Loco for Coco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread on coco questions instead of spreading questions all over the place. This is for people who have grown in coco in the past or are currently to help us current coco growers.
My first question is, is there a point in time where you start to cut back on cal mag in late flower? Or cut back on nutes at all? I am at day 45ish and am feeding at a ppm of 950-1100. My runoff is super high, but I have been told not to measure runoff in coco or you will go crazy. As long as the plants look fine, the runoff is fine. I also water/feed every other day in 3 gallon pots which people call me crazy. Some people say feed 2-3 times a day and a minimum of 1. I have never had to.
I also have read that you feed right up to harvest, but do you cut back at all? Thanks.

Well jiminy cricket! We need more coco growers in here!!! LOLOLOL

I fed up until harvest last grow. I wasn't disappointed to say the least. But I may just try a weening off nutrients and cut out cal mag the last week. I am undecided.

Figured I would start a thread on coco questions instead of spreading questions all over the place. This is for people who have grown in coco in the past or are currently to help us current coco growers.
My first question is, is there a point in time where you start to cut back on cal mag in late flower? Or cut back on nutes at all? I am at day 45ish and am feeding at a ppm of 950-1100. My runoff is super high, but I have been told not to measure runoff in coco or you will go crazy. As long as the plants look fine, the runoff is fine. I also water/feed every other day in 3 gallon pots which people call me crazy. Some people say feed 2-3 times a day and a minimum of 1. I have never had to.
I also have read that you feed right up to harvest, but do you cut back at all? Thanks.
Question 1. Do you cut back cal/mag and nutes late in flower?
No. I'm not a believer in flushing at the end of a grow in a hydro garden. Coco should be treated like hydro imo. I know from experience that you negatively impact yield and resin production by cutting nutrients at that last push phase. I've done side by side on clones..... Either no difference or worse.
I also never let coco dry out. So I water with drippers everyday. If you let it dry out you will need to fresh water flush halfway through flower between day 28 and 35 because salt builds up quick in coco. Could be why your run off is so high.

I’m not an expert, but I tried coco once in 5 gallon containers. It drove me crazy. I ended up watering once per day with full GH nutes and CalMag every time, but the amount of runoff required to get the runoff ppm to an acceptable level frustrated me as it seemed wasteful. My memory may be faulty here, but I was probably feeding 2 gallons per day per plant and vacuuming out 1 gallon of runoff nutrients daily per plant. I went back to soil because I was worn out from handling only four plants. (8 gallons of nutrients mixed daily and 4 gallons of runoff…..I’m so glad that’s over!). My understanding was that if the ppm of the runoff climbs too high from the residual salt, you’ll experience nutrient burn. I was religious about measuring runoff ppm and flushing until it was within range.

Interestingly, I see coco and perlite mixes as the recommended medium with “sub irrigated planters”. So if you were to change your growing style to a planter like a “Gro Bucket” or “Octopot”, your coco medium should stay moist as there is a nutrient solution in the reservoir at all times. I plan to test this out with my next grow (coco in Octopots and GroBuckets). I’m hoping it proves to be a lower maintenance program and free of fungus gnats too.

Since coco lacks any nutrients at all, I would likely choose to feed until the end. But that’s simply my uneducated opinion.

Best of luck….I hope someone with more coco knowledge jumps in.

I’m not an expert, but I tried coco once in 5 gallon containers. It drove me crazy. I ended up watering once per day with full GH nutes and CalMag every time, but the amount of runoff required to get the runoff ppm to an acceptable level frustrated me as it seemed wasteful. My memory may be faulty here, but I was probably feeding 2 gallons per day per plant and vacuuming out 1 gallon of runoff nutrients daily per plant. I went back to soil because I was worn out from handling only four plants. (8 gallons of nutrients mixed daily and 4 gallons of runoff…..I’m so glad that’s over!). My understanding was that if the ppm of the runoff climbs too high from the residual salt, you’ll experience nutrient burn. I was religious about measuring runoff ppm and flushing until it was within range.

