

Latest posts

Back