Lights for 5x5 coverage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesso

Mad Scientist
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Im growing in a 5x5 tent these days. My intention is to completely veg out and flower the entire area in a scrog setup. The light i have is pretty good, a kind xl1000. Its really a 3x3 or a 4x4 type of light. My ppfd is probably dropped off to nearly nothing on the outer 1ft of my net. So im thinking i need some extra light if i am to get the most out of my space. I have two king 1200s that i can squeeze in the sides, but im pondering on getting 1 or 2 mars sp250s to run along side the kind led. 5x5 is a weird size for a space. There is no single light that i can find out there meant to cover 25 sq ft. I do want to stick with led....suggestions?

I like my solstrip.com lights...they come in strips I think about 18” long so you can arrange them in a single or double row to cover about any shaped space you can imagine...if you use an open frame it allows for great air circulation and heat dissipation.

I will check them out

I like my solstrip.com lights...they come in strips I think about 18” long so you can arrange them in a single or double row to cover about any shaped space you can imagine...if you use an open frame it allows for great air circulation and heat dissipation.
Cant find too much info on those. Looks like i would need 2 strips per sq ft? So i would need 18 of those. Might be a bit pricey considering i would have to fabricate a fitting to hold them. Unless im missing something.

Im growing in a 5x5 tent these days. My intention is to completely veg out and flower the entire area in a scrog setup. The light i have is pretty good, a kind xl1000. Its really a 3x3 or a 4x4 type of light. My ppfd is probably dropped off to nearly nothing on the outer 1ft of my net. So im thinking i need some extra light if i am to get the most out of my space. I have two king 1200s that i can squeeze in the sides, but im pondering on getting 1 or 2 mars sp250s to run along side the kind led. 5x5 is a weird size for a space. There is no single light that i can find out there meant to cover 25 sq ft. I do want to stick with led....suggestions?

Three SP250 can cover 5x5 tent well. I also found that there is no one light that can cover 5x5 and offer enough power in market. Must use a few panels.

2xSP250 can cover 4x4 veg area. Three would do well during flowering in 5x5. I found that gavita produced a LED light that can cover 5x5. But the price fear me away.

Yeah. The sp 250s are running along with a kind led. Even the edges of the tent are brightly lit.

20191011_171223.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-153733_Chrome.jpg
I have narrowed it down to 2 lights to replace the blurple kind led on the next run. The hlg 550 r spec or timber fatty vs.
The hlg is more efficient. The timber is more powerful.

Last edited:
Jeez, you are not playing around! That is some serious coin!

The spiderfarmer sf 4000 is nearly identical to the hlg. Same chips and driver. But its only 600 bucks. HLG is an american company, spiderfarmer is chinese.
Screenshot_20191011-171519_Chrome.jpg

I am not a fan of putting all my eggs in one basket. I like being able to move the lights around 'cause not all grows have equal canopies and sometimes you need to light more of an area than others. In addition to that if something happens to the one light, you can lose the whole grow. As a result I chose to go with the sp250s. I have three of 'em in a 6x4 tent and they have just completed their 1st. grow. I like 'em.

I have 2 of those sp250s. They are a quality light. I would need 2 or 3 more to get the same coverage. Im not opposed to a bunch of sp250s hanging around though.

i don't get the led thing. why not go 630w cmh veg and flower one bulb? i haven't seen any commercial grows using led and there's probably a reason. i know nothing of led, but what is the 1000w comparable led cri rating? the sun equals a 100, hps is around 20 and cmh is 92. uv is importat also, jus sayin

Last edited:
What was your question?

well my questions are clearly spelled out. they end with this "?" weird doo hickey. so i see that you have all these multiple leds that, according to you, total 1000w draw in your 5x5 tent. you asked for one light that covers a 5x5 area. well a 630w cmh will do just that and come in under your wattage draw. so tell me the advantage of led? if it's for heat then i would deal with heat over lack of uv that leds barely produce. you need to stop puffing your chest. i've seen multiple responses from you that are crass

Puffyness of my chest aside....your post was rambling and unclear as i couldnt discern your question from your super good advice to switch to cmh.
One cmh light in a 5x5 would leave a huge hot spot in the middle with a significant drop off in light intensity the further from the middle you get. Cmh is the most efficient hid, but not as efficient when it comes to par per watt among almost every other discernable metric of comparison. A quantum board led will disperse light better and with more efficiency not to mention a more complete spectrum. If i seem crass in my response, young lady, i apologize. Im not often patient when one comes to a thread to give poor and unresearched "advice" when they clearly dont know what they are talking about.

I have 2 of those sp250s. They are a quality light. I would need 2 or 3 more to get the same coverage. Im not opposed to a bunch of sp250s hanging around though.
It is the right choice to go with SP250. The Spider Farmer 4000 looks amazing too.

I am not a fan of putting all my eggs in one basket. I like being able to move the lights around 'cause not all grows have equal canopies and sometimes you need to light more of an area than others. In addition to that if something happens to the one light, you can lose the whole grow. As a result I chose to go with the sp250s. I have three of 'em in a 6x4 tent and they have just completed their 1st. grow. I like 'em.
3xSP250 might not be enough for 6x4 area in flowering stage. Maybe add one SP150. i think. :rolleyes:

I run 5x5 tents as well. If I dont run double lights then I use a light mover, light rail 3.5, comes with x2 3'3"(1 meter) bars that can be connected. I only use 1 of the bars and run a k1000 back and forth. Gives me 5x3 ft. flower easy.
Good luck

https://www.lightrail3.com/

i don't get the led thing. why not go 630w cmh veg and flower one bulb? i haven't seen any commercial grows using led and there's probably a reason. i know nothing of led, but what is the 1000w comparable led cri rating? the sun equals a 100, hps is around 20 and cmh is 92. uv is importat also, jus sayin

I was VERY apprehensive to move to LED's after over a decade of HID. I can assure you plenty of commercial grows use LED'S. As far as CRI, I believe quality LEDs produce around 80 on the Color Rending Index. It's my understanding that higher CRI would simply mean your seeing the plant/object more clear and closer to its natural color.

Take care,
Matt

"Most LED lights available today are approximately 80 CRI and produce fine colors".

Latest posts

Back