Interestingly, I see coco and perlite mixes as the recommended medium with “sub irrigated planters”. So if you were to change your growing style to a planter like a “Gro Bucket” or “Octopot”, your coco medium should stay moist as there is a nutrient solution in the reservoir at all times. I plan to test this out with my next grow (coco in Octopots and GroBuckets). I’m hoping it proves to be a lower maintenance program and free of fungus gnats too.

Since coco lacks any nutrients at all, I would likely choose to feed until the end. But that’s simply my uneducated opinion.

Best of luck….I hope someone with more coco knowledge jumps in.
TDubs You are on point with your coco
I use to grow that way vac and all

For your 1st question.
“is there a point in time where you start to cut back on cal mag in late flower?”

So around the last 2-3 weeks you want to have lower nitrogen levels and want to kinda keep the cal in the same level

Cal mag for coco more just a make sure your coco was buffered Soaked in 2.0 ec cal mag.
Or done from the factory

So run off is more less just there to keep ur ph and Ec(p) in check. When plant up take food the ph can adjust. So maintaining 20% run off of your daily total waterings. So if each plant get 100ml a day they should have 20ml run off min

Based off your input ec and how fast they eat the food dictates your ec(p) level there are times you want it to be higher for salt stress
And how much run off is needed to keep ec in check

Next question. How often should you water
You can water your plants once a day and they will live but yeilds will suffer (my biggest failure)

Plus waterings is key and understanding the difference between vegetive and genitive

So for 1 gallon
- 3% shot is about 100ml
(1-4% is vegetive)
- 6% shot is about 200ml
(6-10%) is genative

Lights on wait 30 min give first shot (shot1)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot2)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot3)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot4)

By this time if your trying to be vegetive I should see some run off you added about 10-12% and thst was you over night dry back

For veg u want more more the. 10-15% over night dry back

For gen you want 30-40% dry back

Want to get to filed capacity 2-3 hours after lights on.

After filed copacity wait hour or 2 and give a shot. For veg if thst ur goal or gen if thst you goal. And based off how much water runs off right after thst shot will tell you how much % the plant drinks in 2 hours. And if you need to wait some or give shots Sooners.

After about 60min to lights off we try not to water and hope to get our over night dry back on point

So when you water one day and feed the other. All you doing is lowering your ec(p) ( pore ec) your input ec is ec(b) ec bulk)

Get ur self a solus and leave it in a plant 🌱

This is a little confusing topic but I’ll do my best to explain
1685790014695.jpeg

(Chatgpt) translation from above lol
Regarding your first question about cutting back on Cal-Mag in late flower, it is generally recommended to maintain the same level of Cal-Mag throughout the flowering stage. However, during the last 2-3 weeks of flowering, it is advisable to lower the nitrogen levels.

Cal-Mag is particularly important for coco growing as it helps ensure that the coco medium is properly buffered. Ideally, the coco should be soaked in a Cal-Mag solution with an electrical conductivity (EC) of around 2.0. Some coco brands come pre-buffered from the factory.

Regarding measuring runoff in coco, the primary purpose is to monitor pH and EC levels. When plants uptake nutrients, the pH can fluctuate, so checking the runoff can help maintain the desired pH range. It is generally recommended to have a runoff of about 20% of your total daily watering amount. For example, if each plant receives 100ml of water per day, there should be a minimum of 20ml of runoff.

Your next question addresses how often to water the plants. While plants can survive with watering once a day, it is important to note that yields may suffer as a result. The frequency of watering is crucial, and it varies between the vegetative and generative stages of growth.

For the vegetative stage, a 3% shot (around 100ml for a 1-gallon pot) is typically recommended. This means giving the first shot (shot 1) after the lights turn on, waiting 15 minutes, and then providing subsequent shots (shot 2, shot 3, shot 4) every 15 minutes. By the end of this process, you should observe some runoff, indicating approximately 10-12% over overnight dry back, which is suitable for vegetative growth.

