Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glaucoma

Reaction score
I'm only growing 4 Plants this season. I was just wondering why do i have to buy a 400 watt HPS light. Wouldn't that fry my babies up. Please anyone. I'm getting nervous that they are not receiving to much light or if they have enough light. I figured I would only buy HPS lights if i was growing more than that. But any suggestions will help. Sorry forget. I have 2 27 watts and 2 14 watts. Both fluresant lights.

Need 5000 lumens/sqft hps achieves this the easiest and most cost efficient.

How many lumens you need are determined by sqr foot of your grow space....not how many plants you are growing. Listen to pc....he knows what he speaks of.

You would need an HPS if you had one plant, as mentioned it has nothing to do with how many plants you have going.

:yeahthat: all around! One plant or 20, the size of the room determines the amount of light needed! You'll definitely need the HPS for flowering, the lights you have won't do much! Truly, you likely need much more light for vegging as well!

Good luck, keep us informed!!

Yu will definitely need more light even for vegging. for starting out the little ones, what yu have is fine and they do well under that, but as they grow, they will get more hungry for the energy of stronger lights. Soon yu will see them stretching for the lights that yu have, and with 4 plants, as they grow and spread out, the light demand will quickly multiply by 4. Yu can get more compact flourescents (lots more), or yu can get the long tube T5HO flourescent lights (either multiple single bulb fixtures or 1-2 multibulb fixtures). But when the plants go to flower, they will need much more energy again than what vegging requires. That is why if yu want big beautiful buds yer best option is HPS.

Weird, i have about a 150Sq ft place to grow my plants.
And I had 2 1000watt HPs running in that room for about 50plants.
I had a case of spider mites and crapola. which brought me down to 20.
So now i only have 1 1000Watt HPS light on for 20 plants in a 150sq ft place.

Should i bring them into a smaller room then?
I wasn't aware that it isn't the amount of plants. It's the amount of space. :'(

Two 1000 watters gives ya 290,000 lumens divided by 5000(the amount of lumens needed for dank buds per square foot) = 58 sqft. that is the biggest your grow room should be for utilizing the most from your lights

My closet is 40"L x 70"H. my closet will fit me and only me in it. Its not that big. That's why i was asking if HPS is proper for that room or do i need a bigger room?

Glaucoma said:
My closet is 40"L x 70"H. my closet will fit me and only me in it. Its not that big. That's why i was asking if HPS is proper for that room or do i need a bigger room?

No you need more light for a room that size. almost twice as much.

Maybe it sounds crazy but if you do it you will see how much better and bigger your buds will be.

My grows in my sig all done with at least 10,000 lumens per sq/ft

Glaucoma said:

You have almost 20 sq ft--you need at least 2 400W or a single 1000W. My flowering room is 36" x 78", almost the exact same sq footage. I have 2 600W HPS lighting that space.

I would like to encourage you to look at 600 watters instead of 400 watters.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would like to encourage you to look at 600 watters instead of 400 watters.

:yeahthat:

I hve both a 600w and 400w and every time I look at the 400w I get mad I didn't buy a 600w instead. Best bang for your buck lumen to watt wise.

Jmo

yeah but they are so expensive. I thought growing would be so cheap but its not. You gotta think about the electricity bill. and all the other stuff to keep it maintain.

is there a easy way to make it urself or even buy it some were cheap. Cause theres no way im gonna spend $600 on an hps light no way

Glaucoma said:
yeah but they are so expensive. I thought growing would be so cheap but its not. You gotta think about the electricity bill. and all the other stuff to keep it maintain.

LOL--where did you get the idea that this was a cheap hobby? Remember that you are attempting to manufacture something that goes for $300 or so "retail" (what did you pay for the last bag you purchased? How good was it?). It takes far more than a fluoroscent bulb and a desk fan to produce dank. It also takes a lot of reading and studying.

You can get a 600W HPS with a digi ballast in a cooltube for under $200 with free shipping on Amazon.

Latest posts

Back