Lights, camera, bud pic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D40 is a great camera (I outgrew my D40x) and the 18-55 is also a great piece of glass :hubba: for what it is.

Tamron has great glass, I also read reviews on that lens and saw that it get a little soft around the edges, but that's when your @200+mm, I don't think you will be shooting close-up's from across the room will you? so I wouldn't worry about that, only when your zooming 'hard' is when you will have issues. I'm guessing you will be shooting in the 100mm (ish) area. I get to about 2"(ish) away from my budz, my lens is *fixed at 50mm*

I did see that your pics where not in focus, but that will change when you get that Tripod. They are good pics tho :hubba: good composition

I'm only in veg. right now, so I have nothing exciting to put up, BUT, I'm going to be hitting it hard here come March! (Green Crack, LUI, Pre-98 BK, Kens GDP and Banana Kush) I've been debating a journal - So for right now I take 'photo walks' in my area (N. Cali) and take pics

*Fixed or Prime lenses have no zoom, they are fixed at 1 focal length, i.e. 50mm. The advantage of these types of lenses is that your subject is closer to your sensor/film because they don't have to build all the 'zoom' function into the lens. And in general these lenses are fast (remember the speed of your lens is the f/#, the lower the faster, the fastest being f/1.4 [on my list]) and great in low light. Prime lenses in-particular are the best for portraits and general close-up photography. The cons about these lenses is that you have to change them AND, you have to use your legs to zoom. Primes and Macros are different.

My glass selection; 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Prime, 50mm 2.8 Sigma Macro and my 'walkaround' 18-105mm Nikkor zoom

Q Ive been pretty happy with the d40 thus far.... Its a lil large to carry around all the time but it takes great shots...

I do see some of those shots are out of focus... i only took like 35 shots the other day and i think i only posted the best 20 in my journal...

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
I do see some of those shots are out of focus... i only took like 35 shots the other day and i think i only posted the best 20 in my journal...

I know what you mean, when you get the Tripod that will go away. You should also get the wireless remote for your camera too (it's only like $10, they're all over eBay) so then you don't have to touch the camera at all. I use mine 100% of the time. Even the shake of you pushing your button all the way down will throw your pic out of focus...

Yeah, that's what I thought too! it has been one of the coolest things I have bought. The cooler thing is that I'm able to use the same remote for my D90...

There is not much to them as you can see...

Shots-1-4.jpg

TC A BPOM from me?? no way... if i added all my votes together since i joined i wouldnt have what you got for that BB up top... As far as my entry for this month it has yet to be taken... Im waiting for a new lens and for my PEx to fill in some more... And with Hick starting the polls around the 5th ill have another few weeks for her to hopefully fatten up nice...

Fear not the NO VOTE, I entered a lot of times before I got ONE vote. True story. I refined what I felt the audience was looking for and then began to choose pics for the voters. I have 4 BPOM's now to look back on. I have entered prolly four times as many times as that. Glad to know you are planning on entereing.

I think the indoor growers have more wins since I have been here than outdoor pics. It will be interesting after this thread to see how many more indoor growers enter. I urge you all to enter over and over and enter what you think are your best bud pics.

Good luck to you, but with this thread and your beautiful girls....who needs luck...right? It will now come down to your skill with camera, your eye for composition and your beautiful girls.

So,,,, I was playing around with settings today and thought you all may find this helpful...

The first 3 pics are in progression with my Aperture (f/#'s)

First is @ f/22
Second @ f/11
Third @ f/4.2
Fourth @ f/4.2 w/flash
I tried all of my f/#'s but you get the idea of whats happening, don't you?

Point being is that I like the f/11 (#2) best, and that's what I will be shooting these types of pics. When I take 'live' shots I will drop to the 5.6 area (that's where I shot my recent BPOTM pic)

---

The rest are of me trying different angles of flash

These are of my affy...

Shots-1-5.jpg

Shots-2-3.jpg

Shots-3-2.jpg

Shots-4-2.jpg

Shots-5-2.jpg

Shots-6.jpg

Shots-7.jpg

Shots-8.jpg

Shots-9.jpg

Shots-10.jpg

Shots-12.jpg

Thanks nv!

My WB is way off however, the only one that's close is the 4th pic. The white should be white; not grey, or sky blue. I had already put everything away before I noticed. I metered wrong and forgot to re-adjust my settings (I was on a nice 'wake-N-bake')

I'm still learning too...

Q thanks to your input on the remote... I did order one so hopefully it will help with the out of focus pics... thanks again...

TC ive posted a BPOTM i believe every month since ive had my camera.... Ive gotten some votes... just not enough for my pic to be on the homepage...

Qman said:
Thanks nv!

My WB is way off however, the only one that's close is the 4th pic. The white should be white; not grey, or sky blue. I had already put everything away before I noticed. I metered wrong and forgot to re-adjust my settings (I was on a nice 'wake-N-bake')

I'm still learning too...

Well, as long as you were on a wake'n'bake, then no harm done!:D

JAAM, it's gonna come man! I predict you will have your BPOTM soon enough. Your motivation is great and here you are bro, learning everything you possibly can. Just keep plugging away, you'll get man, you'll get it!;)

NV Im gonna keep snapping wether I get a winner or not... Ive got like 10 new strains goin and im hoping for some "colorful" phenos on a few of them...

High all, im a little new here to MP and just found this tread :D Very impressive pics and lots of good tips!

Qman very nice bud/pics complete with aperture notes, very helpful :peace:

Im just learning and finding how fun digital photography can be. Figured I would drop in with a few of my pics that I took last night in my little closet grow of some bagseeders.

Edit: Sorry forgot pics, lol

33d flow.jpg

33dflow.jpg

33 d flow..jpg

:welcome: to MP Stand

Photography runs pretty much even with growing for me personally. Together, these make 1 of the best hobbies anyone can ask for :hubba:

Please feel free to add to this thread any tips/tricks you may have and, if you have any questions, please ask!

Nice pics

Thanks Qman, I really need to get a tripod first but that light ring looks like a fun toy/tool :D Problem here is im my camera is a GE so doubt they make one for this cheapy cam, do you know if they make a universal version? Or maybe I could make one :eek:

This is basic im sure but i thought i would mention that when i take my macro shots using my timer set on 2sec delay so i dont move the cam while im taking my pictures. :p Its handy dandy lol peace

Great pics and info!!!! I just have a digi sonycypershot 8.1. I enjoy taking pics. I haven't messed with it much yet. I just borrowed some light from the hps to enhance this pic.

DSC00856.JPG

Hey guys... These were the only 2 bud pics i was able to snap thus far with the new lens... Still freehand... i know i know...

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

Art is in here somewhere.. I found Art. Can you?:D

Some curious pics with a simple leaf. I was fascinated how my eyes are continually drawn right back to the center of these pics, no matter where else I tried to look. Check it out....

2010_0114Jan160011.JPG

2010_0114Jan160018.JPG

2010_0114Jan160019.JPG

2010_0114Jan160023.JPG

2010_0114Jan160025.JPG

2010_0114Jan160035.JPG

Latest posts

Back