For the generative (flowering) stage, a 6% shot (around 200ml for a 1-gallon pot) is usually advised. The same process applies, with shots given after the lights turn on and subsequent shots at 15-minute intervals. This higher percentage of runoff (around 30-40% over overnight dry back) is more appropriate for generative growth.

The goal is to reach field capacity, where the coco medium is fully saturated, within 2-3 hours after the lights turn on. After achieving field capacity, wait for an hour or two before giving another shot, depending on your growth phase (vegetative or generative). The amount of runoff immediately after this shot will indicate the percentage of water the plant has consumed within two hours. Based on this, you can adjust your watering schedule.

Towards lights-off, it is generally recommended to avoid watering and aim for overnight dry back to maintain the plant's overall health.

In summary, alternating between watering and feeding days helps regulate the electrical conductivity of the solution (ECp). The input EC (ECb) refers to the EC of the nutrient solution, while the ECp determines the concentration of nutrients available to the plants. By managing these factors and observing the runoff, you can optimize your coco growing process.

For your 1st question.
“is there a point in time where you start to cut back on cal mag in late flower?”

So around the last 2-3 weeks you want to have lower nitrogen levels and want to kinda keep the cal in the same level

Cal mag for coco more just a make sure your coco was buffered Soaked in 2.0 ec cal mag.
Or done from the factory

So run off is more less just there to keep ur ph and Ec(p) in check. When plant up take food the ph can adjust. So maintaining 20% run off of your daily total waterings. So if each plant get 100ml a day they should have 20ml run off min

Based off your input ec and how fast they eat the food dictates your ec(p) level there are times you want it to be higher for salt stress
And how much run off is needed to keep ec in check

Next question. How often should you water
You can water your plants once a day and they will live but yeilds will suffer (my biggest failure)

Plus waterings is key and understanding the difference between vegetive and genitive

So for 1 gallon
- 3% shot is about 100ml
(1-4% is vegetive)
- 6% shot is about 200ml
(6-10%) is genative

Lights on wait 30 min give first shot (shot1)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot2)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot3)
Wait 15 min other shot (shot4)

By this time if your trying to be vegetive I should see some run off you added about 10-12% and thst was you over night dry back

For veg u want more more the. 10-15% over night dry back

For gen you want 30-40% dry back

Want to get to filed capacity 2-3 hours after lights on.

After filed copacity wait hour or 2 and give a shot. For veg if thst ur goal or gen if thst you goal. And based off how much water runs off right after thst shot will tell you how much % the plant drinks in 2 hours. And if you need to wait some or give shots Sooners.

After about 60min to lights off we try not to water and hope to get our over night dry back on point

So when you water one day and feed the other. All you doing is lowering your ec(p) ( pore ec) your input ec is ec(b) ec bulk)

Get ur self a solus and leave it in a plant 🌱

This is a little confusing topic but I’ll do my best to explain
View attachment 330111

(Chatgpt) translation from above lol
Regarding your first question about cutting back on Cal-Mag in late flower, it is generally recommended to maintain the same level of Cal-Mag throughout the flowering stage. However, during the last 2-3 weeks of flowering, it is advisable to lower the nitrogen levels.

Cal-Mag is particularly important for coco growing as it helps ensure that the coco medium is properly buffered. Ideally, the coco should be soaked in a Cal-Mag solution with an electrical conductivity (EC) of around 2.0. Some coco brands come pre-buffered from the factory.

Regarding measuring runoff in coco, the primary purpose is to monitor pH and EC levels. When plants uptake nutrients, the pH can fluctuate, so checking the runoff can help maintain the desired pH range. It is generally recommended to have a runoff of about 20% of your total daily watering amount. For example, if each plant receives 100ml of water per day, there should be a minimum of 20ml of runoff.

Your next question addresses how often to water the plants. While plants can survive with watering once a day, it is important to note that yields may suffer as a result. The frequency of watering is crucial, and it varies between the vegetative and generative stages of growth.

