Lights, camera, bud pic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi tcbud, nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome :cool:

Getting ready to flip, and doing some final tweaks, so, I decided to play around with some different backdrops and the different effect you get with different colors. I have a identical twin of each of these btw....

1 - LUI
2 - Green Crack (oops same color)
3 - Pre98 Bubba Kush
4 - Ken's GDP
5 - Banana Kush
6 - Just a pic of my cat next to a Pre98 & Banana to give an idea

They are all vegging in Super Soil under a 1000k MH @ about 75f and 50% RH (ish), they are about 5 weeks and between 20" - 24". I water about every 3~4 days with str8 RO pH'd @7, I missed a couple Ca/Mg feeds that I corrected...

One of these (or multiple) is a future BPOTM candidate

Shots-13.jpg

Shots-14.jpg

Shots-15.jpg

Shots-16.jpg

Shots-18.jpg

Shots-17.jpg

Ho ho! Q, looking good bro! Can't wait to see what kind of contenders these will produce. Cool backgrounds too. Where did you find that satin-y stuff?

Wally-world. They are making our into a 'super' and for some stupid reason got rid of the fabric area :confused: they had a 25~50~75% off sale that I caught at the very tail end, I have other colors to. I will compose differently next time...

I'm really wanting to see the Pre's go into flower, I think they are going to be my winners....

Hope you guys don't mind a novice steppin in....playing around with the camera today and thought this shot of a lower bud of NL looked pretty kool.
Ordered the tripod today to help with my steady hands :rolleyes: hopefully it'll help

LowBud-NL1.jpg

Hello again guys. Feels great to have won January's BPOTM. Wish I had a new entry, but I'm about 6 weeks away from the next chance to get a really good shot. The Domina lends itself to photography. It's very well defined and like an ice cream cone underneath.
The next Domina is bigger. She's in perfect shape, about 38" tall, I expect her to reach about 4 ft when the colas are fully formed. She's very broad - about 3 feet across - so I was thinking I might gather her and try an overhead floral shot.
The one thing I don't like about my new camera - so far - is that I can't set the focus manually, and in macro, sometimes I just can't get it to focus on what I want.

CungaBreath said:
Hope you guys don't mind a novice steppin in....playing around with the camera today and thought this shot of a lower bud of NL looked pretty kool.
Ordered the tripod today to help with my steady hands :rolleyes: hopefully it'll help

Your shot has great colour, that plant is well triched up. Top bit got defocussed a bit due to depth of field, I guess. Well done.

Wow, I thought my stoner butt already asked this, but I guess not...:D

Hey leaf, that's a great shot for sure man. So how did you set up the back drop? What setting did you find most useful? What kind of lighting were you using? How did you get this great shot man??

Ok, in full on tinkering mode today and thought I would share a thought.

I found this a few weeks ago at an auto supply store. On a whim I picked it up today for $11.00. Y'all thinkin' what I'm thinkin'???:hubba: 'Course ya are!

2010_0211feb120003.JPG

So this thing has a beveled edge that turns away from the lense. Not good. Guess Ima have to ditch some things... This was pretty easy, but now the ring is out and the thinking begins!

2010_0211feb120006.JPG

2010_0211feb120004.JPG

2010_0211feb120005.JPG

2010_0211feb120007.JPG

Ok, so here is what I have done so far...

I had an old cd case (I actually saw a guy do this on youtube) and it just so happened that the led rings fit it perfectly. How's that for luck? So, after a bit of modification, it works! Perfect fit on my camera the first go round. Once on my camera, I can turn the camera on and of with no ill affect.

So now what? Well...... I think I will use clear silicone to bed the lights onto the frame. Next will be trying to figure out how to power the darn thing. Guess I will have to go to Radio Shack and see what they got.. Once that is done I can install the switch. Add a bit of wire and solder and that should do it. All I know is I have gotten as far as I can with it tonight..

If this works, then I will link this to the DIY section.

2010_0211feb130001.JPG

2010_0211feb130002.JPG

2010_0211feb130003.JPG

What a crafty idea :hubba:, curious to see if/how it works. What kind of power does it use? Getting it to 'flash' is going to be the trick

Hey Q, it originally was powered by 4 AA's. I will probably keep it that way. The flash part. I imagine I will just leave it on for the faster shots, and may install a hand held relay for the slower shots.

But, your right man. Gotta make it work first. Either way, it's something fun to do in the middle of winter;)

Ok, so let's finish this thing..

Some supplies bring the total cost of this project up to around $24. I did a little minor soldering, drilled holes for the necessary wiring and seated the bulbs in silicone. I wish I could say I am very happy with how things are going, but my fingers are too fat and my soldering iron is too fat also. I just don't like the fine solder work and although a little was needed here, it ain't gonna happen.

Sooo, does it work? Hey!! It worked! I'm still not thrilled with it and may take it apart and redo it with out the three way switch. I did put on a momentary soft push button. This should be the only button I use. I could take the main switch off. The only problem was the tests I did didn't work and the lights wouldn't fire until the switch was hooked up..

2010_0212feb130001.JPG

2010_0212feb130002.JPG

2010_0212feb130003.JPG

2010_0212feb130004.JPG

2010_0212feb130005.JPG

2010_0212feb130006.JPG

A few preliminary shots.. Not much, and no adjustments from the camera. I did notice trichs seem to stand up a little better, but I will play more with it this weekend..

2010_0212feb130008.JPG

2010_0212feb130009.JPG

2010_0212feb130010.JPG

2010_0212feb130011.JPG

2010_0212feb130012.JPG

Latest posts

Back