Looking for ideas on building a DIY Smoke eating Air filter system for bedroom at night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosterMan

Who was that Guy
Reaction score
OK here's the deal my Dog has been having a severe breathing problem at night and the Docs still have no clue , so all my inside of house toking has ceased.
(my wife is also now bothered by the strong smell of MY Perfect smelling weed (thks James the perfect) LOL

OK so I want to build a small yet very efficient filter devise to eat ALL of my smoke I exhale into the room
Here is my idea and lets see if we can build on it Thank You Open to all suggestions @Tattered Old Graywolf and other mechanical minds here.

I plan to start with the smaller charcoal filter and mount a vortex fan onto it blowing air down through the filter
and a flexible hose (^ inch AC cooling air tube) on the other end that can be held in hand while exhaling smoke into it.
Have a simple off and on switch along with maybe a fan speed controller for noise reduction.
Quick flip and smoke should be gone.
I wonder if I should work a Hepa filter into the works too?
1654773227846.png

OK here's the deal my Dog has been having a severe breathing problem at night and the Docs still have no clue , so all my inside of house toking has ceased.
(my wife is also now bothered by the strong smell of MY Perfect smelling weed (thks James the perfect) LOL

OK so I want to build a small yet very efficient filter devise to eat ALL of my smoke I exhale into the room
Here is my idea and lets see if we can build on it Thank You Open to all suggestions @Tattered Old Graywolf and other mechanical minds here.

I plan to start with the smaller charcoal filter and mount a vortex fan onto it blowing air down through the filter
and a flexible hose (^ inch AC cooling air tube) on the other end that can be held in hand while exhaling smoke into it.
Have a simple off and on switch along with maybe a fan speed controller for noise reduction.
Quick flip and smoke should be gone.
I wonder if I should work a Hepa filter into the works too?
View attachment 299683
Needs a lampshade but this would definitely work 😊

Good question! I used Smog Hogs for welding fumes, but they aren't cheap, nor are most home electrostatic precipitators. With industry down, you might find a used one at an affordable price.

I see small desk top units, but know nothing about them, so let me poke around on small units and get back.......

I built my own electrostatic precipitator for an experiment harvesting cannabis vapor, using a high voltage supply built by PSI. He isn't cheap either, but if you can find a high voltage DC supply cheap, there isn't much else to a system beyond a screen to charge the stream and a screen to collect the charged particles.

531CB78A-5AB8-454E-9539-7AE2B3994809.jpeg

this is our bedroom smoke area. Not to fancy but it keeps the smoke from the room and the dog too. The porch is much nicer but not always accessible. Easy to take in and out too for smoke breaks. Do you happen to use an oil diffuser around your house. I found out that my cat louie was super allergic to them after almost killing him before realizing it. As much as I love my oils, I only use my sage spray now. Louie also loves to catch a buzz and always comes in my lap for some second hand smoke. I guess he does like some herbs…

Latest posts

Back