For the vegetative stage, a 3% shot (around 100ml for a 1-gallon pot) is typically recommended. This means giving the first shot (shot 1) after the lights turn on, waiting 15 minutes, and then providing subsequent shots (shot 2, shot 3, shot 4) every 15 minutes. By the end of this process, you should observe some runoff, indicating approximately 10-12% over overnight dry back, which is suitable for vegetative growth.

For the generative (flowering) stage, a 6% shot (around 200ml for a 1-gallon pot) is usually advised. The same process applies, with shots given after the lights turn on and subsequent shots at 15-minute intervals. This higher percentage of runoff (around 30-40% over overnight dry back) is more appropriate for generative growth.

The goal is to reach field capacity, where the coco medium is fully saturated, within 2-3 hours after the lights turn on. After achieving field capacity, wait for an hour or two before giving another shot, depending on your growth phase (vegetative or generative). The amount of runoff immediately after this shot will indicate the percentage of water the plant has consumed within two hours. Based on this, you can adjust your watering schedule.

Towards lights-off, it is generally recommended to avoid watering and aim for overnight dry back to maintain the plant's overall health.

In summary, alternating between watering and feeding days helps regulate the electrical conductivity of the solution (ECp). The input EC (ECb) refers to the EC of the nutrient solution, while the ECp determines the concentration of nutrients available to the plants. By managing these factors and observing the runoff, you can optimize your coco growing process.
Ironhead is that you?

Ironhead is that you?
Unfortunately not. My friend my just a medical grower up here in maine. Who had to do a lot learning to keep my dream alive. Turn everything down rebuilt and trying to hit all the new skills I’ve learned.

And night and day from before.

Love helping others because I didn’t have it.

Best of growing all always here for help.

I’ve grown everything but high pressure area

Unfortunately not. My friend my just a medical grower up here in maine. Who had to do a lot learning to keep my dream alive. Turn everything down rebuilt and trying to hit all the new skills I’ve learned.

And night and day from before.

Love helping others because I didn’t have it.

Best of growing all always here for help.

I’ve grown everything but high pressure area

welcome aboard

My guess, you reminded Roster of someone from a different forum.
Got ya. Well if anyone want to have a open conversation. Let me know I’m down to talk grow science not bro science :p. Not thst I’ve seen bro science here yet

I’ll be updating my journal stuff too can’t wait to add

Hope everything doing well.

Yes Good friend and grower I have not spoken to in years
He was a coco fanatic and fantastic coco/perlite grower
So you keep your cococoir wet all the time with multiple waterings?

Damn I know that feeling losing touch with someone.

I’ve done my fair obsession over coco.
Coco for cannabis ect

So each shot of water you give allows the plant to release hormones that it’s saw to grow
Ie no drought conditions

If we are talking just vegging every time the plant drys back 3% media size my case 100ml

After ramp up and they dry back.

Now for the most part the ec(p) to will
Always rise bc the plant drink more water then food.

And then I don’t want them to try back from last watering to first ramp up watering more then 10%

That 10% over night dry back allows the plant to not be over watered.

So I let the plant tell me when to water not guess

Is the best way to say it.

You can get a meter solus from meter group
Or u can just water and wait the next morning
And see how much (ml) you put in. And that ur dry back
Note slow and steady to not spill the keyy when first watering do it doesn’t go down the sides

All run off does is keep ph in check and ec(p) from building up

I was taking 6 inch cuts every 7 days easy

But before going into flower we try to aim for ec(p) to be closer to 5-6 before flipping to flower.
Typically goes generative until stretching ends
Then back to vegetive
Once the plant close 2 weeks to being done we go back to genative.
Some strain want more some want less

Mac 1 like to have no generative first first 2 weeks bc it doesn’t like to stretch. So keeping thst vegetive helps the stretch we want

For most part
2-3 week generative (stretch to end)
Vegetive for the bulking
Back to gen for ripe and end game

So yes plants never go back more the. 50%
Beside rotting in a starter plug into one gallon

Latest posts

Back