Long Term Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kram

Reaction score
Long Term Storage

I’ve had a close, trusted relationship with a couple of dispensaries that took all the medicine I could produce, which averages about two pounds per month. Unfortunately both were closed down by the feds.

I’m reluctant to go dispensary door knocking given the uncertainty of the feds in southern California. So I’m going to wait it out, whatever that time period is. Presently I store my meds in half gallon Masson jars in a dark cool room. The jars are opened periodically and given a shake to insure nothing is going wrong. But my concern is it might be many months if not a year before (I’m a very careful person) building additional relationships.

My question is what’s the best long-term storage solution that will not degrade the quality of my meds?

Mason jars are good for at least a year. You should have a Caliber III hygrometer in there to monitor moisture content.

Stoned4daze61 says:
+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below
:

hygrometer.JPG

As long as you have it at your preferred cure moisture level, it should last for years in a dark cool room, ive let buds cure for 2 years in a mason jar, and it was amazing when i busted it out.

Food Saver works great for long term, but may screw up the 'bag appeal'.

I've had stuff over 2 years in and came out just the same as the day it was bagged.

I use mason jars, but can't speak for over 9 months or so. Just didn't last that long. LOL

Wet

really Orange? tell me about mylar bags, why would they work?

My stash gets too dry. I have no RH where I live though.

:ciao: Rosebud---you know temperature, light, and air are our enemies---peeps been storing food in mylar bags forever---put your herb in the bag, toss in an oxygen absorber, squeeze some air out, and seal the end with a normal clothes iron---done---this one here is a 1 gal just filled like a balloon for an example---they also come in 5 gal and bag thickness is priced accordingly

mylar bag.jpg

Thanks Orange, i had no idea. I keep mine in the dark in a mason jar, but it still dries out to fast. Peeps been doing this and I knew nothing. Thanks for the heads up. I will google. Thank you for keeping me current. Too late.

Mason jars and no light, once you give it the final seal it will dry slightly but not much, so if its to dry after a month in the jar, you put it in too dry. JMO

That is absolutely true dman. Last summer was hot and dry and I didn't add a humidifier to the dry room as I should have. Even if I put it away a little damp and burp for a month, it still is too dry. Yet another thing I need to perfect.:eek:

HipsterDoofus said:
Mason jars are good for at least a year. You should have a Caliber III hygrometer in there to monitor moisture content.

Stoned4daze61 says::
Thanks all for to valuable info and thanks HipsterDoofus, I did buy 10 Caliber III hygrometer, My meds are at a comfortable 50%-55% humidity, in mason jars where they will remain until the political climate changes and the feds get their wadded up panties out of their arse.

Latest posts

Back