long and stringy plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperNoob

Reaction score
I just platned some seeds into these foamlike squares with little holes in them. some have come up out of the holes really long and stringy, is this going to be bad for my plants? some are as long as 3 in. and falling over, others are shorter, but don't look healthy.

SN

nope, probably a sativa. stake them up using straws or something and put a loose string around them. NO TAPE. it the stems are weak, stop watering. you can look fer a product called no-damp. can use popsicle sticks too.

"stretching"...usually due to low light levels and a lack of circulation. Flourescents tubes can be ..close.."real" close, within an inch. An oscillating fan blowing on the plants just enough to keep the leaves rustling, and you won't need sticks or props.

wow, thanks for the quick response. so i should take off the dome now too?

SN

SuperNoob said:
wow, thanks for the quick response. so i should take off the dome now too?

SN

"the dome" is most likely a part of the problem.(restricting circulation AND light) Yes, remove it. Seedlings don't need a humidity dome..IMHO.
You want the fan gently moving the plants. Not so much as to dehydrate thm, but just enough to make thm sway and rustle in the breeze.
Get the lights proprly adjusted and withi a few days, they'll be standing tall 'n proud, all by themselves.

You can transplant them into deeper pots, too. Bury them right up to the cotyldons(first round leaves). Carefull not to "overwater" here. It can cause "damping off".

Your ''foamlike squares'' is most likely rockwool btw

If you are going to transplant into soil, you can gently put the soil up around the stem until it's only a half inch or so from the top. This will support the plant and cause the stem to strengthen if you also do as Hick suggests.

Good luck man!

Latest posts

Back