Lights for my new project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftdistortion

Reaction score
Hi There everyone

I ive come across your site and think its well good i got some questions
that i need help with if yous dont mind.ive looked at some sites thst sell hps and mh or flourescents but they very pricey i then saw on another page that i can just buy a standard spotlight which is sodium or metal halide my question is must it be high pressure sodium or just sodium and is low pressure sodium the best one will 70w be enough for one plant cus 400w or 250w is just way to big for my project.
Thanks alot dude.
D

Low pressure sodiums are yellow and I don't think they are bright in the right way.

Metal halide floodlights are as expensive as grow ones I think.

if you meant halogen<<<those are way too hot

Fluorescents are ok. Walmart sells four foot long shoplights for less than $10 USD and the tubes are $2.50. keep them very close to your plants (about one inch / 2.5cm). If you grow big plants, like taller than 18", then you will nedd lights on the sidea as well as the top.

good luck!

The 70-250w hps floods are great... they'll work fine... and are much more efficent then flouros. They do however create a lot of heat. 400w is normally the smallest you'd want to go.. unless you are talking about a REALLY small space. Pick what fits your grow!

Metal Halide lights are the best for growing vegetatively... but I've never seen a flood one cheap, like the hps ones are.

At the very least you can get yourself a couple of compact "twisty" floro bulbs and that'll grow the girls nice.. and they are low heat.

i just got the same exact HPS one, SUPER FAST SHIPPING , good buy, i want a MH one next for veg, for now the cfls will work.

Thanks alot all helped me out a bit i have invested in a commercial floodlight its a 250w MH its cost me 40 pounds i will then buy a HPS for around 30 pounds after the veg growth.

I am growing in a closet thats not that tall but enough for a 1 or 2 plants i would like to know if 250 is enough for this?

I have tested my box with a halogen for the heat and as i guessed it gets very hot does the mh and hps get as hot as the halogen or how close to that heat do they get?What would be the best way to cool my light would it just be enough to put a pipe (swimming pool pipe) from outside into the box blowing the cold air direct on the light or a pipe from a fan with regular room tempreature air? it is cold now over here in the uk so im scared its to cold for the plant if the pipe is from outside!

i am growing in soil nothing complicated im trying to get as much of a natural plant as i can get i want the climate and the whole system to be like southern african weather and temp do you have any tips for me on this and what nutrients and additves are the best for a soil plant and any ideas on a non coplicated just natural good tasting weed i dont want all those chemicals and crap its all rubbish.

Thanks alot for your trouble brothers from other mothers.
Looking forward to your replies.
D

Sorry all i got another question

When i start my plant after germination when using a 250w mh must i keep the light like 10cm abouve the plants at all times or just leave the light atthe top of my box like the sun you know?

Thanks d

deftdistortion said:
Sorry all i got another question

When i start my plant after germination when using a 250w mh must i keep the light like 10cm abouve the plants at all times or just leave the light atthe top of my box like the sun you know?

Thanks d
Depending on how hot it is in your grow box you need to keep that light between 12 and 24 inches from the tops of your plants.

Latest posts

Back